Katherine Waterston Channels Her Inner Ripley in New Alien: Covenant Still

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 20, 2016, 08:13:30 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston Channels Her Inner Ripley in New Alien: Covenant Still (Read 29,064 times)

Fhritp

Anyone else seeing a Steyr Aug with an MGO optic slapped on top dressed as future tech?

Looks ok though I guess

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SiL on Dec 21, 2016, 01:22:22 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Dec 20, 2016, 10:40:35 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 20, 2016, 08:53:15 PM
Quote from: Ridley Scott on Dec 20, 2016, 08:13:30 PM
Covenant is really going to show you who did it and why.

Who did what? Create Aliens?

Not looking forward to that, if so. :-[ I always preferred them as having evolved naturally.

Except that having been engineered gives them purpose; and for story telling a purpose is essential.  The genetically engineered dinosaurs in 'Jurassic Park' had purpose even if they were just considered to be theme park attractions.  It's when that purpose goes awry the story becomes worth telling. 

I'm sure that's where Scott is taking this whole trilogy. 

-Windebieste.
What purpose did the shark in Jaws have that went awry?

You can only do so many permutations of monster-running-down-a-tin-can. Something somewhere has to have purpose or substance to keep it interesting.

Bogbot

Bogbot

My thoughts exactly, at least attempt something like the M41 from aliens, (which was made from parts of a Famas and pump action shotgun) at least it looked legit.

Anonymous

Anonymous

My thoughts as well m8 I really hope the space jockeys are not the engineers

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bworko on Dec 21, 2016, 01:13:55 AM
In 2 interviews (Ian White and a designer that Hicks had interviewed), it was questioned that the engineers were serving a superior entity and had stolen the black goo from elder entity.

That's the direction I'd like to see them go. I like this fan theory of the Engineers imitating the Space Jockeys and this accelerant is something they stole from the Jockeys that is a template for the Aliens that just keeps getting corrupted and created corrupted Alien-like creatures.

Canon_Barbarian

Yeah Steyr with ACOG. Total bullshit.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: NickisSmart on Dec 20, 2016, 09:56:21 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 20, 2016, 09:53:54 PM
The guns look far to modern imo

This is in the future, so technically the gun looks too old, unless you're saying it lacks the "retro-future" aesthetic in which case, it might look too modern. These things really stop making sense, after awhile.

Perhaps saying it doesn't fit in with Alien "used future" is more readily understood than saying too modern. The word "modern" has no place in an ahistorical, fantastical film like Covenant.

No I was pointing out they're using a modern day weapon and not even trying to hide the fact. She's holding a Styer and the other production image of the security forces had them armed with rifles from the M16/AR family.

They're using modern weaponry in a movie set in the future, it's easy to see with all the rails attached to them.
Shouldn't we be seeing something closer related to the pulse rifle? Something that we can see was a predecessor to what we saw in Aliens?

Infected

Quote from: Canon_Barbarian on Dec 21, 2016, 11:18:28 AM
Yeah Steyr with ACOG. Total bullshit.
Ever heard of an M1911? And how long that is in service? And how reliable it is.
What if the Covenant took off at around 2050 thats like 30 years from now,
you dont think if a spaceship took off from 2050 would have our modern guns?
Although it would be cool to see some modified guns like what they did with the pulse rifle,

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Canon_Barbarian on Dec 21, 2016, 11:18:28 AMYeah Steyr with ACOG. Total bullshit.

They've at least futured it up a bit. The guns in Prommy were just regular target pistols and shotguns with bits painted orange and the muzzle flare turned blue.

Anyway, cool photo.

lv_226

Quote from: SiL on Dec 21, 2016, 01:22:22 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Dec 20, 2016, 10:40:35 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 20, 2016, 08:53:15 PM
Quote from: Ridley Scott on Dec 20, 2016, 08:13:30 PM
Covenant is really going to show you who did it and why.

Who did what? Create Aliens?

Not looking forward to that, if so. :-[ I always preferred them as having evolved naturally.

Except that having been engineered gives them purpose; and for story telling a purpose is essential.  The genetically engineered dinosaurs in 'Jurassic Park' had purpose even if they were just considered to be theme park attractions.  It's when that purpose goes awry the story becomes worth telling. 

I'm sure that's where Scott is taking this whole trilogy. 

-Windebieste.
What purpose did the shark in Jaws have that went awry?
Humans came to its house and then he (the shark) got angry.

Canon_Barbarian

Quote from: Infected on Dec 21, 2016, 01:23:35 PM
Ever heard of an M1911? And how long that is in service? And how reliable it is.
What if the Covenant took off at around 2050 thats like 30 years from now,
you dont think if a spaceship took off from 2050 would have our modern guns?
Although it would be cool to see some modified guns like what they did with the pulse rifle,

Even if it is 2050, they should update guns and optics at least a bit. Cryo tubes, spaceships + modern not-futuristic weaponry looks dump.
But movie probably take place after Prometheus, somewhere around 2100, so AUG is bullshit.

Hope it will be adequate explanation for AUG and ACOG, but I suspect Ridley just doesn't give a shit.

HuDaFuK

Why does it need an "adequate explanation"? They dressed up something they could get there hands on. I don't see what the big deal is.

Cameron gave the Marines in Aliens VP70s, a gun that's been out of production for 27 years already, without bothering to even put any dressing on it. Likewise Hicks had an ancient (by the time) pump-action and Vasquez had a Smith & Wesson that was over 200 years old.

Suspend disbelief for a minute.

426Buddy

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 21, 2016, 02:52:22 PM
Why does it need an "adequate explanation"? They dressed up something they could get there hands on. I don't see what the big deal is.

Cameron gave the Marines in Aliens VP70s, a gun that's been out of production for 27 years already, without bothering to even put any dressing on it. Likewise Hicks had an ancient (by the time) pump-action and Vasquez had a Smith & Wesson that was over 200 years old.

Suspend disbelief for a minute.

You're making too much sense here lol

FUBAR1945

I was skeptical when i saw the soldier dudes with M4, but now....... AUG + ACOG? really?

So we can have super high tech crytubes but can't have the Pulse Rifle or anything else more futuristic?
And it seens like someone forgot about the Storm Rifle at Weyland Security time-line.

Ridley is getting nuts on Alien universe since Prometheus, now its for sure. Someone retire this guy.

JokersWarPig

Well the VP70 isn't a pistol that's widely recognized, I'd imagine that's one reason he chose it. It looked (for the time) different enough to be a futuristic service pistol. I'm assuming it's USCM issued since Goreman is the only person we see with one.

Hick's shotgun was a personal weapon, that's something (based on dialogue) we can figure was personally owned by him. It wasn't a USCM issued weapon. I'd imagine the USCM issued shotgun would look more in line with the pulse rifle.
Vaz's pistol you can argue is also a personally owned weapon given the fact it's different from Goremans and can be easily identified.
Since these weapons are their personally owned weapons that means they were purchased via civilian means.

In keeping with the Vietnam logic though, it wasn't uncommon for soldiers to get weapons through unofficial channels or by family members sending them through the mail. I've read this was most often knives and smaller things, but in rare instances I've read WW2 weaponry could be acquired. Large weapons being sent to troops though was a common among snipers more so since the US Military didn't have an official sniper rifle during the beginning of the war. Personally owned or purchased hunting rifles were very common in the beginning of the war.

I know it's Ridley's movie, and I know he doesn't really have to follow anything after Alien, but keeping things a little bit in what was already established would be nice, or at least disguising the weapons a bit so they don't look like something you'd see a US or Australian military member with. It comes off as lazy to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed