Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 279,628 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 06, 2021, 07:40:01 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Oct 06, 2021, 06:51:29 PM
Oh I see

Why can't you stand reading them ? Is it White's style specifically or you just don't read books in general ? I'm genuinely curious

It's the style. I've tried reading and the audiobook version and it just feels like an absolute chore (although still a lot better than most Alien licensed fiction tbf).

Funny you should say that, 'cause I kinda felt the same about Into Charybdis. I liked the ideas, I liked the setting but the tone of the book seemed a bit too ... Idk, preachy ? Book tried so hard to portray EVERYONE on both sides of the conflict as neither good or bad (well, maybe except Duncan) I found it hard to connect to or care about any of them.

Spoiler
Shy might be the best example of that. Ok, she went through traumatic experience of encountering Alien and I undestand her last few days on the planet were less than pleasent. But I don't understand her sudden turn into a greedy bitch at all. Where is that coming from ? Why is she all of a sudden like "f**k you all, I'm gonna take the money and fly home !" ?. Any sympathy I had for her was lost. One might say it's by design but it didn't worked for me at all. For me, It felt like character's turn for the sake of it, because EVERYBODY is neither good or bad.

And her sudden death twist. It wasn't surprising, it was frustrating. Ok, you caught me off-guard and killed most-likely protagonist. So what ? Make me care about the character and I won't give a shit about that it's obvious he/she's gonna make it to the end. It's like Rian Johnson syndrome, it's subverting expectations for the hell of it
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

Selfish lol

426Buddy

426Buddy

I had a complete opposite reaction to the characters than Kradan. They felt far more realistic than whats normal in fiction.

I didn't feel like the book went out of its way to show everyone was both good and bad. That's just reality, everyone is a mix of good an bad to one degree or another. Having black and white characters is normal for most fiction and it's totally ridiculous.

Except Duncan, she was pretty much all bad.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 06, 2021, 08:03:35 PM
Book tried so hard to portray EVERYONE on both sides of the conflict as neither good or bad (well, maybe except Duncan) I found it hard to connect to or care about any of them.

I really loved Into Charybdis, a 9 out of 10 for me, but I totally get your perspective on this, heard the complaint before, and even struggled with it myself at times.

Kradan

Kradan

For the record, I still think IC is a great well-written book. Even though I struggled with aspects of it book kept me engaged enough till the end. But it never quite clcked for me, there was no moment I went from "I like this" to "I lOVE this !"

Ultimately, I liked TCF more. It had smaller scale, was tighter, more focused and self-contained. I could sympathize with Blue, I could hate Dorian,, I was happy and unfortunately I didn't find anybody quite like that in the second book

And as with TCF, the best thing that came out of IC were bunch of interviews Alex did in aftermath of book's release. Such a nice fella with interesting views and good sense of humour

Sabres21768

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Oct 07, 2021, 03:09:37 AM
Quote from: RidgeTop on Oct 05, 2021, 02:28:37 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 04, 2021, 08:02:35 PM
https://twitter.com/PhillipKJohnson/status/1445115047408197645

Oh! Oh! Let me guess! Another Alien toy with some minor alterations?
What the heck is ALIEN: REVIVAL?
I would assume the name for the *2nd story arc

*edit: I thought the 2nd story arc had already been named but I was mistaken, so I changed this from 3rd to 2nd.

BlueMarsalis79

The best thing to come out of The Cold Forge's Into Charybdis, although I do think the fairly recent conversation between our own Aaron Percival and Alex White's the best the podcast ever got by far, evergreen content.

Kimarhi

I found the Cold Forge to be hella boring and an absolute slog to progress through. 

IC is much better, and at least there are aspects to like in the characters of IC.  Cold Forge was just Alien 3 with a bunch of jackasses and no Ripley. 

HuDaFuK

I'd sell a testicle to see Tristan do an adaptation of Cold Forge.

Better yet, Tristan illustrating a White short story à la Tribes.

Kradan

Let Tristan do his own stuff. I want him in writter's seat

Kimarhi

Tristian is the best Aliens artist of this era without question.  So I say why not both?

I still like Beauvis, Plunkett, and Dorman of the old generation tho. 

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 13, 2021, 02:57:20 AM
Tristian ... Plunkett

I feel like there are a lot of similarities actually.

SiL

SiL

I remember Tristan listing him as an influence somewhere (I think on the forum, even).

[cancerblack]

It's most obvious in the way he conveys "texture" imo, like rust or slime etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed