Game is selling more than Dead Space 2?

Started by Naissus, Feb 18, 2013, 01:06:52 AM

Author
Game is selling more than Dead Space 2? (Read 27,669 times)

OpenMaw

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Mar 01, 2013, 06:27:00 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 01, 2013, 06:24:10 AM
Quote from: shadowedge on Mar 01, 2013, 03:23:00 AM
This game had a budget of $51,000,000?!? Is that normal for this kind of game? That is more than a large amount of movies...

That's what happens when you have a distended development cycle with 1500 companies fingering the pooch.

Sort of. I read AAA titles have between 75 and 100 million. This game should have been a lot better if it really got the rumored 65 million.

The game started out with a much smaller budget, because they made some mistakes, took too long, and ultimately played hot potato with it, it ended up going way over their initial projected budget. Which was closer to 20 to 40 million.

Aceburster

I cant find anything I can cite but it looks like CoD4 cost about 20 mil to make and MW2 cost 40-60 (not including all the ads and distribution) Just development costs.

What I did find is a list of the top 10 most expensive to develop games (from 2010) and reputable place and look at how A:CM stacks up. Absurd no matter how they got there...

http://digitalbattle.com/2010/02/20/top-10-most-expensive-video-game-budgets-ever/

PRI. HUDSON

200 million to promote Halo 3? How did they turn a profit on that one? Micro$oft.

Aceburster

"Halo 3 grossed US$300 million in its first week." says Wikipedia lol. 11.5 million copies in its lifetime. I can imagine from all the merch and 360s that got sold because of it that it did more than ok. : |

Makes me wonder if the advertising and all that is included in this 60mil number for A:CM if not then man... someones ass is really on fire.

Elicas

11.5 million sales for Halo3 is a gross of $690,000,000 revenue split between publisher/developer/retailers. 200mil advertising looks like a pretty good investment.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Aceburster on Mar 01, 2013, 07:22:31 AM
"Halo 3 grossed US$300 million in its first week." says Wikipedia lol. 11.5 million copies in its lifetime. I can imagine from all the merch and 360s that got sold because of it that it did more than ok. : |

Makes me wonder if the advertising and all that is included in this 60mil number for A:CM if not then man... someones ass is really on fire.

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. That's baller.

I am just surprised they had spent that much considering Halo CE and Halo 2 had come before it. You would think the game would sell itself. But, good for them. I fell in love with Halo the minute I played Halo 2 MP and Halo 3 as a whole. Only one I have not beaten yet is Halo 2, which I just borrowed off my cousin.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

For those of you, who love statistics, I have found these that may interest you:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Most_expensive_games

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_costs

Also, just to illustrate how much the ad campaigns and marketing increase the cost of a game:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2s-launch-budget--200-million/

Hope it sheds some more light and hope you enjoy...

Cheers!

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

It's official. ACM is dead.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/24855/aliens-colonial-marines/Global/

85% drop worldwide for the game on the 360. LOL. I hope Gearbox feel this to the bone.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=aliens%3A+colonial+marines

Game sales are at 730,000. With that nasty second week drop it is safe to say this dog does not cross a million. Good riddance.

Corporal Hicks

On the one hand - I'm happy to see the guys suffer for this but I'm really disappointed because it wont be fixed and it wont be supported.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 02, 2013, 12:00:26 PM
On the one hand - I'm happy to see the guys suffer for this but I'm really disappointed because it wont be fixed and it wont be supported.

I know how you feel. It's a double-edged sword. The game does poorly = GBX suffers for their deception and maybe SEGA sells their rights or get a developer in the future who is more reliable. The game does well = GBX is off the hook, sort of, and SEGA doesn't learn their lesson and keeps putting out crappy games because they know us fans will buy anything.

All I am hoping for is one giant patch that puts the game together more and solid DLC. At least by that point I will have played the game enough to get my moneys worth. If Bug Hunt mode is actually well done then that will keep me playing for a while.

I am interested to see if SEGA sells the rights to reclaim some cash that we know they bled on ACM. I'd kill for someone with a good publishing background to pick it up and save us.

ScardyFox

That is probably the best outcome that can of this... SEGA to sell the rights to someone who gives a fook.

JungleHunter87

QuoteSEGA to sell the rights to someone who gives a fook.

As awesome as that would be. If Creative Assembly's new A L I E N based game does gang busters. Then I think it's safe to say the the Alien license would stay with them for sequels and the like.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Mar 02, 2013, 02:57:06 PM
QuoteSEGA to sell the rights to someone who gives a fook.

As awesome as that would be. If Creative Assembly's new A L I E N based game does gang busters. Then I think it's safe to say the the Alien license would stay with them for sequels and the like.

As much as SEGA pisses me off, if the next game is GOOD, and I mean like 8 outta 10 good, then I won't care if SEGA keeps the rights. I think a highly rated Alien game would make a lot more money than AVP or ACM would. Maybe it would be a turnaround and force SEGA to hire better developers.

Time will tell.

JungleHunter87

QuoteTime will tell.

Hear, hear!

ScardyFox

Well, I'll still be holding onto my pipe-dream that Insomniac Games will somehow get their hands on it...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed