Dark Horse Comics Announces Predator: The Original Screenplay Comic Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 19, 2020, 05:49:00 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Predator: The Original Screenplay Comic Series! (Read 14,250 times)

SiL

I don't think it was ever a shape-shifter in the script. The earliest draft I read said the Predator had a human-like face under a mask.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 21, 2020, 09:13:29 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 20, 2020, 06:34:43 PM
So I'm going through the ol' Predator archives, and these early Hunter storyboards with Matheny / pre-Dutch that were up for sale back in the day at the Propstore of London still featured the original Predator old Boss Films design. That rat head. Even those legs. So it would appear that's the design they still should be going with here.

https://i.ibb.co/vLWRPGd/20200220-132831.jpg

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/ckeditor_assets/pictures/2967/content_predator-original-design-3.jpg?1395801040

Looks like I completely missed these storyboards. That's a good catch. Hmmm, makes the choice more odd. Unless they're going shapeshifter from the novel?

Quote from: SiL on Feb 21, 2020, 10:45:38 AM
I don't think it was ever a shape-shifter in the script. The earliest draft I read said the Predator had a human-like face under a mask.

The more I think of it, I'm probably confusing the issue. Storyboards, concept art, Boss Films work, none of that should be applicable here. This is just an adaptation of the written page, the original script and its words and descriptions therein. Nothing external outside that script should/would be relevant.

In regards to its content, do I believe every version of the Hunter/Predator scripts are in public circulation?  No, not at all, right?  So probably in the formerly Fox library there are versions out there that perhaps reference the hunting party, the Predator bleeding orange versus green, shapeshift ability to appear like other animals, etc. everything we heard about and/or read in the novel. Suddenly I don't want to look into this further, and I'm just plain excited what we may discover within each issue!  :o

Also:
I wonder if this will stay "20th Century 'Fox' Uncovered", or change to 'Studios' :

Russ840

I finished reading the 'Hunter' screenplay.

I really enjoyed the nuances.

Some good descriptions in there for the creature. 3 fingers, toes, semi translucent skin, orange blood and so on.

The final battle seems to be really long in this screen play. I could see it taking up the entirety of Issues 4 and 5.

Voodoo Magic

Was there shapeshifting in the draft you read Russ?

Russ840

Russ840

No. Not that I noticed. I did breeze over familiar story beats from the film but I was sure to read everything from the 'Hunter's' point of view and there was no mention in those.

His cameo was interesting though. It's still tech but it's like a sheath suit that is more akin to a chameleon as opposed to bending light. There is a great bit with a butterfly at the point he first appears.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 21, 2020, 02:14:17 PMThe more I think of it, I'm probably confusing the issue. Storyboards, concept art, Boss Films work, none of that should be applicable here. This is just an adaptation of the written page, the original script and its words and descriptions therein. Nothing external outside that script should/would be relevant.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Likely nothing that was developed outside of the original script is going to play a part in what we're going to see.

It would be cool to see a version that used the original suit design as well though, possibly adapting a later draft. Maybe something for down the road if this does well?

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 21, 2020, 02:14:17 PMAlso:
I wonder if this will stay "20th Century 'Fox' Uncovered", or change to 'Studios' :

Hopefully 20th Century Fox. It's still too early for the "Studios" part to be as recognisable to most people. That and just for old time's sake.

SiL

The earliest draft I've read is the one on AvPG from July 1985 with Matheny, human-faced Hunter, and a whole bunch of commandos who get wasted in the guerrilla camp attack:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/files/scripts/predator-1985-07-27.pdf

Interestingly the Smart Disc makes its appearance here (and is the weapon used to kill the Hunter).

D88M

The Old One

The Old One

Hoping it's completely over the top.

HuDaFuK

50 bonus points for having a guy named Blaine doing the art.

To be honest, the one early Predator script I've read didn't really differ much from the finished film, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for this.

SiL

The 1985 draft is substantially different. Same framework, but a lot of changes. Different characters, more characters, deaths swapped around (Blain has Dillon's death), stuff like that.

HuDaFuK

The extra mercs didn't really do shit though. Pretty sure they didn't even get any dialogue before they're killed off.

Mostly I remember the elaborate action scene in the canyon and the vastly expanded final duel between Dutch and the Pred as being the only notable differences.

SiL

The log bridge is a whole set piece and takes place earlier, some characters are completely different, different deaths; a ton of superficial changes throughout. Pretty sure one of Matheny's men survives even, or Anna is a dude.

HuDaFuK

Spoiler
Anna dies, Billy escapes in her place.
[close]

Stuff like that's fairly superfluous though. The basic framework's the same, even if the fates of different characters are moved around a bit.

The Old One

The Old One

So it's mainly up to the presentation then.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed