Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,592 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 29, 2013, 04:36:23 AM
Im not happy about the idea of there being a reboot because it then "resets" canon in comic books, then again, it was shaky as it was anyway. But Im a huge fan of Book I and II and hate to see it being discarded in, lets call it, "comic book" canon.

Well from what Chris Sebela has said on his Tumblr, they are not declaring any of the old stuff non-canon or moot, if that's what you're thinking. That stuff is still considered canon from my understanding, but the new comics and stories are not connecting with any of the old stuff. These new comics are like the New 52 for the Alien-Predator franchises. If you want to follow the old stuff, you can. What's to stop you?

If you plan on using the material from the old comics for debates between character vs character, but need canonical material then I say go for using the old stuff or go for using the new stuff.

-Rakai'Thwei

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Oct 29, 2013, 05:03:27 AM
Book 1 and Book 2 can't fit with the film continuity anyway - and they haven't for 17 years.  Doesn't stop them being good comics.

Of  course, but as I mentioned, comic books had their own alternative timeline and universe, their own canon, even if shaky, most of them were based or acknowledged the events of the first series

predxeno

predxeno

Book 1 and Book 2 can still be canon, no one said they couldn't.

Leventa24

Pretty glad to hear this. Looking forward to heading into my local comic shop to pick these up frequently. Should be fun.

Rambo

Rambo

Quote from: predxeno on Oct 29, 2013, 07:05:10 PM
Well everyone has their own definition of canon, and for most people (in the world, not just this message board) the films are the basis, which would rule out Books 1 and 2.

predxeno

predxeno

I've never trusted other people's definition of canon because it can be too encompassing to include movies as well, depending on one's perspective.  Fox and the Blu-Rays of the films consider them canon, that's good enough for me.

SM

SM

QuoteBook 1 and Book 2 can still be canon, no one said they couldn't.

Any other material that conflicts with the Alien infestation of Earth doesn't consider them canon.

Fox has produced or licensed content that does just that.

predxeno

predxeno

That's why it's up to the fans to fix these issues; every franchise has it's discrepancies.

SM

SM

Most fans coudn't give a shit at fixing the unfixable though.

They simply put it down to "alternate continuity" or "not canon", and be done with it.

predxeno

predxeno

Well to quote an old adage, "The simplest way isn't always the right way."

SM

SM

Your way will be the "right" way, when it stands up to scrutiny.  Even when you rejig x and ignore y and reinterpret z, and it still doesn't work, it can't, by any measure, be called "right".

predxeno

predxeno

Every franchise has this problem, even the ones by the same directors. :-\

SM

SM

That's not an answer - it's just the usual cop-out dodge.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SSj_Rambo on Oct 29, 2013, 09:59:15 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Oct 29, 2013, 07:05:10 PM
Well everyone has their own definition of canon, and for most people (in the world, not just this message board) the films are the basis, which would rule out Books 1 and 2.
Yeah I'm not so sure on that. "Most people in the world" likely either wouldn't care one way or another about "canon", or would accept what pretty much any "authority" said on the matter (because, as mentioned, casual readers don't care). And the "authority" in this case has consistently said they're "canon".

Quote from: SM on Oct 29, 2013, 10:15:52 PM
QuoteBook 1 and Book 2 can still be canon, no one said they couldn't.

Any other material that conflicts with the Alien infestation of Earth doesn't consider them canon.

Fox has produced or licensed content that does just that.
This assumes "canon" and "continuity" are synonyms. :)

The EU can all be "canon" without holding up to absolute fine-tooth-combed scrutiny from a continuity standpoint -- and that's an unrealistic standard to hold them to anyway, since even the films fail that test.
The EU can also all be part of the same continuity if you're willing to be creative with it and allow it some wiggle room, and that's been the case with literally every fictional "universe". If you don't want to put forth the effort and would rather throw your hands up in the air and say "oh well, doesn't fit!", well... that's your loss, I guess. :)

Quote from: SM on Oct 30, 2013, 02:51:15 AM
Your way will be the "right" way, when it stands up to scrutiny.  Even when you rejig x and ignore y and reinterpret z, and it still doesn't work, it can't, by any measure, be called "right".
Except that it's your opinion that it doesn't work -- it's not like it's some kind of universal truth. It doesn't work for you, and that's perfectly okay. For PredXeno it does work for him, so it's the right way for him.

TorsoInvader

IMO the EU is a mess already.Also steve perry came out and said that comic Ripley was an android who does not know she is an android.

So take that as you will. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed