How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 18, 2016, 06:00:24 AM

Author
How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity (Read 41,803 times)

whiterabbit

So what could they possibly use from the first movie to spin off this new movie?

overthere

Dutch's traumatized look to explain why he's now a recluse.

The Predator's missing space pod.

The CIA deliberately sending them to the jungle, knowing the Predator is there. Maybe the government has a deal with Predators, you give us prey, we won't invade you.

Shane's wording is confusing, there really isn't anything that was building up in the original that could be revealed here. Maybe we're all missing something and he picked up a cool thing that went over our heads. We'll see.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: overthere on May 19, 2016, 10:43:13 AM

The CIA deliberately sending them to the jungle, knowing the Predator is there. Maybe the government has a deal with Predators, you give us prey, we won't invade you.

whaaaa...?

Xenomrph

I never saw the Predator series continuity as particularly "complicated".

Corporal Hicks

It really isn't. I think it's ones of the series strengths. I just wish they'd play with it and give my movie set in the past!  :laugh:

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 19, 2016, 04:47:07 PM
It really isn't. I think it's ones of the series strengths. I just wish they'd play with it and give my movie set in the past!  :laugh:

Or the future! Imagine a movie set during the Rage Wars. Seeing all that tech. I think that could be done as a sort of spin off to show us what the far future looks like.

I really love the 22nd and 23rd centuries, as well as Resurrection's 24th century. But I'm curious to see what the late 27th century will look like in film or even animated.  ;D

That's another aspect I love about Alien and Predator. Not only the groundedness in science, but also the constant evolution throughout the eras. It's literally like a history of the series.

Alien and Aliens era is like a favourite period of time in-universe for many of the fans. It's literally like Assassin's Creed, it's got limitless possibilities because it's a big history lesson essentially. You can literally go to any point of time and at any place and do a story.

Wanna see a Predator hunt the Mayans? Sure, no problem!

Wanna see a Predator hunt during the Crusades? Sure, no problem!

Wanna see a Predator during WW1 and WW2? Sure, no problem!

Wanna see Aliens and Predators terrorize the modern day? Sure!

Wanna see how humans adapt in the near future? Got ya covered!

Wanna go to the far future? No problem!

Wanna see the end of the freakin' universe? Sure!!!

Xenomrph

The problem is that "period" movies tend to be expensive and difficult to do if you go for period accuracy, and if you're not going for period accuracy, why bother?

Like don't get me wrong, I think Predator movies set in the past could be great, but I get why it doesn't happen.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on May 19, 2016, 05:28:49 PM

Or the future! Imagine a movie set during the Rage Wars. Seeing all that tech. I think that could be done as a sort of spin off to show us what the far future looks like.

Exactly! I'm more interested in the past myself but I wouldn't stick up my nose at a film based in the future. With Colonial Marines. Let's rock!

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 19, 2016, 10:35:23 PM
The problem is that "period" movies tend to be expensive and difficult to do if you go for period accuracy, and if you're not going for period accuracy, why bother?

Like don't get me wrong, I think Predator movies set in the past could be great, but I get why it doesn't happen.

I get why we don't get them. I just wish we would get them. I think it'd be a real visual treat and bring some freshness to the cinematic Predator. If Black succeed in making an event out of The Predator, perhaps we might get to see a more ambitious Predator in the future.

T Dog

I KNEW there was something fishy about that Cabinet Minister!!!!!!! That's gonna be the connection for sure!!!!!!

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: tmjhur on May 20, 2016, 07:15:16 AM
I KNEW there was something fishy about that Cabinet Minister!!!!!!! That's gonna be the connection for sure!!!!!!
Yeah, maybe we find out that in the end, he really does travel on the wrong side of the border all the time!

Maybe he was supposed to bring a suitcase with secret information on new prey to the Predator, he didn't make that deal, so the Predator blew his ass down. So the deal has burst, leading to a global Invasion of Predators, which leads to Billy (who was a secret spy) saying "We're all gonna die".

It makes sense now, everything  :o

overthere

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 20, 2016, 07:55:46 AM
Yeah, maybe we find out that in the end, he really does travel on the wrong side of the border all the time!

Maybe he was supposed to bring a suitcase with secret information on new prey to the Predator, he didn't make that deal, so the Predator blew his ass down. So the deal has burst, leading to a global Invasion of Predators, which leads to Billy (who was a secret spy) saying "We're all gonna die".

It makes sense now, everything  :o

I thought this was common knowledge.

DUB1

Complicated continuity? Are we talking about the Predator franchise or Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

(For the record, I have little trouble making sense of TCM's continuity, but I can see why it might be difficult for some people)

Anyway, I don't feel like the Predator franchise needs any kind of "Mytharc" in particular. But I'm open to the idea.

Xenomorphine

Interesting idea, but I don't think they're going to find much in the way of actual on-screen stuff to use. Maybe the Hopper team stuff, but it's only really the hardcore fandom who'd even remember that name. One of the great things about 'Predator' is that it's so self-contained and doesn't really have any loose threads at the end.

Quote from: overthere on May 19, 2016, 10:43:13 AM
The CIA deliberately sending them to the jungle, knowing the Predator is there.

I don't remember anything suggesting that... Kind of ridiculous to have done that and not prepared them accordingly.

QuoteMaybe the government has a deal with Predators, you give us prey, we won't invade you.

Predators show up all over the world and do as they please. The US government would have no jurisdiction outside of American soil.

overthere

Nah, I was joking on those points to illustrate that there really isn't anything "building up" in the original that wouldn't sound like a stretch. Maybe we're all missing something in plain sight.

PRJ_since1990

I saw the Predator films as a two-branched tree time line. Predator is the tree, and the sequels are two seperate branches. Plenty of room to include and exclude certain stories, depending on the direction of the particular film. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed