Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,545 times)

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jul 29, 2016, 02:03:51 PM
The movie has been out for two weeks and has yet to make back its production money. If that isn't a testament to it being bad I don't know what is.

Yes, b/c popularity always translates to quality  ::)

Sabby

Sabby

I have no idea how this will go down, but here goes. I just watched the Half in the Bag review, and they brought up a really good point. Of all the films out there to revamp in this way, Ghostbusters is kind of a strange choice. You're feminizing something that was never particularly masculine. So I got to thinking...

...how would you guys feel about a GIRL POWER Predator movie?

Here me out! Don't kill me yet. Who would it take to direct and act and what would the story have to be to have you believe it could be a good Predator movie? I'm gravitating towards some of the comic plots. An all female prison being hunted by a Predator, or something set in Russia could be cool.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Sabby on Jul 30, 2016, 09:46:54 PM
I have no idea how this will go down, but here goes. I just watched the Half in the Bag review, and they brought up a really good point. Of all the films out there to revamp in this way, Ghostbusters is kind of a strange choice. You're feminizing something that was never particularly masculine. So I got to thinking...

...how would you guys feel about a GIRL POWER Predator movie?

Here me out! Don't kill me yet. Who would it take to direct and act and what would the story have to be to have you believe it could be a good Predator movie? I'm gravitating towards some of the comic plots. An all female prison being hunted by a Predator, or something set in Russia could be cool.

Your suggestions sound quite interesting.

Also take into consideration that being male or female means sod all when you fight an alien Predator hell bent on claiming your skull.

If he can kick Arnie's huge muscular ass in hand to hand, he can surely kick any man or woman's ass.

So ladies and gentlemen have to rely more on wits, much like Dutch, to outsmart a monster from another world.

Sabby

Sabby

Exactly why I went there. Predator has such a male flavor to it, but nothing about it needs to be masculine. It's a perfect candidate to get the feminist reboot tribute. They don't always have to be garbage. We don't always have to end up with Ghostbusters. Maybe we can get an Alien or Aliens now and then.

Now that I think of it, that prison comic might make a good TV series. Follow an agent trying to infiltrate a prison and unite the gangs against the Predator.

genocyber

genocyber

It would be very heavy handed and come off as an insecure plea from feminists.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: genocyber on Jul 30, 2016, 10:53:28 PM
It would be very heavy handed and come off as an insecure plea from feminists.

Likely, but I think it could work if handled right.

g2vd

g2vd

In my opinion I have to ask why?

Why hitchhike off the name and success of a existing franchise when you could make you're own? don't just remake a already existing movie with Females in the role make a new movie with it's own original characters and storyline and one that will not have it's merits compared against the original.

Just remaking a old movie with a new gender just reeks of laziness and unoriginality.

And it's just plain lazy.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: g2vd on Jul 30, 2016, 11:08:24 PM

Why hitchhike off the name and success of a existing franchise when you could make you're own?

Don't worry, I agree with ya. I would prefer people make the content they want to see. But they're not doing that, and so long as they're pushing themselves into other properties, why not try and do it good?

At the end of the day, I'd prefer original content, but they're going to reboot shit regardless, we could at least push for those properties to well handled.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Predator 2 showed they won't hurt a pregnant woman, so sending a team of expectant mothers-to-be after one wouldn't be a bad idea... 😉

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

>taking Red Letter Media seriously

You guys should know better than to treat the Lucas haters as taste makers.

g2vd

g2vd

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 31, 2016, 12:13:57 AM

I will say Lucas has a truly visionary mind I mean he created the Star Wars mythos and others and is truly one of the best visionary filmmakers ever seen he just stinks so, so bad at directing now.

If he has someone to hold him back than he's arguably the biggest boon you can get for a Scifi Film production you just have to hold him back.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: Sabby on Jul 30, 2016, 11:27:03 PM
Quote from: g2vd on Jul 30, 2016, 11:08:24 PM

Why hitchhike off the name and success of a existing franchise when you could make you're own?

Don't worry, I agree with ya. I would prefer people make the content they want to see. But they're not doing that, and so long as they're pushing themselves into other properties, why not try and do it good?

At the end of the day, I'd prefer original content, but they're going to reboot shit regardless, we could at least push for those properties to well handled.

I see what you're saying.  My problem with an all female reboot of Predator, is it would be an all female reboot of Predator.  Hear me out before anybody labels me sexist.  The problem I'd have with it, is the reasoning.  Let's do an all female reboot because 'Girl Power'.  It's where Ghostbusters went wrong.  I've got no problem with female Ghostbusters, I've got no problem with female characters battling a Predator, what I have got a problem with, is 'all' female because 'politics'.  You're already creating a problem with fans with a reboot, you're then dividing fans with political agendas, whilst dragging in others who for the most part, weren't fans of the original in the first place.  You bring out the feminazi's, you bring out the real sexist pigs, and the rest of us caught in the middle, get dragged into a maelstrom of bullshit, labelled sexist or anti woman for voicing your gripes with the reboot overall.  Now, if you wanted a reboot, and add female characters, who are interesting, who have depth, then hell yeah sign me up, but give me a good movie.  Ghsotbusters didn't do that, if Feig had spent more time going over his story, instead of his 'f**k the haters' attitude, 'girls are better than boys' mentality, we might have gotten something watchable. 

Take Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, or Buffy.  Three of the most iconic characters in Sci Fi/Horror.  Why, because of how they were written.  Feminine, yet strong, fragile yet badass.  And not badass because they were 'strong independent women' stereotypes, badass because they had to be.  Ripley was forced to battle the Alien because she was the last, then because the soldiers failed, then because her 'daughter' Newt was taken from her, then in Alien 3, because she had to save humanity.  The same with Sarah Connor, she had a future thrown at her that she didn't want, she cried, she screamed, she was afraid, but she came out strong, because she had to.  Move along to Terminator 2 and she is stronger, prepared, ready to fight, but still holds that frailty she had before she met Kyle Reese. (Her breakdown after trying to kill Dyson) And Buffy, the blonde from so many horror movies getting chased by the monster, became the one doing the chasing after finding out she was the next Slayer.  Again, because she had to, not because 'Girl Power'.  All three characters were strong, iconic, role models, because they were well written, well performed and grounded.  I didn't see any of that in ghostbusters.  I saw nerdy one, crazy one, loud one and awkward one.  And I don't think another all female reboot would be much different. 

Boy that was long.  I'm sure a few will disagree, by all means, I'm giving my opinion, not a truth 

Sabby

Sabby

No, I get it, part of why I suggested the Race War comic (I think that's what it was called, at least). There's a good context for the characters involved to be mostly female. It's still an attempt to make a female empowerment film, but it's not nearly as blatant and transparent as Ghostbusters.

Maybe the prison is super corrupt and tied to some criminal organization, which is what draws the Predator. It's after the people in charge, and the inmates are overlooked for the most part, but are what ultimately shiv the Predator in a gas chamber and then slam the door shut.

Again, not saying this is a good idea through and through, I just like to think of something could be done good, rather than just go 'this is bad never do it again'. I don't think that's productive.

All I'm trying to say is these reboots are not entirely devoid of potential, and so long as they keep happening there's value in perfecting them.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

The problem with reboots, is they think homages, and subtle nods to the original mean respecting the original.  But you can have all the nods and homages you want, if you have a shitty script, fans will hate it

genocyber

genocyber

Quote from: g2vd on Jul 31, 2016, 12:22:08 AM
Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 31, 2016, 12:13:57 AM

I will say Lucas has a truly visionary mind I mean he created the Star Wars mythos and others and is truly one of the best visionary filmmakers ever seen he just stinks so, so bad at directing now.

If he has someone to hold him back than he's arguably the biggest boon you can get for a Scifi Film production you just have to hold him back.
George Lucas is not a visionary, he's a capitalist. Everything good about the original films were from other peoples input, or them polishing his own ideas to be better. Did you not notice the prequels were all about banking clans and political games, the thing a guy like him finds more interesting than simple good vs evil stories.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed