Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,678 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: g2vd on Jul 31, 2016, 12:22:08 AM
I will say Lucas has a truly visionary mind I mean he created the Star Wars mythos and others and is truly one of the best visionary filmmakers ever seen he just stinks so, so bad at directing now.

Every good idea Lucas ever had was given to him by someone else, and implemented by someone else. Alone, he's not much of an artist or creative. I've always admired other directors who are artists, designers, etc, but Lucas really sold his own legend and obscured many of his collaborators so he could be seen as the sole Father of Star Wars.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 31, 2016, 11:20:29 AM
Quote from: g2vd on Jul 31, 2016, 12:22:08 AM
I will say Lucas has a truly visionary mind I mean he created the Star Wars mythos and others and is truly one of the best visionary filmmakers ever seen he just stinks so, so bad at directing now.

Every good idea Lucas ever had was given to him by someone else, and implemented by someone else. Alone, he's not much of an artist or creative. I've always admired other directors who are artists, designers, etc, but Lucas really sold his own legend and obscured many of his collaborators so he could be seen as the sole Father of Star Wars.
The guy fought Hollywood and won and still gets shit for it. I understand where you're coming from but the really important idea was most likely his.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Lucas created the Star Wars sandbox. I've oft thought he gets too much flak from fans. True, the prequel trilogy is massively disappointing, but even so. Also, I'll take Revenge Of The Sith over Force Awakens any day. Force Awakens is a perfect example of a sequel/reboot that borrows way too much from it's original. It's also what doomed Predators, which tried so desperately to emulate Predator instead of forging it's own path. And more interesting than a Predator facing off against an all female cast, would be to maintain a predominately male cast, & feature a female predator.

genocyber

genocyber

The fact he gave the fans the middle finger when they complained about him altering the things they loved about the original movies and the prequels not being as well made shows how much of a man child he really is. Also the fact that he sold the rights to Disney and then called them white slavers makes him a real ungrateful piece of shit.

Vertigo

Vertigo

There's definitely someone ungrateful in the conversation, but I'm not sure it's Lucas.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Jul 31, 2016, 12:47:43 AM
I see what you're saying.  My problem with an all female reboot of Predator, is it would be an all female reboot of Predator.  Hear me out before anybody labels me sexist.  The problem I'd have with it, is the reasoning.  Let's do an all female reboot because 'Girl Power'.  It's where Ghostbusters went wrong.  I've got no problem with female Ghostbusters, I've got no problem with female characters battling a Predator, what I have got a problem with, is 'all' female because 'politics'.  You're already creating a problem with fans with a reboot, you're then dividing fans with political agendas, whilst dragging in others who for the most part, weren't fans of the original in the first place.  You bring out the feminazi's, you bring out the real sexist pigs, and the rest of us caught in the middle, get dragged into a maelstrom of bullshit, labelled sexist or anti woman for voicing your gripes with the reboot overall.  Now, if you wanted a reboot, and add female characters, who are interesting, who have depth, then hell yeah sign me up, but give me a good movie.  Ghsotbusters didn't do that, if Feig had spent more time going over his story, instead of his 'f**k the haters' attitude, 'girls are better than boys' mentality, we might have gotten something watchable. 

Take Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, or Buffy.  Three of the most iconic characters in Sci Fi/Horror.  Why, because of how they were written.  Feminine, yet strong, fragile yet badass.  And not badass because they were 'strong independent women' stereotypes, badass because they had to be.  Ripley was forced to battle the Alien because she was the last, then because the soldiers failed, then because her 'daughter' Newt was taken from her, then in Alien 3, because she had to save humanity.  The same with Sarah Connor, she had a future thrown at her that she didn't want, she cried, she screamed, she was afraid, but she came out strong, because she had to.  Move along to Terminator 2 and she is stronger, prepared, ready to fight, but still holds that frailty she had before she met Kyle Reese. (Her breakdown after trying to kill Dyson) And Buffy, the blonde from so many horror movies getting chased by the monster, became the one doing the chasing after finding out she was the next Slayer.  Again, because she had to, not because 'Girl Power'.  All three characters were strong, iconic, role models, because they were well written, well performed and grounded.  I didn't see any of that in ghostbusters.  I saw nerdy one, crazy one, loud one and awkward one.  And I don't think another all female reboot would be much different. 

Perfectly said, I think. On all counts.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Ghostbusters officially flops in the UK.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/uk/yearly/

Sabby

Sabby

This is actually pretty interesting. It's very hard to argue with numbers.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

There is always a minority of idiots who will post that kind of shit.  But it was a minority.  Paul Feig and the cast have themselves to blame for their arrogance, and gender baiting appearances, for driving away potential audiences

Sabby

Sabby

But muh narrative!

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: Sabby on Aug 03, 2016, 05:28:43 PM
But muh narrative!

Muh feelings

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

I fail to see how they actively drove away audiences. And it may have been a minority, but they sure were vocal. Quality of the film aside, there is absolutely no reason 4 women can't be ghostbusters.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Spidey3121 on Aug 03, 2016, 08:02:26 PM
I fail to see how they actively drove away audiences. And it may have been a minority, but they sure were vocal. Quality of the film aside, there is absolutely no reason 4 women can't be ghostbusters.

Hey, when you create a smear campaign against half the population, you respond.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: Sabby on Aug 03, 2016, 08:10:28 PM

Exactly.  And I don't have a problem with female Ghostbusters.  I have a problem with 'why' we had female Ghostbusters.  Openly generalising nerd culture, people who didn't like the trailer because it looked terrible under the label 'sexist' is going to drive people away.  And it did.  And now the movie has flopped

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Sabby on Aug 03, 2016, 08:10:28 PM

I was referring to the campaign against the movie, actually. Anything in response I felt was warranted. I don't think they labeled anyone simply disinterested in the film as sexists. A vast majority of people seemingly felt the need to chime in how stupid the notion of female ghostbusters was/is, & that is sexist.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed