Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Author
Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending (Read 43,533 times)

Cihan85

I have to comment on this, as this guy is one of the main reasons this movie, in my opinion, was a failure. Ofcourse I also blame the people who read the script and thought this was all a good idea and greenlit it. But here is the thing, we as fans of this franchise, have the right to be angry if the movie doesn't take itself or the franchise seriously. Just like others have said, a Predator film comes once in a blue moon, so we expect something worthwhile.

proto leech

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 05, 2019, 07:38:13 PM
No, he doesn't deserve hate. None of them do. There's no reason to take things personally like this. There's no need to act like children in response to releases you don't like. That's the kind of behaviour that gives off the impression that fandoms are awful. There is nothing wrong with disliking things, it's just about how you express that opinion.

"this movie sucks and the ideas were bad" is not death threats or real harassment. i dont hate the man but he implemented terrible ideas to a long beloved character of mine and many others and ill roast him on it.

Huggs

Huggs

Imagine the uproar if the only star wars film to be made since 2 or 3 was TLJ. There's never reason to be hateful, but the audience and fans expect the people who write these movies to take their job seriously. I can't for the life of me find one thing about The Predator that can convince me they were doing that. This movie felt like a farce, and now we have to wait Lord knows how long for another chance.

The Old One

The Old One

The baseline narrative's incorrect.

The fault's with those who wrote it,
and those who greenlighted it.

matthewjn

Quote from: King geedorah on Jan 05, 2019, 08:56:48 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 05, 2019, 07:38:13 PM
No, he doesn't deserve hate. None of them do. There's no reason to take things personally like this. There's no need to act like children in response to releases you don't like. That's the kind of behaviour that gives off the impression that fandoms are awful. There is nothing wrong with disliking things, it's just about how you express that opinion.

"this movie sucks and the ideas were bad" is not death threats or real harassment. i dont hate the man but he implemented terrible ideas to a long beloved character of mine and many others and ill roast him on it.

It's pretty clear which people Fred Dekker is talking about, so if you said stuff like "The ideas are bad", then don't worry about it.  ;D

Cihan85

I completely agree with King Geedorah here. C'mon bro, Black and Dekker took their time with the script, it's not like the movie was rushed or anything. Actually it got delayed multiple times. And this is what they come up with? Some people blame the reshoots but I personally think it would have been even worse without the reshoots. I hated the idea of the half human emmissionary predators or whatever they were called and also hated all the concepts of the spider predators, monkey predators and everything else. The whole idea of this movie was just wrong to me. Don't mess with the lore. Also, the dogs were great as they were in Predators, why not just stick with that and follow up on Predators with Adrien Brody. Apart from Tomas Jane and Olivia Munn, the cast were all nobodies to me. Should have given Tom Jane the lead instead. Sorry but this Boyd Hollbrook guy had zero presence and charisma. Just felt very miscast to me. I could go on and on. Guys, please explain to me, why is it that hard to make a good Predator film? It's a simple concept.

SiL

I always find the "you don't know how hard it is to get a movie made!" defense incredibly bizarre. It's so irrelevant.

matthewjn

Quote from: SiL on Jan 05, 2019, 09:35:49 PM
I always find the "you don't know how hard it is to get a movie made!" defense incredibly bizarre. It's so irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant when they get slammed for not taking their time or putting any effort into their work. Also, we don't know how their meetings with the studio went.

razeak

Agree 100% with Sil. It's a lazy defense. It's like they just slapped a bunch of wannabe Rambro shit together. I liked the Loonies the first time. I gave it a second go, and they didn't hold up for me. The lead was even worse and "Did you guys just see that? He just grew an exoskeleton under his skin" line was stupid and terribly delivered. I didn't notice it the first time. Predator also missed a plasma caster shot at point blank range lol.

Rudiger

Dekker sounding very disingenuous there. Fans didn't shit all over the movie because it tried to do something different with the lore. They shat all over it because it was so terribly bad on just about every level.

whiterabbit

The movies formula was all wrong. I don't hate the man and I don't want to sound mean or hurt his feelings but The Predator was Independence Day: Resurgence. If The Predator was released in 1995 it would have been a smash hit but not in today's world. The director and chief editor need to take blame as well, there was way too much cheese, a lot of it wasn't well directed (not in a Predator way) and the editor needed to do a better job with what he got.

I sense a lot of frustration. Obviously it takes a lot of time and work to bring an idea to the big screen and then right before you begin, the studio comes in, other interest come in, belt tightening and realities sink in and suddenly it's all a bad idea but you start shooting at 6 am pronto.

The movie does not suck but it is the weakest in the series and that includes AVP. Which, oh boy really has got to hurt. I don't think the changes are that big an issue. One clan doing something different should be assumed. The space fold, dosen't belong in Predator but this is a The Predator movie so...

Voodoo Magic

Quinn asks the Assassin Predator "What are you?".  Then, as the Assassin Predator starts to answer Quinn, he shoots him in the face and says "Shut the f*ck up!".

Sure it makes no sense to ask something a question, only to kill it before you get an answer... but the audience will surely say "Ah ha! He got him there! See the giant Predator was about to speak and Quinn killed it before it could talk? That's so cool! Dutch asked his Predator 'what the hell are you' because he truly pondered the answer. But Quinn already knew the answer. He just did asked it because he's so badass! Even with his mates dead, he's badass!  So badass!"  Wait, the audience didn't like it??  But we were just trying something different. They obviously don't want anything different.

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 05, 2019, 10:05:05 PM
Quinn asks the Assassin Predator "What are you?".  Then, as the Assassin Predator starts to answer Quinn, he shoots him in the face and says "Shut the f*ck up!".

Sure it makes no sense to ask something a question, only to kill it before you get an answer... but the audience will surely say "Ah ha! He got him there! See the giant Predator was about to speak and Quinn killed it before it could talk? That's so cool! Dutch asked his Predator 'what the hell are you' because he truly pondered the answer. But Quinn already knew the answer. He just did asked it because he's so badass! Even with his mates dead, he's badass!  So badass!"  Wait, the audience didn't like it??  But we were just trying something different. They obviously don't want anything different.

The snarling after he shot it, didn't help the moment either. Yeah, super cool. What do they think? The audience is 5 or something?

SiL

Quote from: matthewjn on Jan 05, 2019, 09:41:46 PM
It's not irrelevant when they get slammed for not taking their time or putting any effort into their work. Also, we don't know how their meetings with the studio went.
When people attack individual filmmakers for things that had nothing to do with them due to the process of making a film -- fair point.

But his argument seemed to be people criticising the film in general not knowing how hard it is to get something to screen. How difficult it is to make isn't the least bit of a defense. Every film is hard to make -- we still get good movies. Whether there was studio interference or not, whether the sets burned down or people had to get edited out at the last second, doesn't excuse the fact the end result is lacklustre.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 05, 2019, 10:22:46 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 05, 2019, 10:05:05 PM

The snarling after he shot it, didn't help the moment either. Yeah, super cool. What do they think? The audience is 5 or something?

Yeah, it's just so perplexing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed