PC version: Mod tools and ultra graphics?

Started by And stuff, Feb 11, 2013, 08:44:34 PM

Author
PC version: Mod tools and ultra graphics? (Read 24,072 times)

VonPelz

Quote from: ikarop on Feb 19, 2013, 12:17:41 AM
I'm releasing a small batch of tweaks soon myself. It's not much but it's something! I hope it inspires others to get started too.
Great! Looking forward to it.  :)

I've been modifying the .ini files a little myself and I find it strange that the graphics cards listed in the PecanCompat.ini file are really old. The most modern graphics card in the list (Radeon HD 2900) is from 2007! Shows just how old the engine is, I guess. Pretty lazy of them to not update it though, since all modern cards not featured in the list will be regressed to the 4th class.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: VonPelz on Feb 19, 2013, 02:47:50 AM
The most modern graphics card in the list (Radeon HD 2900) is from 2007!

I can understand older hardware being supported, which is a good thing, but the most recent being from half a decade ago... That raises lots of questions.

Aceburster

One place to start with tweaking would be to try swapping shaders into the game from Borderlands 1 because they both seem to be from Epic games and from 2009-2010 era. Might work, might not, might cell shade the whole thing lol. Im installing it right now to see what happens. Dont have BL2 but im guessing itll have more compatability since... well you know.

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: VonPelz on Feb 19, 2013, 02:47:50 AM
Quote from: ikarop on Feb 19, 2013, 12:17:41 AM
I'm releasing a small batch of tweaks soon myself. It's not much but it's something! I hope it inspires others to get started too.
Great! Looking forward to it.  :)

I've been modifying the .ini files a little myself and I find it strange that the graphics cards listed in the PecanCompat.ini file are really old. The most modern graphics card in the list (Radeon HD 2900) is from 2007! Shows just how old the engine is, I guess. Pretty lazy of them to not update it though, since all modern cards not featured in the list will be regressed to the 4th class.

It doesn't really matter if it's listed or not. It only affects the default video settings which you can change via the settings menu (there are 5 levels I think). Other than increasing the shadow res and minor stuff like that there isn't you can do with the .ini files visual wise.

Xhan

Xhan

The only things you can really affect are the lightmap resolution and particle output, and how efficient the streaming is, and whether textures are displayed at max res or not.

All the other stuff is pretty much placebo effect.

That said, maximizing the LOD and particle/volumetric haze and enabling what few shader model 3 effect (especially on the aliens themselves) are actually in the game does actually make a big f**king difference, so does keeping bodies around, even though the joint constraint friction and gravitic momentum on the ragdoll physics are some of the worst I've ever seen.

Half Life 2 has better ragdolls.

That said, there's this:

It does include an altered lightmass, but the hooks are not actually employed as stated earlier, but who knows, if GBX gets off their ass, something might come of it.

Remember to add YOUR Cards's vendor ID to compat, with the right hex.

Also remember to adjust the streaming and memory budgets for what you actually have.

I have 48 Gigs of memory and 4x2 gigs of vram, and that's what it's set to, so change it to whatever you ACTUALLY have, else hilarity ensue, and don't forget to make a forced setting profile on your card's profile library or UE3 will have a tendency to start reverting shit on you.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16768161/Config.rar

Also bear in mind bodies and gibs are essentially PERMANENT until a new geometry mesh loads, and your memory footprint will grow accordingly.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972382074/screenshots/

Aceburster

Aceburster

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 19, 2013, 01:15:12 PM
Remember to add YOUR Cards's vendor ID to compat, with the right hex.

Also remember to adjust the streaming and memory budgets for what you actually have.

I just dropped the settings in without tayloring them and saw an improvement across the board and yes the Aliens and gibs not only stay but they look muuuuch nicer now. Ty man. I saw the FilmGrain var in there, man i wish...

Edit: the more I look at the game with all of the texturing set correctly the more cartoony it looks lol. everything is crisp and smooth now but theres something odd about it.

Xhan

Frankly, and I say this with everything it engenders and implies, the humans (esp bella and o'neil) and the Aliens (esp the spitter) look like they were directly taken from borderlands without the cel shading.

bobcunk

Quote from: ikarop on Feb 16, 2013, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: DRAKE M. on Feb 16, 2013, 04:19:10 PM
They just need to release the SDK and this game will get fixed! Shit, that one cat added DX10 support in like a day...
DX10 isn't really supported. Only the ini files were edited which is common to all UE3 games: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79493

is there anyway of during it without a sdk? like revers engineering game or something. I find it hard to believe that its this difficult to crack a game nowadays.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed