'Not One Frame' Of Prometheus Will Be Cut Says Tom Rothman

Started by ikarop, Apr 26, 2012, 09:47:17 PM

Author
'Not One Frame' Of Prometheus Will Be Cut Says Tom Rothman (Read 34,994 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

Or the rating could premiere tonight. Just about one month out.....There must be a rating by now?

Cvalda

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 29, 2012, 07:03:06 PM
Or the rating could premiere tonight. Just about one month out.....There must be a rating by now?
Ratings are released by the MPAA mid-week, I believe. Tuesday or Wednesday, usually.

ikarop

More comments from Tom Rothman: http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-tom-rothman/162253/#more-162253

Quote"[For] Prometheus, it would have been very easy—in fact probably in Chapter One of the Executive Handbook, if I ever read such a thing, it would say, 'Go ahead, make a straightforward prequel to Alien.'  That would have been the easy thing to do.  Prometheus is the more challenging thing to do.  It's bolder, it's original, it's in the universe, but it's not a literal story-based prequel to [Alien], it's a wholly new science-fiction entry from Ridley Scott, who hasn't made a science-fiction film in 30 years."

"I can assure the fans—I'm very aware of their concern—absolutely they can take it that the film will not be compromised either way.  So if that means that the film is R, then it'll be an R.  If it's PG-13, then it'll be a PG-13, but it will not be compromised.

ThisBethesdaSea

3 weeks and a bit out from release and no rating yet???????

Qwertify

I don't think he is doing a favor to the fans. I just think that the movie will be more profitable this way.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Qwertify on May 04, 2012, 02:13:39 PM

I don't think he is doing a favor to the fans. I just think that the movie will be more profitable this way.

How do you mean?

mastermoon

Whats taking them so long to confirm an R-Rating?.

Alien1

how isnt it a story based link to Alien? Derelict? space jockey? Weyland? i mean come on... that "same universe" stuff is BS... its gotta be a real prequel to Alien..

fiveways

Quote from: Alien1 on May 04, 2012, 07:40:54 PM
how isnt it a story based link to Alien? Derelict? space jockey? Weyland? i mean come on... that "same universe" stuff is BS... its gotta be a real prequel to Alien..

It's like star trek in my mind.  the original series leads into Next Generation, and they have some crossover but it is not the same thing.  Not a direct pequel.

A direct prequel would suck.  After 30 years of people building up anticipation there is no way it could meet the fan base expectations.  "Chinese Democracy" anyone?

Wonderbrick

I listen to Rothman's comments, and feel it is obvious the film will be PG-13, and he is trying to run damage-control until the last possible second.  If the film will be R, there is no reason not to announce that now.  If the film were R, the "hard R" would be a BIG selling point.  If they are aiming to make an R film, I find it hard to believe that Ridley's film would be so close PG-13 that Rothman would feel the need to leave it in the hands of the MPAA to decide.

The only thing that has made me even slightly think it might be an R film is the de-scrambled audio puzzle.  But when you think about the way the visuals could be shot/edited, it would be easy to keep that scene PG-13, even if the audio alone sounds disturbing.

RustiSwordz

RustiSwordz

I think it will be a 15. Alien was reclassified a 15 (well here in the UK!) And I do feel this has the same tone as Alien (obviously) A 15 i do feel.

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: mastermoon on May 04, 2012, 03:29:40 PM
Whats taking them so long to confirm an R-Rating?.

Because they don't want it to be an R-rating....

Anyone who believes in a man who described AVP2 as "a great movie", needs therapy.

There'll be 2 edits hopefully. It's the school holidays in a month (less in Scotland). Fox want a piece of that pie the Avengers is currently gobbling up.

Eva

Quote from: Alien1 on May 04, 2012, 07:40:54 PM

Who cares... it's just semantics... :)

No question it will be rated 15/16 in Europe.

Wonderbrick

In preparation for the possible oncoming outrage, does Tom Rothman have an official Twitter account or email address?

metalos

I'm living in Hungary. The film rating in Hungary is: 12, 16, 18 (year above)
The four Alien films was rated 18 what is equal R, all the Prometheus trailer was rated 16, what is equal to PG-13.
I know, the trailer is not show too brutal violence (just the melting head, and other small things), and don't contain harsh language, but these things may in the eventual movie.

I think, Ridley Scott's name is enough, that we get an awsome movie, he is a very precise director, he is making his movies quite attention, so i think, the Prometheus will be R or will be PG-13, but it will be a huge success.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed