Blu Ray release

Started by Billiken, Aug 05, 2022, 01:25:36 PM

Author
Blu Ray release (Read 48,757 times)

David

David

Dont know about the Disney statement at all. But I hope we will get the physical release.

Jacku

Jacku

This is a Hulu film that was released on Disney Plus in certain countries that have Star built into Disney Plus. So its Hulu's decision?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I don't know who handles these decisions, exactly. Either 20th Century Studios or all the way up the line at Disney, I'd imagine. For what it's worth, I don't think a single other 20th Century Studios movie that released direct to Hulu has ever gotten a home release before.

To be honest, the only way I can potentially imagine this movie breaking that pattern is in a complete series box set at some point down the line, but even that sounds unlikely to me right now unfortunately which really sucks.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Dunno about a "Hulu original" movie like Prey since it didn't get a theatrical release, but all of Disney's other mainline movies that got theatrical releases have all gotten physical releases.

SisterJill

SisterJill

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 07, 2022, 01:29:10 PMI don't know who handles these decisions, exactly. Either 20th Century Studios or all the way up the line at Disney, I'd imagine. For what it's worth, I don't think a single other 20th Century Studios movie that released direct to Hulu has ever gotten a home release before.

To be honest, the only way I can potentially imagine this movie breaking that pattern is in a complete series box set at some point down the line, but even that sounds unlikely to me right now unfortunately which really sucks.

No other direct-to-Hulu 20th Century movie was nearly as high-profile as a Predator one either, let alone as popular and praised.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

So Hulu has released some of its original content on Blu-Ray such as "The Handmaid's Tale" seasons so at least there's precedent. But this is the first major movie that's been released on the platform so only time will tell.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

I really do hope we get a Blu-ray or DVD release sometime in the future. Having a physical copy of the film not only provides interesting "behind-the-scenes" videos or director commentary, it is also an insurance against the possibility that, god forbid, if Hulu (or Disney+ internationally) one day shuts down, for whatever reason.

I mean, what if some future Disney management decides that Hulu or Disney+ isn't generating enough revenue (or suffered too much losses) and shut those streaming plaforms down? That may sound absurd or very unlikely now, but you can never be sure about the future. Look at "Batgirl" as an example. No one could predict that the new Warner Bros management will cancel that movie outright when the shooting was already done. But it happened.

So without any physical copy available to consumers, movies like "Prey" could simply disappear into some black hole, never to appear again. Sure, I suppose Disney themselves can release a physical copy at that point or some other studio and their streaming platform can buy "Prey" off Disney. But, that's a big "if". I feel a lot safer with a physical copy I can keep at home now.

David

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: David on Sep 06, 2022, 09:16:52 AMNot sure about that
https://www.dvdsreleases.com/movie/prey-dvd-release-date/
I'm sure I've said this before, but that's not a reliable source. For starters it mentions Amazon Prime and iTunes, but it's a Disney+/Hulu exclusive. Secondly it mentions a theatrical release, but it's streaming exclusive.

I would put no cachet in anything mentioned on that site. Sorry.

Highland

Highland

The problem is it's streamed with the highest possible resolution and HDR coding ( Dolby vision etc), which surprised me to be honest.

Usually the Blue Ray is a way to get something better, but in this case there is nothing better ( although a disc will still be of higher quality IMO).

Saying that......If you've been around as long as some of us have, there will 100% be a box set release, it's pretty much a given. We just have to wait a year or two maybe.  It's easy money, since all of us will buy the box set just to own Prey and the other discs already exist.

exorcissy72

exorcissy72

I'm less concerned with the quality of the Blu Ray than I am with if Disney decides to sell Hulu off, shutter 20th Century Studios completely, or in some other way muck with their library -- that Prey will eventually vanish and there will be no way to actually watch it.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: exorcissy72 on Sep 09, 2022, 05:43:01 PMI'm less concerned with the quality of the Blu Ray than I am with if Disney decides to sell Hulu off, shutter 20th Century Studios completely, or in some other way muck with their library -- that Prey will eventually vanish and there will be no way to actually watch it.

Unlikely to ever happen, but worst case you sail the stormy sea's. People are ripping Blue Ray's still at high quality.

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

I'm big on physical media especially with movies I like. It would be a real shame if we didn't get a bluray release.

I'm really hoping they do some kinda Predator bluray set with all 5 films. Maybe that can be a way to get it?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Real missed opportunity if AVP Galaxy did not ask in their interview.

Dr. Von Predator

Dr. Von Predator

The only point of asking would be to see if Dan even has any information, but it's not up to him if this film gets a physical media release. I'm sure he would want one just as much as any of us, but a lot of streaming service and studios just aren't into that medium anymore. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but perhaps sales in physical media have been on a steep decline that they can't justify spending money to make blu-rays. Also, let's not forget that we don't have all the details of that agreement that prevented HBO Max from having streaming rights to PREY. Not only were Disney not allowed to show it in theaters, but perhaps they're not allowed to put it on physical media either. Maybe that part even comes from Hulu, a "We'll stream it for you, but we have exclusive rights to it for x-amount of time before you do anything with it." Who knows. Look at Netflix. They have one of the most popular shows right now in STRANGER THINGS, and they stopped making discs for it after the second season, and its popularity is bigger than ever. It all comes down to numbers, I think. "Our show is HUGE and people are signing up like crazy to watch it!" Why release it on physical media when a streamer's goal is to acquire and keep subs?

Anyway, I desperately want a blu-ray/4K release of PREY. I just don't know if we'll see on in the next couple of years or at all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed