Verizon: Prometheus Mission Connect [Plenty of New Images]

Started by ikarop, Apr 12, 2012, 07:28:43 PM

Author
Verizon: Prometheus Mission Connect [Plenty of New Images] (Read 47,996 times)

Space Sweeper

Pretty cool comparison:

Vickers

Wow, everything looks so spectacular.  With all these new images lately, I don't know where to look...  "Oh shiny!... oh, oh shiny!!!!... oooh look at that shiny..."

At the same time I'm getting a little nervous they might go overboard with the marketing.  Look how many images we've seen from the film already.  We've had the teaser trailer, the full trailer, the Wondercon/IMAX trailer and then all the viral marketing.  It's a good sign they're so invested in this film but I want to feel surprised by the time Prometheus comes out.

Spoiler
- We already know that the space jockeys / engineers are tall blue-grey humanoids.
- We know that Vickers is keeping Peter Weyland on board the Prometheus.
- We know that Shaw uses the Med Pod to get a C-section or some other surgical procedure done to get an Alien lifeform removed from her.
- We know the Prometheus collides with the Derelict.

Those might not seem like such big spoilers to some but I kind of wished they kept things like that out of the marketing.
[close]

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 13, 2012, 03:58:00 AM
Pretty cool comparison:

Ridley seems to have a thing for turtles. ;D

LarsVader

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 13, 2012, 05:37:02 AM
Ridley seems to have a thing for turtles. ;D
And for chairs.

Ash 937

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 13, 2012, 12:55:33 AM

I would expect the monitor inside the cocktail table to resemble something a little less high-tech.  Alien used simple, green-screen monitors that looked like they were from the 1980's and it takes place after Prometheus.  The cocktail table should resemble something more like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDqw8oZS1w#ws

Valaquen

I wish the complaints about the screens would end. The Prometheus and Nostromo differ for a reason, and it's not exactly far-fetched.

NGR01

My take is that it's Peter Weyland suite not Vickers.

The only thing that bothers me is the furniture not being attached to the ship, i mean those are Ikea tables and chair, can you imagine what happen to the mess hall glass table when the ship navigate a bit rough...
Won't be important in the movie but its kinda throw me back design wise.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: NGR01 on Apr 13, 2012, 07:39:32 AM
My take is that it's Peter Weyland suite not Vickers.

The only thing that bothers me is the furniture not being attached to the ship, i mean those are Ikea tables and chair, can you imagine what happen to the mess hall glass table when the ship navigate a bit rough...
Won't be important in the movie but its kinda throw me back design wise.

Pretty sure the tables would be bolted down, or if not kept in storage during flight maneuvers, FTL jumps etc. They have a butler on the ship after all.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 13, 2012, 07:29:18 AM
I wish the complaints about the screens would end. The Prometheus and Nostromo differ for a reason, and it's not exactly far-fetched.

In fairness, it's one thing to differ from technology represented aboard an old tug and quite another to differ from that used on Gateway Station - and used at an apparently state-of-the-art hearing by Weyland-Yutani, themselves.

If nothing else, they should have tried to use similar types of font and wireframe-type graphics.

I can gloss over things like Burke's intercom being relatively low-resolution, because who knows how small the camera was on the other end? Likewise for the Marines' cameras. Maybe stuff like that was because of some new way to extend battery life.

But nobody was ever shown making mass use of things like holographic displays, even on the Auriga.

A few updated touches, here and there, are nice. Trying to sell something which is so radically different, wholesale, as being cost-effective enough to install on a spaceship like this, sent far, far away, but not closer to home many decades/centuries later? Even on what are clearly much later military vessels? It can be done, but it's going to make the previous films look really jarring when seen as a single continuity.

It's like they didn't even make an effort to try and stay relatively in line with the very reality they're meant to be working within and just went, "F**k it, let's out-do 'Minority Report'." :)

It's their choice! But it's going to make the very foundation upon which it's built seem strange. The more I see of this production, the more I get the feeling it's going to come across like something they should have just given up trying to link in any way with the franchise, rather than using it as an excuse to faff around with the Space Jockey mystery. Would've given them complete artistic and canonical licence to do the story however they want, then. It's not as if a completely new science-fiction project by this director wouldn't have sold just as well. Or just gone ahead and made it a futuristic sequel, rather than confining themselves in the historical precedent of a prequel prison.

Not judging the film's quality in any way. I still hope to enjoy what there is. Just lamenting apparently missed opportunities.

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 13, 2012, 08:31:42 AM
In fairness, it's one thing to differ from technology represented aboard an old tug and quite another to differ from that used on Gateway Station - and used at an apparently state-of-the-art hearing by Weyland-Yutani, themselves.
We see one room in Gateway, and the inquest isn't held by Weyland-Yutani; there are different insurance companies there, and maybe a couple of government lobbyists. It's a legal proceeding. WY are there for obvious reasons. But that's not the point (and who said the hearing was state of the art?) -- We have to accept that, even today, technological consistency can't really be found when you go from city to city, country to country. Recently I was shocked when I went to my fiance's clinic - it looked like something out of the Soviet era, and it's barely a mile away from my own clinic. I take experiences like this into account when I'm faced with things like Prometheus-Gateway, etc. Likewise, I've sat in university lecture halls with top of the line equipment, and conversely in a small court room with a battered old projector. In the same year, too. I really don't think it's that far-fetched.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

I had to submit a load of duff info just to play this game, careful what you put on there if outside the USA guys.

Finished the game, not a lot to do except find 2 words GENESIS and APOCALYPSE, also if you turn the power off to absolutely everything, a clue appears in the vault but I still dont know what to do with it lol.  Anyway one of those words (above) is very well hidden and both I suspect to do with Weyland, speaking of which, the answer to the question  to complete the game appears to be anything with his name in it... at least thats what I think!

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Zenzucht on Apr 12, 2012, 09:41:48 PM
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 12, 2012, 09:28:55 PM
Quote from: Eva on Apr 12, 2012, 09:25:50 PM
... this might have been noted by others before, but doesn't the transparant tubes in the 'lab' shot mounted on the wall, remind of similar tubes in Ashs lab enviroment on The Nostromo?

Spoiler
[close]

Great find! The lab definitely reminded me of Ash's little station on the Nostromo, but I didn't know it could be that specific.  Though the size looks different.

A loooong time ago, someone, somewhere, discussed it here
;)
That someone was me.  :P

Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 21, 2011, 02:44:28 PM

Look to the right of Fassbender, at the pink coloured objects behind him.  They're the same design as seen in the science lab onboard the Nostromo.

Could somebody take a screengrab from Alien to show what I'm referring to?  The objects are visible during the panning shot at the start of chapter 12 (theatrical cut).  Thanks.

Quote from: RoaryUK on Apr 13, 2012, 11:21:08 AM
I had to submit a load of duff info just to play this game, careful what you put on there if outside the USA guys.

Could you help me out?  I live in the UK but the registration only accepts USA details!  What can I enter for an address/post code and phone number to fool the system?

I wish that the people who design these websites would get a f**king clue.  Guess what?  WE DON'T ALL LIVE IN AMERICA!  Jeez.

And stuff

Quote from: Ash 937 on Apr 13, 2012, 07:21:21 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 13, 2012, 12:55:33 AM

I would expect the monitor inside the cocktail table to resemble something a little less high-tech.  Alien used simple, green-screen monitors that looked like they were from the 1980's and it takes place after Prometheus.  The cocktail table should resemble something more like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDqw8oZS1w#ws

I imagine the universe of Alien/Prometheus is as diverse (if not, more so) as our universe is here in real-life.  That said, it'd be kind of unrealistic for a mission like the Prometheus' to use the crusty technology you see in Alien.

icedog97

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 12, 2012, 09:10:36 PM
Holy shit. I loved the shot of the landed Prometheus. And the interiors are fantastic. Though I admit, the chandeliers took me off guard.

I love how the front/top of the ship has a shape similar to the design of the Narcissus.

This ship itself has Ron Cobb written all over it

NGR01

The 2 real reason why the Prometheus looks slicker than previous Aliens movies :
Scott is fed up with "grungy" Si-fi as he call it.
The average audience (the main target) has no taste for old school designs.

Now the whole "this is the best money can buy spaceship" angle works for me.
As long as the designs look good to me.
Those ikea table and that suite are a bit laughable.
Hope it will work in context.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed