Fred Dekker on the original third act

Started by RidgeTop, Jul 13, 2019, 06:02:04 AM

Author
Fred Dekker on the original third act (Read 26,437 times)

Huggs

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 14, 2019, 12:47:59 AM
I don't think those people at Fox are able to plan that far ahead. Or even have any idea at all on what they were trying to go with this. They are like dogs chasing cars, they wouldn't know what to do if they caught one, you know, they just do things.

Close. Whoever it was, they just "doo" things, and hope it passes for entertainment.

SM

SM

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 13, 2019, 11:55:51 PM
On Alien/Predator? No. Just because its science fiction doesn't mean one can do anything. But in that case its quite easy to make the AVP movies fit in with David creating the alien. Just asspull timetraveling to explain any inconsistencies on movies or EU. Yay.

Besides Newt and Ripley died. Its wouldn't be just time travel but alternative timelines as well. At least this didn't happen.

:laugh:
It's make believe.  They can literally do anything.

Huggs

I think a doc Brown cameo could've saved it.

Huntsman

The movie shouldn't have been made.

Still Collating...

Quote from: SM on Jul 14, 2019, 01:12:13 AM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 13, 2019, 11:55:51 PM
On Alien/Predator? No. Just because its science fiction doesn't mean one can do anything. But in that case its quite easy to make the AVP movies fit in with David creating the alien. Just asspull timetraveling to explain any inconsistencies on movies or EU. Yay.

Besides Newt and Ripley died. Its wouldn't be just time travel but alternative timelines as well. At least this didn't happen.

:laugh:
It's make believe.  They can literally do anything.

It's Fox/Disney's decision, yes, they can and will do whatever they want, there are no limits in a fictional universe. That doesn't mean they should.

To quote someone's uncle... "With great power comes great responsibility"

They tried something new, a lot of the fans didn't like where they went with the lore or the writing, lets not forget that, reviews were poor and the casual audience wasn't impressed enough to give it good word of mouth. It just didn't work and didn't perform as well as they hoped. Even with Covenants somewhat disappointment in performance, there's a reason we're having so much alien content now and the predator stuff is put mostly on "silent mode".

IMO the retroactive lore changes didn't work here. From a simple spine and skull loving techno tribal hunter to a rioded up planet invader with a corny sense of humor. The writing was very bad, as far as my taste goes, it didn't fit in well. The ending scene was hilarious and the alternative endings were unbelievable in the worst possible way. And the setting was very dull.
This movie is weird for me. I've never disliked an entry in the Alien/Predator universe this much and I really tried to not be a part of the hate fest, I tried to like the movie but it didn't work. I either enjoyed or loved all the other movies from both franchises as well as the games, comics, novels, but with this entry, my optimism and looking on the bright side of things failed.

I know that not everyone agrees with this though, but I do enjoy AVPR more than The Predator. I have fun more with a movie that tries to be serous and scary but fails than a movie that tries to be funny and fails. I've watched AVPR multiple times, I at least find it has fun moments, but I really can't make myself watch The Predator again with the only nice bit being the lab escape scene.

P.S. Every time I see mentioned about the change to the night setting cause that's where the scary comes from, I literally laugh. 

SM

SM

I don't really have any issues with the  lore as such.

There was just a few things wrong with the execution, and the longer it went more things went wrong.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nameless_1 on Jul 13, 2019, 08:51:37 PM
Even if for some reason the Predator Homeworld was dying, Black and Dekker seem to have completely forgotten about the Game Preserve planet established in Predator 3, which would easily be able to support them.

Great point!

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 14, 2019, 09:55:53 AM
Even with Covenants somewhat disappointment in performance, there's a reason we're having so much alien content now and the predator stuff is put mostly on "silent mode".

With Alien, I think it's easy to identify a lot of that was genesis from and buildup to Alien's 40th Anniversary less than two months ago, a fortunate well-timed palate cleanser for all that saw and felt sour towards Alien Covenant.

With Predator, I feel this pause after The Predator will service it well. It will alow fans and filmgoers to forget this, quite honest, easily forgettable film. Then in 2020 we get the Predator: Hunting Grounds Playstation Console game by IllFonic which, if great, hopefully will recharge the material.

QuoteI know that not everyone agrees with this though, but I do enjoy AVPR more than The Predator. I have fun more with a movie that tries to be serous and scary but fails than a movie that tries to be funny and fails. I've watched AVPR multiple times, I at least find it has fun moments, but I really can't make myself watch The Predator again with the only nice bit being the lab escape scene.

I agree with all of this.  :)

skhellter

Dekker being proud of that first act.....  :-X

that first act is trash.

Still Collating...

Quote from: SM on Jul 14, 2019, 10:54:21 AM
I don't really have any issues with the  lore as such.

There was just a few things wrong with the execution, and the longer it went more things went wrong.

I honestly hope that I'll warm up to it eventually.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 14, 2019, 12:11:28 PM
Quote from: Nameless_1 on Jul 13, 2019, 08:51:37 PM
Even if for some reason the Predator Homeworld was dying, Black and Dekker seem to have completely forgotten about the Game Preserve planet established in Predator 3, which would easily be able to support them.

Great point!

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 14, 2019, 09:55:53 AM
Even with Covenants somewhat disappointment in performance, there's a reason we're having so much alien content now and the predator stuff is put mostly on "silent mode".

With Alien, I think it's easy to identify a lot of that was genesis from and buildup to Alien's 40th Anniversary less than two months ago, a fortunate well-timed palate cleanser for all that saw and felt sour towards Alien Covenant.

With Predator, I feel this pause after The Predator will service it well. It will alow fans and filmgoers to forget this, quite honest, easily forgettable film. Then in 2020 we get the Predator: Hunting Grounds Playstation Console game by IllFonic which, if great, hopefully will recharge the material.

Touche :)

Enjoy

Enjoy

Just watch Fox news and pretend they have say over how a predator movie should be made.
I am certain I woud have enjoyed the intended movie more. But not much more.

razeak

Perfect storm of bad script, bad casting, bad directing, and studio meddling.  I gave it another try, but it was worse since I already knew the humorous moments.

These two franchises have it rough. That could be a documentary on its own. You have to do something new, but it should probably be slight deviations rather than total overhauls .

HashTag_TheSwag

So they watched Independence day 2 and thought wow that's how our film should end  ::)

Huggs

Quote from: skhellter on Jul 14, 2019, 12:59:01 PM
Dekker being proud of that first act.....  :-X

that first act is trash.

Haven't you heard?

The film was written just fine. If it wasn't for the studio and the fans, it would've been the best Predator movie ever.

It certainly had nothing to do with writers and directors and that sort of thing.

PsyKore

To me, it feels like Robocop 3 all over again. That movie was such a massive deviation and so badly written - The Predator is very similar.

Enjoy

Enjoy

Ultimatly it is Fox studios fault becaue they green light it and can influence the plot.
I just hope the people at disney get Legend Studios working on whatever comes next and do not over officiate to the point they ruin the creative direction of the franchise.
Predator still has all the potential in the right hands.
Just too bad about all the wasted time and let downs when the films are being produced.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed