Predator: Hunting Grounds @ PAX West

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 29, 2019, 04:57:36 PM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds @ PAX West (Read 17,705 times)

Corporal Hicks

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/29/20837259/predator-hunting-grounds-ps4-illfonic-preview-impressions

QuoteThe map I recently played was set in an ancient forest, but I'm told to expect a variety of maps and modes in the final release. Various installations are manned by hostile AI warriors. In the demo mode I played (which is available at PAX West this week), the soldiers are tasked with various missions which generally involve infiltrating buildings and killing swarms of AI enemies. They must survive the Predator, or kill it. The Predator's only concern is hunting the human players, though it is also viewed by the AI as an enemy.

I've confirmed this with Illfonic. Hunting Grounds is going to be playable at PAX West over the weekend.

Corporal Hicks

Kailem

Kailem

Any chance of some off-screen footage making its way online, or do they have that sort of thing on lock for PAX?

EDIT: Guess it's not all locked down:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, it's an open booth. Hoping to have someone on scene at the end of the event to get us some footage.

I like that the Predator's aim seems to be thrown off when you shoot in when it's scoping in.

Also loving the looks of that title screen.

Wweyland

Damn that soldier got ripped up. Looks good, looking forward to it. Probably have to buy a PS4 though.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteSomeone asked me how the game was and I said it played like a better versiion of EVOLVE combined with most Squad based Shooters

What we played was lots of fun and we hope that the final version of the game builds on the promise of what was shown.

http://sknr.net/2019/08/31/hands-on-with-predator-hunting-grounds-at-pax-west-2019/

QuoteThe Predator's more obvious hunting tools, like the shoulder-mounted plasma cannon and invisibility, are a given in Predator: Hunting Grounds. But there's one cool trick that won't be appearing in the asymmetrical multiplayer shooter and that's the Predator's ability to record samples of its victims, and then play them back to mess with peoples' heads. And it's not for technical reasons either - it's simply illegal to record people without permission.

According to Charles Brungardt, the CEO of developer IllFonic, the idea was considered as a mechanic for the game using the in-game chat between players. "We will have [voice chat] so you're able to shit talk in a tree" while playing as the Predator, he explains, as well as communicate with teammates as the soldier team. So that obviously creates the perfect opportunity to copy the film and allow the Predator to record snippets of the other team's voice chat to play back while taunting them. Only one problem: "we couldn't do [it] because you can't record someone without their permission," says Brungardt.

https://www.gamesradar.com/predator-hunting-grounds-best-idea-will-probably-never-happen-because-its-literally-illegal/

molasar

Shaping up pretty well.

Kailem

Hell yeah, trophy kills! Loved them in AVP2010, really glad to see something similar here.

The customisation and sheer number of of Jason's kills in Friday the 13th was a really cool part of that game, so hopefully we'll get a similar sort of thing here with the amount and choices (within class/weapon type at least).

And yeah no surprise about the lack of recording people's actual voices. They could still implement the same feature though, just have it be that the human characters call things out like "need ammo!", "need healing!" "enemy spotted over there!" etc. and have the Predator copy those instead. It could work well with the ping system and could catch certain less aware players by surprise if an icon and sound popped up for a teammate in need of being healed only for there to be no human teammates in the area.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kailem on Sep 02, 2019, 06:26:27 AM
And yeah no surprise about the lack of recording people's actual voices. They could still implement the same feature though, just have it be that the human characters call things out like "need ammo!", "need healing!" "enemy spotted over there!" etc. and have the Predator copy those instead. It could work well with the ping system and could catch certain less aware players by surprise if an icon and sound popped up for a teammate in need of being healed only for there to be no human teammates in the area.

Yeah, that's not a bad suggestion at all! If they have some generic phrases that could be mimicked, I think that'd be interesting.

Kailem

"Don't relax just yet, marines!" :laugh:

SuperiorIronman

That Predator game-play is giving me serious Concrete Jungle flashbacks. I got a good feeling about this.  ;D

Kailem

PredBabe

Ooo the gameplay videos got me even more excited! I know who I'll be playing as most for this game.
And yes, there's definitely some Concrete Jungle vibes!

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, all good vibes so far. Stoked!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed