Ridley Scott implies "Hard R" intention

Started by Keyes, Jan 14, 2016, 07:46:58 PM

Author
Ridley Scott implies "Hard R" intention (Read 56,320 times)

Keyes

Ridley implies Alien: Covenant will be "hard R" rated with a scene that'll be more severe than Kane's chest burst!

Approx 2:40 mark.

Stolen

I'm so excited for this  >:(
Insane

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Sounds like he's also been doing location scouting on New Zealand's South Isle for Alien: Covenant?

Corporal Hicks

Very nice find. I checked for Alien: Covenant news from the awards yesterday but didn't see anything.  :-\ Should have checked again today. Just writing it up now.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Good to hear. Fox wanted Prometheus to be PG-13, but end up being rated R. Had Prometheus got rid of some of the violent scenes then it would been PG-13. I just hope the story is good.

Keyes

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2016, 08:23:34 PM
Very nice find. I checked for Alien: Covenant news from the awards yesterday but didn't see anything.  :-\ Should have checked again today. Just writing it up now.

Thanks! Admittedly I was curious for any news and watched a couple of random post-award interviews on YouTube to see if there were any new nuggets of Alien info, and here one was :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jan 14, 2016, 08:51:58 PM
Good to hear. Fox wanted Prometheus to be PG-13, but end up being rated R. Had Prometheus got rid of some of the violent scenes then it would been PG-13. I just hope the story is good.

To be fair to Prometheus, that medpod scene is pretty good.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2016, 09:11:22 PM
Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jan 14, 2016, 08:51:58 PM

To be fair to Prometheus, that medpod scene is pretty good.
But it wasn't scary for most of us. He should have went with the violent extraction where she practically dies on the table before being saved by the med pod. Then again that might have been taking it too far for today's sensitive audience.

Still I like hearing that A:C will be a hard R movie and that he will try to out do the chestburster scene... dude. :P

426Buddy

It is good news but also makes me a little wary, I feel he shouldn't be trying to compete with the chestburster scene.

Astronoë

Well...he said before Prometheus came out "I'm going to scare the shit out of you!" and failed pretty much on that...
...the med pod scene started good, then became meh once saw generic squid..
...Fifield was a radioactive mutant-zombie...felt so out of place...the snakes, didn't care much for them...
..the unknown was scary though, the living Engineer what he might do, react, say...the last part was cut out, so bad decision...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 14, 2016, 09:23:56 PM
Still I like hearing that A:C will be a hard R movie and that he will try to out do the chestburster scene... dude. :P

That made me laugh.  :laugh:

Quote from: 420Buddy on Jan 14, 2016, 09:50:44 PM
It is good news but also makes me a little wary, I feel he shouldn't be trying to compete with the chestburster scene.

If he can one-up that, I'll be impressed.

OpenMaw

The way to do that is to not sell it.

The reason that scene is so damn effective is it's part of a generally believable series of events that is built up over several scenes forming the spine of the first act of the story, and when it happens on a first viewing you don't actually know what's happening.

Violating the body in a way that would over-do Kane's birth... I really don't know how you pull that off, exactly, but I do know it has to be done with a lot of atmosphere to be very effective.

windebieste

It's most effective if you watch these movies as intended.  The slow build up is one thing but the chestburster scene has become staple for this series.

Also don't forget when this movie was released audiences weren't expecting it.  'ALIEN' followed on the tail of 'Star Wars'.  People not forewarned in 1979 were expecting a nice pleasant space romp with light swords and fast action.  Instead, they got a moody slow paced movie that featured a fanged penis that erupted out of its victims chest at the halfway mark.

So yes.  People had good reason to respond strongly to 'ALIEN' back in 1979.  There was nothing like it. It was unique and its surprise and intensity can never be repeated.

Casual Saturday night audiences now will just say "Oh look.  It's another 'ALIEN' movie.  Let's go see some poor chap get shredded from the inside!"  It's expected. 

The big surprise will be an 'ALIEN' movie that lacks such a scene, where those grisly events happen off screen.  It can be done.  After all it was done most effectively recently in 'ALIEN: Isolation'.

The fact is, chestbursting has become passe and cliche in this series. 

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

It doesn't neccessarily have to be another "chestburst" scene. Personally, I'd like a better realization of black goo or biomechanical transformation. That has the potential to be a real disturbing body horror scene.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

It's definitely the whole concept of 'one-upping' that makes some of us wary. I mean you could do, say, "this time, it bursts out of his [you-know-what]!" Would that be worse? Definitely. But would that make it 'better' than the chestburster? Well, that all depends on the story surrounding the event.

Nastier isn't necessarily better, as AvP:R demonstrated so crudely...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed