NECA Predator Figure Series

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 04, 2010, 06:10:40 AM

Author
NECA Predator Figure Series (Read 1,173,058 times)

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Neca teasing a new cloaking Pred fig.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Oooooh... That's nice! I like it!

Kailem

Kailem

The glowing yellow eyes are an especially nice touch. Interested to see a full reveal of this one.

Rzor

Rzor

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 16, 2016, 06:50:26 AM
But wouldn't the lack of light in such an environment eventually evolve these Predators into being albinos?

I mean, in the cases of Alligators and Crocodiles who have thrived in dark environments where there is no light-- they were eventually losing their pigmentation and even eye-sight since they would've adapted to such an environment. At least, that's what biologist had said in regards to gators and crocodiles if they wound up thriving in said environment like.. a sewer for years, that's what would've eventually happened.

In the case of Predators, I would've thought that the absence of light would affect their pigmentation to be albino, not translucent. And needing night vision when they have infrared which allows them to see in the absence of light? Well, at least I'm not the only one to point this out.

I mean the toy is cool and all but was there really a need to explain the gimmick which the original figure had? I mean couldn't they have left it to just the armor? Kind of screams the explanation which NECA tried to give Nightfighter Robocop.

Mmm that's not exactly how albinism works. Typically in species the gene for albinism is a recessive trait. It isn't dictated by the environment experienced by an organism- at least at first.  Over many many many generations however, IF the gene for albinism was already present in the population, or if a new genetic mutation causing albinism to appear, was suddenly favored by the organism's environment (let's say complete darkness), then more albinos might become more numerous in that population over time, if that mutation conveyed a higher level of success (reproduction), than organisms that weren't albino.

In "normal" conditions in most animals, albinism is not favored due to increased predation on that animal when it's young (albinos stick out like a sore thumb), or less success hunting prey (prey can see albinos easier than their normally colored counterparts). In addition albinos can be more photo sensitive than normal colored animals causing them to die earlier than animals with melanin which protects them from sun exposure.

Now, if you get that same population in a dark environment where the above factors wouldn't weed out albinos from the population, then you would probably see an increase in albinos over time.

In populations that have been living in caves over thousands if not millions of years, we often see reduced or absent eyesight paired with no skin pigmentation. This is an example of "if you don't use it, you loose it." In a dark environment, skin pigmentation and eye sight no longer conveys any benefit, and so genetic mutations which result in reduced eyesight and reduced pigmentation can be favored and thus, these individuals possessing those mutations become more numerous in the population.

Oy, that was kind of long, sorry.

Anyways, I'm new to these forums, Hi Everyone!

I'm super excited for NECA predators series 16 to come out. I already have a shelf with Battle Armor Lost hunting an Endoskeleton, so Spiked Tail's bio works perfectly for me!

I'm also excited to see the 3rd member of Series 17 on display at NYCC next week. I'm hoping it is Bonegrill or Alien Head from the AVP game. Any other guesses on what it might be?

Kailem

Kailem

Clean Leader bio:

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

I'm... oddly alright with Clan Leader's bio. I'm alright with it, for some reason I can't explain.  :o

The idea of a Grand Elder is.. actually fitting in terms of the Predator culture and perhaps their government. Although I would've liked it if they mentioned a Council of Ancients, I do see said council being centered around a Grand Elder. I don't have a problem with Clan Leader's bio.  :)

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 28, 2016, 10:33:38 PM
I'm... oddly alright with Clan Leader's bio. I'm alright with it, for some reason I can't explain.  :o

The idea of a Grand Elder is.. actually fitting in terms of the Predator culture and perhaps their government. Although I would've liked it if they mentioned a Council of Ancients, I do see said council being centered around a Grand Elder. I don't have a problem with Clan Leader's bio.  :)
I agree. I think NECA is doing a great job making these old favorites feel right at home in a shared universe.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Sep 28, 2016, 10:59:10 PM
I agree. I think NECA is doing a great job making these old favorites feel right at home in a shared universe.

I'll say this.. some gimmicks work, some gimmicks don't when attempted to be written in-universe.

In the case of Clan Leader, it works.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 28, 2016, 11:22:52 PM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Sep 28, 2016, 10:59:10 PM

I'll say this.. some gimmicks work, some gimmicks don't when attempted to be written in-universe.

In the case of Clan Leader, it works.
The description feels like something from the days of SD Perry writing the AVP novels such as Prey. I did enjoy those books and this bio for Clan Leader feels like it could be a part of that story.

Some things end up feeling terribly forced. Thankfully, as you said, this does not.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

More of the new cloaked Predator

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I do really like this new cloaked version as opposed to the older ones. I wonder if he'll have the new body

Kailem

Kailem

Serpent Hunter from AvP 2010 has just been revealed as one of the Series 17 Preds!

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

OOOOOH SHIIIIIIIT!!  ;D

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

That looks goddamn amazing. I knew they would make him soon. The AVP 2010 Predators are ripe for using the AVP sculpts.

Kailem

Kailem

They'll be showing off Ultimate City Hunter at NYCC soon too:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed