Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,581 times)

Olde

Olde

Quote from: Gazz on Jul 12, 2016, 11:41:54 PM
Quote from: genocyber on Jul 12, 2016, 11:22:07 PM
So what I'm getting out of this is that as long as the original was good, its perfectly fine to make as many garbage sequels and reboots and drive the name into the f**king ground.

No one said that.
Why not? I'm perfectly okay with that. Future work doesn't have any bearing on past relevance if you don't allow it to. No one jumped off a bridge because A:CM retconned Hicks back onto LV-426. If Alien 5 retcons Alien3 and A:R, will anyone care? Likely not.

It shouldn't matter to you how many shitty sequels, remakes, or reboots come out of a franchise, even if they spit on the original's name. Hell, even the Ghostbusters (1984) we know was a remake/reboot. No matter how much future shlock comes out, it'll never change the quality of the one you like. Did Godfather Pt. 3 ruin Godfather Pt. 1? No. Grow up.

genocyber

genocyber

Spoken like a true consumer whore.

Olde

Olde

Whatever helps you sleep at night. At least I don't get pissed off about petty shit like remakes/reboots/sequels of movies that were merely decent. 8)

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: genocyber on Jul 12, 2016, 07:32:55 PM
You realize the more and money is given to this, the closer we get to a Back to the Future remake.

Exactly, how many times do people have to be burnt before they actually learn? How many times do we have to go down this ridiculous route?? Its the same story every bloody time! I could list all the recent shoddy reboots, remakes and sequels but there's no point, people just don't learn.

Apart from some rather questionable, positive, official site reviews with obvious political undercurrents (NY Times, Salon etc...), most everything I've seen on Facebook, You-Tube and other forums all say the same thing. Average and forgettable, not as terrible as we all expected.

But that isn't good! This isn't what we should be settling for with for a reboot of one of the best films of the 80's. This is why people shouldn't be giving money to Sony because it just encourages more poor reboots/sequels/remakes etc...

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

QuoteIf Alien 5 retcons Alien3 and A:R, will anyone care? Likely not.
I will so that statement is wrong.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 13, 2016, 02:06:31 AM

Agree +1

Olde

Olde

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 13, 2016, 02:08:37 AM

Agree +1
You'll all still watch the movie and that's enough for the film companies.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Listen and learn...

windebieste

windebieste

You know when a toy company dedicates an entire range to 'ALIEN 3' that more than just one person cares.

Don't underestimate how many people are fans of both these movies.  'ALIEN 3' and 'ALIEN: Resurrection' have a massive following.  Otherwise why would NECA manufacture this series? 

VIVA La Franchise in its Entirety! - and not just piecemeal fannish bigotry! 

- - -

As for the new 'Ghostbusters'... I'm not in a hurry to see it.  Eventually, yes, but probably once it hits Foxtel or something.  It looks like a 'by the numbers' updated interpretation with women cast in the same roles we've seen before without a Hell of a lot new to offer. 

-Windebieste.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

This is the start of a Civil War: The war against remakes. The 21st century needs to get it's shit together and make its own damn content; instead of riding coattails on the 20 century's material. I can't wait to see Alien 3.2... when it retcons A3 and AR the shit will hit the fan full speed.

I digress, I can't wait to see 50 cent play Marty Mcfly in the Back to the Future remake. Doc Brown... shit Christopher Lloyd can pull it off.  :laugh:

Olde

Olde

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 13, 2016, 02:18:01 AM
Listen and learn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PS7CgXHxps
19:13: "Or you just forget about the second." Wow, that video answered everyone's problem.
Quote from: windebieste on Jul 13, 2016, 02:38:10 AMYou know when a toy company dedicates an entire range to 'ALIEN 3' that more than just one person cares.

Don't underestimate how many people are fans of both these movies.  'ALIEN 3' and 'ALIEN: Resurrection' have a massive following.  Otherwise why would NECA manufacture this series? 

VIVA La Franchise in its Entirety! - and not just piecemeal fannish bigotry!
I meant to say that people will not care enough to boycott the movie with their money by not seeing it, which is practically the only way consumers tell companies what they want. Just look at the Alien 5 category here on AvP Galaxy. People are stoked to see the potential return of Ripley with Hicks and Newt. I'm sure many people will be disappointed but they won't be emotionally crushed or devastated to the extent that I think genocyber is. I'm pretty sure everyone here would still watch Alien 5 if it retconned Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection, which I think most people agree would actually be better for the series. Also, you obviously know those toys were manufactured back when Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection were still "canon." Don't you think that if Alien 5 retconned Alien3 and A:R, they'd make toys for that too?

I'm sure there are enough contradictory things in the extended universe/comic books/novelizations/films of Alien/Predator/AvP that people already choose what they want to believe. That's all I'm saying. I won't "care" (i.e. it won't be a huge crushing blow to me and destroy my love of the series) if Alien 5 retcons certain films or is a steaming pile of goat shit. It shouldn't affect your appreciation of the other movies, and if it pisses someone off so much that they refuse to outright see it, well, good for them for sticking to their guns I suppose but it ultimately displays immaturity and an unhealthy fixation with a canonic, set interpretation of a fictional series in a fictional universe.

Quotewhich I think most people agree would actually be better for the series. Also, you obviously know those toys were manufactured back when Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection were still "canon." Don't you think that if Alien 5 retconned Alien3 and A:R, they'd make toys for that too?
You couldn't make this sound snobbier if you teamed up with Chris Stuckman, Renegade Cut, Screen Junkies, Plinkett, and CinemaSins. That is something Brian Singer does and thanks to him I no longer have interest in X-Men movies.

windebieste

windebieste

Don't you think that they'll make toys if 'ALIEN 5' doesn't retcon anything

Coz that's an option, too.   :P 

A much better one.   

-Windebieste.

Olde

Olde

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 13, 2016, 03:04:43 AM
You couldn't make this sound snobbier if you teamed up with Chris Stuckman, Renegade Cut, Screen Junkies, Plinkett, and CinemaSins. That is something Brian Singer does and thanks to him I no longer have interest in X-Men movies.
Is it not true that we've been hearing rumours about Alien 5 being a continuation from Aliens rather than Alien: Resurrection? Is it not true that most people consider Alien: Resurrection garbage? Companies want to make the biggest draw to theaters that they can; if it means stepping over the integrity of a fan-appreciated franchise, they will. And sorry for my personal opinion that rebooting the franchise from where Aliens ended instead of where Alien: Resurrection left off would be a good idea. Tell me something, do you want to see Alien: Resurrection 2?

Also, I don't know who any of those snobs are but if you're trying to insult me because I'm rooted in reality, you can't see the obvious truth. If you don't believe that there will be toys based on whatever creations they make in Alien 5 if it's a good enough movie, then it doesn't matter what they do to Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection, they're going to "break canon" and make those toys. Not that a grown man or woman should be playing with toys in the first place. How's that for a snobbish comment?

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 13, 2016, 03:16:49 AM
Don't you think that they'll make toys if 'ALIEN 5' doesn't retcon anything
So you're in the camp that wants to see an Alien: Resurrection 2, as well?

Toy companies are in the business of making money. They'll make toys regardless of how the canon is affected, whether movies are retconned or not. My point is that they'll make whatever toys if there's a demand for it. The mere fact that A3 and A:R toys exist isn't going to dissuade a company from making new toys to accommodate a market demand. A toy company especially isn't going to care about maintaining the integrity of a film franchise just because it already released retconned products. Those toys sold in the 90s. Now? I don't think so much. From a company perspective, Alien 5 products are the way forward, not sticking to A3/A:R products.

We have yet to see how Fox deals with Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, so talking about it now is really a moot point. My major point, and this ties it back to Ghostbusters (2016), is that, by and large, we're bigger Aliens fans than is the average person, and even if Alien 5 retcons Alien 3 and/or Alien: Resurrection, I think most of us will still see it so we can judge for ourselves if it's any good, but technically if we don't like it, the only way we can really try to tell the studios that we don't like the decision is to pull a James Rolfe and not see it. Or if you don't like it, just ignore it. What a concept.

windebieste

windebieste

I'm in the camp that believes a retcon is completely unnecessary. 

I believe 'ALIEN 5' could easily be made without the need to resurrect deceased characters.  It's the only grievance I have with Blomkamp's proposal. Dead characters should stay that way.  Otherwise I am fully supportive of him making 'ALIEN 5'.

Most people want to see an action movie featuring xenos gunned down by USCM and they don't really care who is holding the pulse rifles just so long as acid blood is being spilt onscreen.  Retconning half the series just to accommodate Ripley, Hicks and Newt is just absurd. 

I would love to see the series work as a whole - and not the segmented, broken and discontinuous mess that Blomkamp currently proposes.   

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed