Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 82,875 times)

Nathsp

Nathsp

Quote from: Xan21 on Sep 20, 2018, 03:02:35 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 18, 2018, 09:41:56 PM
Well I still say look on the bright side. The Predator is a decent action flick. :)

Uh nope
For about 30 min, yes, then it become a project of some student, a bad student i mean

BartTP

BartTP

Predators 2010 beats the shit out of The Predator 2018 - and you are telling me it was twice as cheaper?!

ELDERCLANLEADER

There is no two ways about it imo, everyone who was involved in this movie had a roll in its downfall... You got 20th century fox going down the whole "bigger is better" mentality and the truth is the script was just dire, iv used this analogy before, but you cannot build a skyscraper when its foundations are made out of sand. This film was in trouble the moment Fred Dekker got his hands on it. Not only that, but he went on record to say he didn't like the original, i mean what was anyone seriously expecting? And what the hell was fox thinking employing someone that didn't like or respect the source material? No amount of flashy cgi effects or comedy is going to cover up the mess it was in from the very beginning. And ultimately Shane Black is the captain of the ship, so he is just as much to blame as Fox and Fred Dekker. I'v watched it twice now, and not only is it a bad predator film, its one of the worst films of the year. The editing is horrendous, and theres just elements in there that broke my heart, for me this was predators funeral. i just cant get the predator killer out of my head...  ???

Biomechanoid

BOM describes doom and gloom for The Predator's box office.....

"Last weekend's #1 film, The Predator, is looking at a steep drop this weekend. Despite playing in 1,368 more theaters than 2010's Predators, The Predator was unable to top its predecessor's opening weekend, pulling in just $24.6 million last weekend from 4,037 locations. To that point, the 2010 film dipped a massive 71.7% in its second weekend and we see no reason for The Predator to fair much better. Right now we're expecting a 66% decline and a three-day around $8.4 million and a domestic cume topping $40 million by the end of day Sunday."

I've mentioned before I rarely go to the theater, but I was going to make the Predator an exception. But the juggernaut of negativity (not just box office, also including reviews) has me in procrastination mode. I may very well wait till this shows up on VUDU.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

If we get a new pred film, will it have the Disney logo now? I don't want Shane to return. I hope Disney announces a new film soon.

Serpico Jones

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Sep 21, 2018, 05:01:25 AM
BOM describes doom and gloom for The Predator's box office.....

"Last weekend's #1 film, The Predator, is looking at a steep drop this weekend. Despite playing in 1,368 more theaters than 2010's Predators, The Predator was unable to top its predecessor's opening weekend, pulling in just $24.6 million last weekend from 4,037 locations. To that point, the 2010 film dipped a massive 71.7% in its second weekend and we see no reason for The Predator to fair much better. Right now we're expecting a 66% decline and a three-day around $8.4 million and a domestic cume topping $40 million by the end of day Sunday."

I've mentioned before I rarely go to the theater, but I was going to make the Predator an exception. But the juggernaut of negativity (not just box office, also including reviews) has me in procrastination mode. I may very well wait till this shows up on VUDU.

It's going to be interesting to see who's career survives this train wreck.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Serpico Jones on Sep 21, 2018, 06:03:56 AM
It's going to be interesting to see who's career survives this train wreck.

Shane Black is set to direct Doc Savage with Dwayne Johnson stepping in as the golden age bronze superhero (or is Savage a silver age?). So unless the studio or whoever executive powers in charge of that project waver with doubt, it appears Shane will continue to pound the cinematic pavement.

Dekker, on the other hand, has no current/future projects on his plate that I know of, so it's possible he could be one of the career casualties you suggest.

Corporal Hicks

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Can't really articulate my disappointment at the box office failure.

I still maintain its a 5/5 movie for me. Maybe a 3/5 movie with 2 extra esoteric points, the humour worked well and the tweeness of the kid and almost 80s nostalgia (Monster Squad, Flight of the Navigator, ET) also worked.
True its a "twisting of the genres" and I guess people saw the tone as inconsistent, but again my opinion is it enhanced the film.

I can't wait for the Blu-Ray which I hear is due as soon as December 2018.

Hicks do long-term Blu-Ray, DVD and Cable Home Box Office download sales count as breaking even or is this movie, as a commercial venture, cooked?

Johnny Handsome

Well, i'm beyond disappointed in the box-office to say the least, but well, money is not everything.

I still have a fun new movie to add to the collection, and this one has rewatch-value for me, so it's win-win.

And guys, don't fool yourself, this is not the end of the Predator franchise, there will be other movies, by the end of it's run we will see this movie still doing over a 100 million, possibily much more with China involved.

Now, for an 88 million dollar movie, that's bad, but not for a 30+ year old franchise that had low budget productions up until now. There will be other movies, just not that big.

I was hungry for that big, blockbuster style Predator movie, and it was fun, but i think they should scale it back now. The dogs, reshoots, CGI Predator etc., they could have saved a shitload of cash in my book and this movie would have made some money, but they went all-in on this, and we see there are not enough people into this.

It's a shame, but i rather have a small movie that doesn't get tested and twisted six ways to Sunday.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 17, 2018, 06:51:30 PM
It was a nice and easy job. Bit of retail, bit of cleaning, get free films on the off-day.

I was forced into early retirement, but once in awhile I will take a part time seasonal job to get me outta the house, like Christmas at Macy's. Measly paycheck, but it allowed me to stock up on socks and underpants on employee discount. I decided to apply at a theater nearby for the summer blockbuster months. They never called me back. I wanted to call them and scream, hey I own a movie website, dammit! But then I realized that means jack squat to them.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR on Sep 21, 2018, 05:20:46 AM
If we get a new pred film, will it have the Disney logo now? I don't want Shane to return. I hope Disney announces a new film soon.

I'm not sure what Disney will do with several franchises that I like.
It seems Disney wants big box office hits and doesn't want to take more risks when a movie series under performs.

- Take stand alone Star Wars; the Obi-Wan film is on hold after "Solo" flopped.
- "Alien Covenant" had so so box office and there's no word of Disney approving another Alien movie.
- I enjoyed "The Predator" as a fun action/comedy film.
I have my doubts that Disney will allow another Predator movie for a long time.

;)

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR on Sep 21, 2018, 05:20:46 AM
If we get a new pred film, will it have the Disney logo now?
No, it won't.

QuoteI don't want Shane to return.
He won't.

QuoteI hope Disney announces a new film soon.
They won't.

ELDERCLANLEADER

Not being funny, but there's not a cat in hell's chance that Disney would of allowed this film to come out under their brand name. The sooner fox is out the door the better, they have some great franchises and rather than showing them love, and crafting quality films to be remembered, they would rather run them into the ground. Embrace the change people, the house of mouse is coming, and I for one cannot wait, if it means getting films that are actually good.  :o

Serpico Jones

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Sep 21, 2018, 04:19:52 PM
Not being funny, but there's not a cat in hell's chance that Disney would of allowed this film to come out under their brand name. The sooner fox is out the door the better, they have some great franchises and rather than showing them love, and crafting quality films to be remembered, they would rather run them into the ground. Embrace the change people, the house of mouse is coming, and I for one cannot wait, if it means getting films that are actually good.  :o

Disney would've pulled a "Rogue One"and fired the director. They would've reshot half the movie with a different director and screenwriter.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed