New Noomi Rapace Prometheus Image (no details)

Started by RoaryUK, Jan 06, 2012, 12:39:54 AM

Author
New Noomi Rapace Prometheus Image (no details) (Read 35,570 times)

Xenomorphine

Well, she likes 'Aliens', which means you're almost not off-topic. :D

Mus

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 06, 2012, 06:12:05 PM
I don't get the blue and orange Tron-style outfits. I would've liked it more if the suits were grayish white like the Nostromo crew's spacesuits. Also, Noomi looks a little bit too hip to be be square with those bangs and all. I just wished, and hoped, that Scott would go by the same formula as in Alien - unglamorous realism.

Totally, too flashy. I don't give a shit if these sleek fashionable space suits and matching Chanel purses are a reality today, I like the bulky, functional look.

Highland

Quote from: Mus on Jan 07, 2012, 08:19:53 PM
I don't get the blue and orange Tron-style outfits. I would've liked it more if the suits were grayish white like the Nostromo crew's spacesuits. Also, Noomi looks a little bit too hip to be be square with those bangs and all. I just wished, and hoped, that Scott would go by the same formula as in Alien - unglamorous realism.

Totally, too flashy. I don't give a shit if these sleek fashionable space suits and matching Chanel purses are a reality today, I like the bulky, functional look.

Well its not functional if its bulky is it?

Mus

Mus

That's why I wear skintight latex to work. I certainly wouldn't want anything that's durable or which will protect me when exploring an alien spacecraft. I'll take my orange stripes, thanks. Blue and orange, not to mention. Even better.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

I agree.  Although it's hardly the sort of thing that could potentially ruin the film, it's an irritating design choice in my opinion.  Not just because it's not to my liking stylistically but because it kind of breaks continuity with Alien.

Also, as much as I admire Neville Page's monster design for Cloverfield, he seems to be a one (or two) trick pony...

"What's that, you need a monster design for Star Trek?  Sure, here's a recycle of Clover."

"Hmm, a monster design for Super 8?  I've got it!  We'll shrink Clover down."

"Oh, you want me to design some space suits and a visor for Prometheus?  No problem, I've got some left over concepts from TRON: Legacy."

LarsVader

Quote from: Mus on Jan 07, 2012, 08:44:53 PM
That's why I wear skintight latex to work.

So do I. Sooo dooo I...

Highland

Doesn't break continuity at all. These guy's are heavily funded scientists. The Nostromo crew were miners.

They don't bother me really. Its a space suit.....

SiL

Or, y'know, they're not space suits, as people have suggested before.

Space-suits are, for the moment, bulky because there's a lot of shit in them. They have to be pressurized, they have to maintain temperature, etc. If the planet they're on doesn't have too dense or thin an atmosphere and has reasonable temperatures, all they need to do is protect themselves from the elements and supply their own air.

Think above-ground SCUBA suits, not space suits.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2012, 01:41:26 AM
Or, y'know, they're not space suits, as people have suggested before.

Space-suits are, for the moment, bulky because there's a lot of shit in them. They have to be pressurized, they have to maintain temperature, etc. If the planet they're on doesn't have too dense or thin an atmosphere and has reasonable temperatures, all they need to do is protect themselves from the elements and supply their own air.

Think above-ground SCUBA suits, not space suits.

This is absolutely correct.  With NASA EVA space suits (operating in pure vacuum) the internal suit atmospheric pressure is around 5 psiA (normal sea level pressure is 14.7 psiA), and 100% pure oxygen.  Whatever the movement of the "suit", the aim is to maintain a constan volume.  If the external pressure is NOT vaccuum, but rather has some type of atmosphere (not necessarily breathable), then there will be some external pressure...and the EVA space suit does not necessarily have to be pressurized to the same relative pressure.  In onther words, it the planet has an atmosphere, and the space suit is not working against a "pure" vacuum, then the internal pressure of the suit can remain higher. 

What that means, is that the EVA suit (in such an evironment), does not necessarily have to be supplied with an "artificial" positive pressure.  This makes it much easier for the EVA suit to be designed around a "mechanical pressure" rather than using internal pressurization.  The "Sci-Fi" nomenclature for such a suit is a "skin suit", which uses some type of elastic pressure to maintain a more or less "constant" pressure against the astronuats skin.  There are prototypes that are actually in development by NASA at this very moment, but research is still ongoing, and is not by all means practical in true vacuum, at this current point in time...although, who knows what the future will bring.  Nevertheless, it is is quite apparent from existing data and research, that a "skin-suit" spacesuit using mechanical pressure would definitely be feasible, in an enviornment that has some type of atmosphere (exerting a given pressure).

This is a rather long explanation of how the current Prometheus screenshots showing a "skin-suit" type of environmental "EVA" suit is absolutley scientifically plausible, presuming the fact that that they are on a planet/planetoid/moon that has a substantial atomsphere (although not necessarily breathable). Note that this explanation only deals with the partial pressure requirements for humans to function...I am "assuming" that any advance "skin-suit" will have the necessary automatic temperature regulation and built-in radiation attenuation to keep the astronaut protected.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: deuterium on Jan 08, 2012, 04:44:49 AMabsolutley scientifically plausible, presuming the fact that that they are on a planet/planetoid/moon that has a substantial atomsphere (although not necessarily breathable).

The behind the scenes shot of the door opening and blasting gas suggests that there is a breathable atmosphere, as in that shot and the promo stills there are humans without helmets on. This new still may not reflect what happens in the film, but there are other shots that show helmet-less spacemen.

-Chris

D.R.

locusta

CanĀ“t wait to see more proper stills and therefor reference material ;)

r888

I'm really loving the suits, they look awesome
Looks like mass effect suits

Noomi Rapace Looks freaking beautiful there

evolution_rex

Not sure why everyone is complimenting her looks. She looks like she just took a large and reliving dump on the floor.

The suits are very cool, though.

AncientPred

really love the suits

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed