Alien - Inferno's Fall

Started by felix, Nov 27, 2021, 01:10:15 PM

Author
Alien - Inferno's Fall (Read 60,319 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 28, 2021, 09:37:04 PM
She used to run Studio Yutani blog and hosted dedicated podcast show. Member of AvPGalaxy under the username Delta Echo Alpha Delta (formerly known as muthur9000) although she hasn't posted here since May

Also, probably the biggest fan of Covenant out there (ranks it as her number 1 Alien movie)

She's also a very active administrator and moderator at several fan groups on other platforms like Facebook.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 28, 2021, 10:30:54 PM
It was more that everyone else is on board while you're in the corner actively not enjoying the (potential) concept.
The meme's usually used to indicate the crabby person in the corner trying to convince the others to stop enjoying something (at least, that's how I've always seen it used). I'm not doing that.

Maybe the guy at the party standing in the corner while everyone else enjoys the party?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 28, 2021, 09:37:04 PM
Also, probably the biggest fan of Covenant out there (ranks it as her number 1 Alien movie)

Seriously? ???

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yes seriously.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 28, 2021, 10:35:14 AM
The Covenant prequel book.
Oh. I didn't think that one was too bad. Hell, I might even prefer it to the film.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I can't comment; as I mentioned earlier, it's about the only Alien novel I've not read.

It's been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years, I just can't seem to bring myself to start it :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 28, 2021, 11:52:29 AM
The one time they actually tried to build upon Prometheus was when they introduced the brand into the comics but even that was stymied when they tied the stories exclusively to AVP crossover events.

For me, Fire and Stone failed mostly because they couldn't really give any definitive storytelling because of Covenant. It was all wishy-washy, uncertain storytelling like Prometheus itself. Though I still really loved Elden - but then the writers didn't even know why/how that mutation worked, it just did. Life and Death I really enjoyed.

But yeah, Prometheus opened up some doors and I'm glad to see them being explored - whether or not it involves XX121. I get why SiL might not like it, but the Engineers are still alien (kinda) and so are the black goo creatures. At this point in the lore, the black goo is the Alien.

That book's problem was not the lack of Aliens. It was just a huge waste.

So Clara's made it clear her contributions are story, not writing. Still cool to see her name on the cover! I'm quite curious about this one. I've been wanting to see the novels branch out further than just the fun they've been having with the DNA reflex the last year, so I'm quite eager to see where this one goes. Also interesting to see Zula back. Despite how Defiance petered off towards the end, and how just plain bad Resistance and Rescue were, I do like the character and enjoyed her in Prototype so keen to see her back.

Was talking with RidgeTop though, and given the reference to the war I'd expect this to be post Charybdis, which is post-Alien 3 so Zula should be pretty f**king old by this point. So maybe she's been chilling out in cryo somewhere?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 29, 2021, 12:59:30 PMFor me, Fire and Stone failed mostly because they couldn't really give any definitive storytelling because of Covenant. It was all wishy-washy, uncertain storytelling like Prometheus itself.

I wasn't really commenting on the quality of the story, just that I think it's a shame it was ultimately nothing more than a chapter in an AVP plot rather than launching off into its own series. It was never it's own thing.

But yeah, that too was probably a side-effect of them struggling around what the film people would let them do.

Didn't Fire and Stone get a huge re-write during development because Fox threw a shit-fit over what they originally had planned?

skhellter

skhellter

that fire and stone re-write is still so weird.

It forced them to avoid using the Deacons (which they had planned to do heavily).

Fox felt this was colliding with the neomorphs in Covenant.

which, when you really look at it.. it just doesn't.? the Deacon is a chaotic byproduct of the black goo infecting multiple people (holloway to shaw to the trilobite to the engineer) / The Neomorph was the chaotic byproduct of the genocide of the engineers... On a totally different planet.

Why did Fox feel like this was gonna create story conflict (with a non-canon story that features Predators, anyway?).

It just screams of producers meddling with a story and world they barely understand.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Well, that's kinda what I'm getting at when I talk about the poor management. They were presumably planning to do more with the Deacon in the next film, but evidently that plan - if it ever even existed - changed by the time they got around to making Covenant.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah it is a pity honestly, speaking of DNA Reflex though I thought Aliens Phalanx did it perfectly, with the Vootervert one still being essentially an Alien like we know them but with clawed hands and feet that can shape into shovels for burrowing.

Hope we see more of that in the future with the Alien adapting potentially useful traits into itself.

Rather than "hurr durr big animal with horns makes a big alien with horns" that I find dull.

Hope we also see this with the Neomorphs in this, with them as previously depicted taking on traits from their earliest incubation, for example the first we see developing spines to break through the host's spine.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 29, 2021, 12:59:30 PM
For me, Fire and Stone failed mostly because they couldn't really give any definitive storytelling because of Covenant. It was all wishy-washy, uncertain storytelling like Prometheus itself. Though I still really loved Elden - but then the writers didn't even know why/how that mutation worked, it just did. Life and Death I really enjoyed.

For all its problems in story department Fire & Stone at least tried to do something new with all these crazy mutations and exploring what Black Goo might be while Life & Death I felt steped back to safe and generic "Marines vs Aliens pew pew pew".

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 28, 2021, 08:16:23 PM
Maybe we should call it the Black Goo franchise now.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Nov 28, 2021, 11:03:26 PM
Maybe the guy at the party standing in the corner while everyone else enjoys the party?

I'll be back with this tomorrow.

Quote from: Stitch on Nov 29, 2021, 12:44:30 PM
Oh. I didn't think that one was too bad. Hell, I might even prefer it to the film.

I think it's actually a really nice sci-fi novel. It just would have benefited from being it's own thing, frankly.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 30, 2021, 01:28:18 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 28, 2021, 08:16:23 PM
Maybe we should call it the Black Goo franchise now.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/skinofevil_hd_386.png

This should be the first post of 'Best picture of a Black Goo' thread.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed