July's Hunting Grounds Free Update Is Here - Free Alpha Predator For All & City Hunter DLC Announced!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 17, 2020, 02:13:44 PM

Author
July's Hunting Grounds Free Update Is Here - Free Alpha Predator For All & City Hunter DLC Announced! (Read 28,738 times)

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 18, 2020, 12:16:23 AM
I'm honestly wondering when Illfonic will just nuke its community forums. Nothing but whine and cheese on that page. You'd think the community would've been excited they kicked a Predator of its bucket list but NOPE.

We can't completely blame them. I mean the Alpha Predator was just released but gameplay wise it has the same stats as the Hunter class so at the end of the day its the same maps, same gameplay, technically same Predator but different model. I guess people fear it will be the same case with City Hunter. I personally don't think people would cheese so much if at least the three new maps were released today as there is more substance for them to chew on for a bit until the real gameplay updates role in.

molasar

molasar

I'm honestly wondering when Illfonic will just nuke its community forums. Nothing but whine and cheese on that page. You'd think the community would've been excited they kicked a Predator of its bucket list but NOPE.

Yes, their forum feels like kindergarten with kids throwing temper tantrums.

They need John Kimble there.

acrediblesource

If you haven't played against the Alpha Predator you won't know how differently this class behaves.  Ill just leave it at that and not spoil it until some junkie reviews it  on youtube.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jul 18, 2020, 12:45:10 AM

We can't completely blame them. I mean the Alpha Predator was just released but gameplay wise it has the same stats as the Hunter class so at the end of the day its the same maps, same gameplay, technically same Predator but different model. I guess people fear it will be the same case with City Hunter. I personally don't think people would cheese so much if at least the three new maps were released today as there is more substance for them to chew on for a bit until the real gameplay updates role in.

shadowedge

Can't wait for City Hunter! So excited! He is my favorite Predator.

I found these images in the Reddit Predator Hunting Grounds subreddit. They address new game modes and maps!

Mr.Turok

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jul 18, 2020, 02:13:42 AM
If you haven't played against the Alpha Predator you won't know how differently this class behaves.  Ill just leave it at that and not spoil it until some junkie reviews it  on youtube.

I did, won against two and lost against one Alpha, hence why I said what I said. Additionally you can compare stats in the customization menu, it shows that they are pretty much the same. Hell, Predator main youtuber, Shifologist, pretty much confirmed their stats in his latest video. Additionally, it also depends on the skill of the Predator player too.

Compare to Samurai which is a more refined Berserk with less health buff (makes sense in turns of balance) and Elder (favorite class by the way) which is a Hunter/Scout hybrid, would have been cool if Alpha was a Hunter/Berserk hybrid, now that would be a challenge to face against.

Quote from: shadowedge on Jul 18, 2020, 02:23:22 AM
Can't wait for City Hunter! So excited! He is my favorite Predator.

I found these images in the Reddit Predator Hunting Grounds subreddit. They address new game modes and maps!

Glad to have confirmation that we don't have to pay for them!  ;D Least I can be even more happily patient with this coming our soon enough. 

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 17, 2020, 05:33:05 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 17, 2020, 04:10:59 PM
QuoteFor me it's never not done that. There's never been any sort of "confirm or cancel changes" options with these loadouts, so it always just saves whatever you've looked at, and if you go back to a different weapon you had all kitted out everything is back to default. It really should be like most other custom loadouts in games where you can look at stuff and change things around, but it still saves your previous options unless you specifically tell it to overwrite something you've changed.

Hmm, it doesn't change when I look at it. I can back out and it returns to normal. Only if I select it, it keeps.

Yeah that's what I mean. There's no way to just switch things round to see how they look without it also saving by default.

I guess you mean multiple things at once? Mix and match but don't commit? Because just looking at one thing, say different masks on my Alpha, or different skin shaders on my Alpha, I can scroll through them and view how they look without commitment. I back out and boom, back to normal.

Kradan

Quote from: molasar on Jul 18, 2020, 01:01:52 AM

Yes, their forum feels like kindergarten with kids throwing temper tantrums.

They need John Kimble there.

https://i.gifer.com/52Hj.gif

:D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 17, 2020, 03:42:45 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 17, 2020, 02:37:35 PM
Before we get down to the brass tax, free Alpha Predators to all? Some figure owners who shelled out money strictly for the code a month ago might feel a bit irate.

I'm fairly sure they specified it was early access from the go?

Hmm. I remember Illfonic indicated the Alpha Predator will be later available worldwide at a later date, but I don't recall it being advertised as "early access" to a free item, as Ole-Painless was. So I was expecting a paid DLC.

Update: Plenty of pissed off people in the groups who shelled out dough to buy the fig just for the code only to find out it was early free access. So it would appear the communication from the Illfonic team on this particular addition could have been much better.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 18, 2020, 03:25:49 AM
Quote from: Kailem on Jul 17, 2020, 05:33:05 PM
QuoteFor me it's never not done that. There's never been any sort of "confirm or cancel changes" options with these loadouts, so it always just saves whatever you've looked at, and if you go back to a different weapon you had all kitted out everything is back to default. It really should be like most other custom loadouts in games where you can look at stuff and change things around, but it still saves your previous options unless you specifically tell it to overwrite something you've changed.

Hmm, it doesn't change when I look at it. I can back out and it returns to normal. Only if I select it, it keeps.

Yeah that's what I mean. There's no way to just switch things round to see how they look without it also saving by default.

I guess you mean multiple things at once? Mix and match but don't commit? Because just looking at one thing, say different masks on my Alpha, or different skin shaders on my Alpha, I can scroll through them and view how they look without commitment. I back out and boom, back to normal.

Yeah exactly, you can't mix and match just to see how things look without them being saved. Or like if you have a gun all kitted out with the attachments and skin you want and you want to look at a new shader you just got for a different gun, when you switch to that gun to check it you then have to go back and manually re-attach all the stuff back on to your first gun again because there's no "do you want to save these changes?" message or anything like that when you completely back out of the customisation screen, it just saves whatever it is you've looked at at any given moment.

Ultimately it's not a huge deal most of the time, but now that we've gotten to the point where we've got more Predators than loadout slots to save them it's a tad annoying if you want to switch back and forth between something you've got saved and something you used to have saved but now have to manually remake every time because that's not enough loadout slots to save them both.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 18, 2020, 01:27:33 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 17, 2020, 03:42:45 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 17, 2020, 02:37:35 PM
Before we get down to the brass tax, free Alpha Predators to all? Some figure owners who shelled out money strictly for the code a month ago might feel a bit irate.

I'm fairly sure they specified it was early access from the go?

Hmm. I remember Illfonic indicated the Alpha Predator will be later available worldwide at a later date, but I don't recall it being advertised as "early access" to a free item, as Ole-Painless was. So I was expecting a paid DLC.

Update: Plenty of pissed off people in the groups who shelled out dough to buy the fig just for the code only to find out it was early free access. So it would appear the communication from the Illfonic team on this particular addition could have been much better.

I think part of it is just that it's arriving for free a lot earlier than most of us would have guessed, so anyone who shelled out for the code specifically is certainly going to feel a little peeved, especially since it's turned out to be free DLC and not something we even have to pay for.

I remember seeing on their Twitter feed though that they said they were going to be releasing it for PC and for the rest of the world on PS4 at a later date, but I guess some people just saw "new Predator exclusively with this NECA code" and left it at that.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 18, 2020, 01:34:29 PM
I remember seeing on their Twitter feed though that they said they were going to be releasing it for PC and for the rest of the world on PS4 at a later date, but I guess some people just saw "new Predator exclusively with this NECA code" and left it at that.

You squeeze in "for free" at a later date, no one is in an uproar and many don't shell out cash for a figure they don't necessarily want.

I'm a perfect example. I bought the fig solely for the code and only for the code. My plan was to resell the plastic on ebay. If I knew it was coming out for free in a month or two and not a a paid DLC, I would have just waited for the free release and saved my money.

SuperiorIronman

It wasn't exclusive, it was just in the initial wave, and Illfonic said it was coming out to everyone later this summer. It was always early access so buying the figure just meant you got it early. Now we didn't know if it was paid DLC or not and so it was a surprise it was a (free) chase reward but this just reeks of Jungle Hunter again when the community couldn't read.

The problem here is that they clarified that over Twitter. Illfonic's own forum is garbage so I get why they don't talk to people there but it's amazing to me how the people on Twitter knew, and there was an update over Reddit and they still couldn't put it together.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 18, 2020, 01:51:08 PM
Quote from: Kailem on Jul 18, 2020, 01:34:29 PM

You squeeze in "for free" at a later date, no one is in an uproar and many don't shell out cash for a figure they don't necessarily want.

I'm a perfect example. I bought the fig solely for the code and only for the code. My plan was to resell the plastic on ebay. If I knew it was coming out for free in a month or two and not a a paid DLC, I would have just waited for the free release and saved my money.

Illfonic's Twitter: "Oh, when I said it was going to be free in a month was I using my inside voice?"

Good thing you ended up liking the figure! :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Very true!  :)

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 18, 2020, 01:54:00 PM
It wasn't exclusive

No one here suggested it was.

QuoteIt was just in the initial wave, and Illfonic said it was coming out to everyone later this summer.

They never said free to everyone. It's a big difference.

QuoteNow we didn't know if it was paid DLC or not and so it was a surprise it was a (free) chase reward but this just reeks of Jungle Hunter again when the community couldn't read.

I can read just fine.

If it's a paid DLC, or communication was better about being early access to a free item, this doesn't become an issue, no assumptions are made, no one feels they were lured in buying a figure they normally wouldn't buy, and no one would have been reading articles like this:

Perhaps Illfonic didn't even know they were going free with it, until later. But the reaction is not surprising, based on the communication, and how flippin soon the free Alpha became available after the code.

SuperiorIronman

I wasn't calling you out Voodoo it's just that we had a bunch of information on Alpha and I'm kind of baffled people lost their shit on it once it came out.

The only thing we didn't know was if it was going to be paid or not but otherwise we knew the initial wave of figures would have a code and it'd be out later for everyone else over the summer. Now they should've stated it was coming out later in the initial announcement but they did clarify it coming later on Twitter. So anybody that spent between 30 and 60 dollars for digital goods and plastic they didn't want, that's on them. It was also only going to be exclusive between launch and September so it was going to be finite when it came to exclusivity.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 18, 2020, 03:08:33 PM
Now they should've stated it was coming out later in the initial announcement but they did clarify it coming later on Twitter. So anybody that spent between 30 and 60 dollars for digital goods and plastic they didn't want, that's on them.

So it's the consumers fault for not following @Illfonic? That's a hard sell for me. The Alpha figure, code and its ability to "unlock" the class got a lot of press. The later vague tweet didn't. We'll have to agree to disagree.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed