Alien Anthology Discussion

Started by AVP66, Feb 19, 2009, 04:11:42 PM

Author
Alien Anthology Discussion (Read 359,171 times)

Corporal Hicks

Just stickied this. And from what Fox told me, this is definitely happening but not much has happened regarding it so it may be the early stages.

DoomRulz

Something tells me these won't see the light of day until Q4 '09. Who knows, maybe that just means Fox wants to ensure they're good.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 20, 2009, 02:26:40 PM
Something tells me these won't see the light of day until Q4 '09. Who knows, maybe that just means Fox wants to ensure they're good.
Or they want you to buy it as a Christmas present where DVD and Blu-Ray booms anyway.

Corporal Hicks

Makes sense. It's what they did with the Quadrilogy DVD.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Mar 20, 2009, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 20, 2009, 02:26:40 PM
Or they want you to buy it as a Christmas present where DVD and Blu-Ray booms anyway.

Tru enough. Why limit your sales base...

philsaw101134

Alien movies on Blu-Ray?
In my opinion, the alien films are supposed to be dark and gritty...I wonder how they would pull that off on Blu Ray.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: philsaw101134 on Apr 11, 2009, 11:54:45 PM
Alien movies on Blu-Ray?
In my opinion, the alien films are supposed to be dark and gritty...I wonder how they would pull that off on Blu Ray.
What makes you think they aren't on blu-ray?
The movie's brightness isn't going to change, it will be the same movie, just with a miles better picture quality.

The first movie did look really great since it was remastered for the directors cut, so i personally think it will look fantastic on blu-ray.

SiL

Aliens is likely going to look ass, with the grain being part of the raw footage - Hi def grain, woo! Also, what's the bet wires are going to be popping up all over?

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 12, 2009, 12:36:11 AM
Aliens is likely going to look ass, with the grain being part of the raw footage - Hi def grain, woo! Also, what's the bet wires are going to be popping up all over?
Yes aliens is a very grainy movie, but so is predator, and while it cant hold a candle to new productions on blu-ray it still looks miles better then the DVD version. Ever took a look?
And i dont just talk about about some screencaps here, watch the thing in movement on a giant tv or beamer, it looks ace.

It really does look far better, i never thought it myself, i was just like you "How can this movie work on blu ray, its going to look like shit". But no, really, it looks great on blu-ray.

I don't see why aliens should make a difference, again, it wont look as stunning as new productions, but still great i guess and worth the upgrade.

If you don't believe in blu-ray or don't think its worth the upgrade then skip it and watch the DVD, no one forces you.
But i personally enjoy the new quality for what it is, and there shouldn't be a problem with effects as well, Predator's effects look just as great as if you were watching them in standart definition.

DoomRulz

Alien 3 should look good since it's newer than Aliens. Naturally A:R would look the best since it's from 1997.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 12, 2009, 12:36:11 AM

Wires?

Johnny Handsome

QuoteAlien 3 should look good since it's newer than Aliens. Naturally A:R would look the best since it's from 1997.
I wouldn't bet on that, there are movies from the 80s that look better then productions from early 2000 or mid 90s.

Its all about the master, not the age of the movie.
Of course you could say: newer movie= better master, but that isn't always the case and one just shouldn't bet on that.
I do personally believe that Aliens will not look as good as the others in the series, but that doesn't have to mean that it wont look pretty good.
QuoteWires?
He means the stunt wires that are being visible on the aliens, which i think you wont notice on blu-ray as well, or at least not more so then on the standard def version.

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 12, 2009, 01:14:48 AM
It really does look far better, i never thought it myself, i was just like you "How can this movie work on blu ray, its going to look like shit". But no, really, it looks great on blu-ray.
Just like me? Man, I'm all for HD images, even with supah HD grain it looks better. I'm just saying, compared to other Blu-Ray releases - At the very least, of the Alien movies - Aliens is going to look the worst. Cos it already looks the worst, in terms of film quality.

Which is something we both agree on. No harm done.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 12, 2009, 01:18:33 AM
Alien 3 should look good since it's newer than Aliens. Naturally A:R would look the best since it's from 1997.
Honestly I find Alien, even in SD, looks better than AR.

Soon as I get a BR player I'm going to get The Thing, then Alien when it comes out.

Thank God for backwards compatibility so I don't have to repurchase my entire collection.

DoomRulz

I actually am re-purchasing my collection. It's small as it is; only one DVD tower, and I always find deals on Blu-Ray discs. Besides, the HD picture for me is worth the purchase.

SiL

My collection's small by collectors' standards (only about 250), but way, way too big from a spending-money-on-replacing-it standard.

DoomRulz

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed