ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,944 times)

HuDaFuK

It's at the front. Depending on how the arm is hinged, it would would dig into the floor (and you). Plus the gun has to be held on the right because of where the foregrip is, so you'd need to lie on top of the arm. That's not gonna work.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Just a note: laying prone is face down.  Laying face up is supine.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 22, 2016, 07:55:28 AM
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is stuff like requiring you to lie down on your back in the middle of a firefight is egregiously dumb. The fact Brimmicombe even went down that route just proves how hard he had to try to justify it in a real shooting match.

I don't understand why LBW didn't just introduce a different SAW into the USCM arsenal that they could be equipped with for different types of missions.  The CMTM made up whole vehicles that didn't appear in the films, so why not weapons too?

Say what you will about A:CM, at least it gave the marines a variety of firearms.

Here you go, SM.  Can I get a "quite?"

SM

gold

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 22, 2016, 07:04:14 PM

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is stuff like requiring you to lie down on your back in the middle of a firefight is egregiously dumb. The fact Brimmicombe even went down that route just proves how hard he had to try to justify it in a real shooting match.

I don't understand why LBW didn't just introduce a different SAW into the USCM arsenal that they could be equipped with for different types of missions.  The CMTM made up whole vehicles that didn't appear in the films, so why not weapons too?

Say what you will about A:CM, at least it gave the marines a variety of firearms.

LBW kind of does though. 80% of the info on the Smart Gun in the CMTM is about what a terrible gun it is, and how no one likes using it. That right there makes it believable again for me.

SM

SM

I can't see the pic so you can have an "Indeed" instead.

QuoteLBW kind of does though. 80% of the info on the Smart Gun in the CMTM is about what a terrible gun it is, and how no one likes using it. That right there makes it believable again for me.

There's one quote about how M56s sucked in desert environments due to heat and sand.  Where's the rest of the text about how terrible it is?  Another quote says they all have different 'personalities' and if you find a good one, hang onto it, and another quote talks about how spooky the aim is, with bursts of bullets all hitting the exact same point on the target - neither of these are saying the gun is terrible.  Is there stuff elsewhere in the book I missed?

gold

Quote from: SM on Sep 23, 2016, 12:45:31 AM

I can't see the pic so you can have an "Indeed" instead.

QuoteLBW kind of does though. 80% of the info on the Smart Gun in the CMTM is about what a terrible gun it is, and how no one likes using it. That right there makes it believable again for me.

There's one quote about how M56s sucked in desert environments due to heat and sand.  Where's the rest of the text about how terrible it is?  Another quote says they all have different 'personalities' and if you find a good one, hang onto it, and another quote talks about how spooky the aim is, with bursts of bullets all hitting the exact same point on the target - neither of these are saying the gun is terrible.  Is there stuff elsewhere in the book I missed?

I don't know, you may perceive it differently than I did when I read it (wouldn't be the first time!). But I got a distinct vibe that the gun was an unreliable lemon. I mean, there are 4 quotes on the M56 and these are three of them. (The fourth says it's best not to "fight" the gun.)

SM

I can't see the picture unfortunately, but there's five quotes and one of them is negative.  The rest of the non-quote text is neutral matter-of-fact stuff about the gun.

How did I end up pumping up the tyres of smart guns and the CMTM on a thread about WYR...

SiL

Quote from: SM on Sep 23, 2016, 02:58:09 AM
I can't see the picture unfortunately, but there's five quotes and one of them is negative.
The three quotes shown are all negative. The first is negative because the gun is useless in a desert, the second says you need to manually cock the gun for the first round or it'll jam, and the third is about how inconsistent they were with their personalities.

None of them mention problems with the rig itself being in the way, though.

gold

I can't see the picture unfortunately, but there's five quotes and one of them is negative.  The rest of the non-quote text is neutral matter-of-fact stuff about the gun.

How did I end up pumping up the tyres of smart guns and the CMTM on a thread about WYR...

Dude we really read things differently don't we :)

Local Trouble

You have your reasons.  That even you don't know what they are just goes to show mysterious you really are.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Sep 23, 2016, 03:11:49 AM
I can't see the picture unfortunately, but there's five quotes and one of them is negative.
The three quotes shown are all negative. The first is negative because the gun is useless in a desert, the second says you need to manually cock the gun for the first round or it'll jam, and the third is about how inconsistent they were with their personalities.

None of them mention problems with the rig itself being in the way, though.

I didn't read either of the second two as being especially negative.  Just anecdotal quirks with the gun, neither positive nor negative.

Certainly doesn't equate to "80% of the info on the Smart Gun in the CMTM is about what a terrible gun it is".

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 21, 2016, 12:53:58 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 21, 2016, 12:22:28 PMWhile I agree that the Smartgun is a goofy weapon from a logic standpoint, it's worth pointing out that you can turn the tracking off (in the games) or at least fire it without tracking targets (we see both Vasquez and Drake do it).

True, but in that case you may as well ditch the harness entirely and have a regular machine gun that allows you to move around more freely.
May I direct your attention to the Rule of Cool....

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 22, 2016, 04:49:07 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2016, 10:11:30 PM
Another baseless assumption.  The first time Vasquez fires the gun in the hive, she's not tracking targets.

I always found it ironic that Vasquez and Drake sprayed heavy machinegun fire in the bowels of the atmosphere processor and yet didn't cause the damage that ultimately led to its overload.
I always figured the Smartgun fire was a contributing factor to the catastrophic damage. Like yeah it probably wasn't as damaging as a Dropship crashing into it, but the gunfire likely wasn't helping anything.

The CMTM makes up a couple guns (the PIG, SADAR, off the top of my head), and I can kind of understand why it didn't  bother detailing some of the other guns you see in the Sulaco since they're almost entirely unmodified real-world guns.
The Sulaco did have some modified Lewis Guns apparently, and enough of them are hidden in their storage cage that the CMTM could have fudged the details and turned them into super-cool sci-fi LMGs.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 23, 2016, 04:51:42 AMI always figured the Smartgun fire was a contributing factor to the catastrophic damage. Like yeah it probably wasn't as damaging as a Dropship crashing into it, but the gunfire likely wasn't helping anything.
The primary heat exchangers were deep in the bowels of the AP and the dropship's crash didn't appear to penetrate that far inside the structure.  Maybe Bishop was just covering for Drake and Vasquez dooming them all.  :)

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 23, 2016, 04:51:42 AMThe CMTM makes up a couple guns (the PIG, SADAR, off the top of my head), and I can kind of understand why it didn't bother detailing some of the other guns you see in the Sulaco since they're almost entirely unmodified real-world guns.  The Sulaco did have some modified Lewis Guns apparently, and enough of them are hidden in their storage cage that the CMTM could have fudged the details and turned them into super-cool sci-fi LMGs.

I think I would have preferred the CMTM to simply acknowledge the limitations of the smart gun and mention that the Lewis Guns were the preferred LMGs for stand-up fights.

Xenomrph

I think I would have preferred the CMTM to simply acknowledge the limitations of the smart gun and mention that the Lewis Guns were the preferred LMGs for stand-up fights.
I can definitely agree with that.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 26, 2016, 06:08:55 AM

I can definitely agree with that.

I don't suppose A:CM or any other EU stories gave the marines another light or medium machine gun that could have been the modified Lewis?  I'm calling upon your extensive knowledge of that stuff now so don't disappoint me.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed