KNB FX team and Predators

Started by Doomofman, Jan 14, 2010, 06:44:57 PM

Author
KNB FX team and Predators (Read 5,034 times)

Doomofman

Doomofman

http://www.knbefxgroup.com/

So we know at this stage that FX company KNB are doing the practical FX for Predators. From what I've seen of their previous/current work, including recently released pictures from the set of horror flick Piranha, I feel like they could do a very good job on the suits and other practical fx props and such they'll be doing (I assume they'll be doing stuff like dead bodies and wound makeup and such as well).

Are others happy with KNB doing the FX or would people prefer if they had have used Stan Winston Studios as previous movies did?

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Cant say that I'm happy about them doing the FX, i need to see a pic first before i can judge them.

ADI isn't a bad FX company and their work was kick ass on some movies in the past, they still managed to f**k the Predators up badly in AvP.

I just hope that KNB really hold their word when they say "We went back and looked at the original".

Doomofman

Doomofman

The Predators in AVP wouldn't have been too bad if they we're pink.... But I'm certainly glad that team isn't working on Predators. Although I think there might be a couple of FX crew members working on Predators that worked on AVP. Can't imagine they'd be part of KNB though....

Part of me wishes Winston Studios were doing the FX. But from the other work of KNB's I've seen I do think they're a decent alternative... Shame there's not a whole lot of suit work done any more in movies... I sure as shit am glad we're not getting CGI predators though...

On that note, anyone know who is doing the computer fx for Predators?

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteOn that note, anyone know who is doing the computer fx for Predators?
Probably the guys from Troublemaker Studios, they have an 'in house' visual effects crew, and if you look up the credits over at IMDB (forgive me Father for i have sinned) you see a few people doing the CG FX that work at Troublemaker.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

I would have preferred Winston's people for obvious reasons, but KNB hold about just as much promise.

They have been working with Rodriguez forever, he can't kick them off this project. Plus I'm all for trying a new group of guys(that managed to make a great looking Alien, which was just for fun) taking the reigns from ADI, who don't deserve any more chances.

Good riddance I say. You're supposed to get your shit right the first time(AvP). This isn't target practice, you can't turn in shoddy work on a feature film and promise to do better next time. That is a bad mentality to have, and it makes you look even worse when your second go at a predator face still manages to be horrid.

jeff161

jeff161

at this point not at all !!!legacy [stan winstons]  should have been the ones all the way or steve wang at least.
knb took a shot at a pumkinhead film and ahgggggggggg.. and it looks like there doing the same to the predators
they look to fan suitish at this point helmets oversized , stuffed looking brest area, and paint jobs very uninteresting quite boaring really... but hey in the end well see how it all works could be amazing.

when knb fx designs on its owne fresh they have done some amazing work.... but when ever thev come into somthing that is from another fx house originly or an on going series... they fansuit it and it looks geeky
but who knows maybe thelly shock us

Bishop2

Bishop2

Now that the movie is out, KNB did... an okay job, I think. Could've been better, could've been worse. Kinda like the whole movie.

Sure, Falconer looked a bit on the short side. Like, shorter than any of the background Predators from AVP.

And when the masks/armor were off, like on Classic or Beserker at th eend, there was no real moisture/slime to them, which gave them a serious resemblance to the Preds from AVP. (Which, unlike many people, I never hated - I just figured hey, there are Preds with different facial features just like there are people or dogs, and this one's just a bit uglier. :P)

But the overall designs were pretty solid, and they functioned well. I liked the idea of the bones and skulls grafted onto the helmets, too.

I'd put these Preds below the ones from the first two films (of course) and below the work on AVP:R, but probably above the Pred work on AVP or around the same level.

But honestly, I expected so much less from KNB - I haven't been impressed by their practical effects in the past much at all - that this was really more satisfying than I thought.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed