Favourite TV Series

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Nov 22, 2006, 03:35:44 PM

Author
Favourite TV Series (Read 313,713 times)

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

It may be, but in my opinion, it is still interesting.
The point is that I enjoy this show.
You don't, and I'm cool with that.
Can you dig it?

Vertigo

Vertigo

It's not the premise that makes Dexter so good, it's the execution (excuse the horrible punning). The stories are played out over a whole season, in such a way that they're highly involving. Earlier on, particularly, there's some strong psychology in the writing, and you're encouraged to get into the guy's way of thinking, and make your own judgements on his mental state. It's also brilliantly acted for the most part, and there's a sheen of quality and no-compromise attitude throughout the whole production.
When I first started watching, my initial skepticism was forgotten by the end of the inspired intro sequence, which in many ways is a microcosm of the show's approach.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Vulhala on Nov 08, 2010, 05:30:54 PMA serial killer that hunts serial killers? Bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Why?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Vulhala on Nov 08, 2010, 05:30:54 PM
A serial killer that hunts serial killers? Bit hypocritical if you ask me.
It's not at all. It depends how far you are taking the term serial killer really, seeing as he does extended research on his targets, and has justifiable reasons for doing so. Did you watch since the first episode?

He's been trained to put his need for killing to good(?) use, and focuses only on those that deserve to die. Really, it's not hypocritical at all. He's pretty much a superhero without any powers, and much more permanent actions.  :D

Shasvre

Shasvre

I wouldn't call him a hero exactly. More like The Punisher, but with less guns.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Shasvre on Nov 08, 2010, 07:33:12 PM
And more subtlety. I definitely would not call him a hero either, just the same way I wouldn't call Batman a hero. An avenger is more like it. I was only using superhero as a very broad term.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 08, 2010, 07:37:30 PMAnd more subtlety. I definitely would not call him a hero either, just the same way I wouldn't call Batman a hero. An avenger is more like it. I was only using superhero as a very broad term.

I consider Batman a hero though. Dexter is different.

Spoiler
He's killing innocent people for example, just to vent his anger and guilt.
[close]

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Shasvre on Nov 08, 2010, 07:33:12 PM

Anti-hero is the term you're looking for.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Vulhala on Nov 08, 2010, 05:24:41 PM
I never got into Dexter. Way overrated in my opinion  :-\

yep totally agree, i find it very wanky, i suppose it's a good for sociopaths, as now they don't have to feel guilty for identifying with serial killers.  ;D

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Pn2501 on Nov 09, 2010, 03:01:02 AM
Quote from: Vulhala on Nov 08, 2010, 05:24:41 PM
I never got into Dexter. Way overrated in my opinion  :-\
yep totally agree, i find it very wanky, i suppose it's a good for sociopaths, as now they don't have to feel guilty for identifying with serial killers.  ;D
It's got quite the fanbase, and it has very high critical. So, I guess that would make you the social outcast.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

He said sociopaths, not social outcasts.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Sociopaths commonly are social outcasts.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

I watch lots o true crime stuff. The monsters really are good at blending in and being popular a lot of the time.
But I find the assumption that all who like this show are incapable of feeling to be an over generalization that really is unfounded.

First Blood

First Blood

I like the anti-hero aspect. A "good guy" acting like a villain in order to better society by taking out the criminals. I really have to start watching it.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 09, 2010, 03:18:39 AM
Sociopaths commonly are social outcasts.

Thanks Dr Space Sweeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0#

Quote from: TheMonolith on Nov 09, 2010, 03:22:17 AM
I watch lots o true crime stuff. The monsters really are good at blending in and being popular a lot of the time.
But I find the assumption that all who like this show are incapable of feeling to be an over generalization that really is unfounded.

I'm pretty sure i didn't say that,

Quote from: Pn2501 on Nov 09, 2010, 03:01:02 AM
i suppose it's a good for sociopaths, as now they don't have to feel guilty for identifying with serial killers.  ;D

I implied that sociopaths would like it, i never said "you" were a sociopath.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed