Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,715 times)

Magegg

Magegg

74% approval on Rotten Tomatoes so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5qyoxdu694

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 11, 2016, 04:28:35 PMYet 3.7/10 on IMDb
Which means obvious hate posting and fake reviews since the movie hasn't even been released for the general audience.

mez86

mez86

So I have just come in from watching this and to be honest with you guys I went in with reaily low expections after the trailers and I thought I be leaving the cinema tonight ready to bash the shit out off it. But I enjoyed  its funny the cast is great and yes that includes Melissa McCarthy (not a big fan of hers). I love the raw GB equipment and how they improve it over course off the film.  My only problem  with the film is the Bad guy which reaily lets this film down a better villain would have improved this film.

7/10

I hope this film does well enough for a sequel because I woulnd mind seeing another outing for the Female GB team.

Oh and if your going to the cinema to watch this go see it in 3D its the best 3d film since avatar it has great depth and it reaily does pop off the screen with the proton beams and ectoplasm flying out the screen if 3d films had been this good over the years it wouldn't be dying in the cinema or at home.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: mez86 on Jul 11, 2016, 10:10:05 PM
So I have just come in from watching this and to be honest with you guys I went in with reaily low expections after the trailers and I thought I be leaving the cinema tonight ready to bash the shit out off it. But I enjoyed  its funny the cast is great and yes that includes Melissa McCarthy (not a big fan of hers). I love the raw GB equipment and how they improve it over course off the film.  My only problem  with the film is the Bad guy which reaily lets this film down a better villain would have improved this film.

7/10

I hope this film does well enough for a sequel because I woulnd mind seeing another outing for the Female GB team.

Oh and if your going to the cinema to watch this go see it in 3D its the best 3d film since avatar it has great depth and it reaily does pop off the screen with the proton beams and ectoplasm flying out the screen if 3d films had been this good over the years it wouldn't be dying in the cinema or at home.

How much did Sony pay you?  ;D

I'm going to see it at the weekend, my expectations have been low ever since it was announced, and the horrible marketing campaign, along with Paul Feig's arrogance hasn't helped.  But I love movies, and I'm not one to bash the final product without seeing it first

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

The trailers in IMAX 3D looked fantastic. I have no problem with the chickbusters, nor am I all that big of a ghostbusters fan. I just don't think the comedy seen is all that great and Sony has too much influence on the reviewing community. Well that's not just Sony. Still on the fence. I might wait for a few more reviews but at the same time there isn't much else to do this weekend.

GQSioux

GQSioux

I'm torn on giving it a marginal 3/5 or 2.5/5.

There's a lot to like, but it's ultimately a middle of the road movie. I loved the opening. The 3D, ghost designs and special FX are actually quite good. I think, for the most part, the 4 girls have good chemistry but man oh man, did a good chunk of the jokes fall flat. If you've seen the trailers, you know some of the moments I'm talking about--like the crowd surfing joke in particular. Leslie Jones is basically a loud, walking stereotype. She has a few lines that are funny, but almost everything with her ends with an exclamation point which becomes a bit old and grating. The villain too (a cliche evil nerd), is ultimately weak, and I'm not even 100% sure why the hell he was doing what he was doing, but it paves the way for a weak climax. I really do want to see where they take this franchise though. The new universe and characters are likable enough to deserve a sequel as well as a better script. There was so much potential but it never quite took off. It's at least better than Ghostbusters 2 but nowhere near as great or quotable as the original.

But relax, it's not a total abysmal failure. Harold Ramis is not rolling in his grave right now. Go in with low expectations and you'll likely enjoy it. I'd seriously like to see the sequel fall into the hands of someone like writer/director Shane Black.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Magegg on Jul 11, 2016, 06:50:52 PM
Which means obvious hate posting and fake reviews since the movie hasn't even been released for the general audience.

There have been advanced screenings in the US and it was released on Sunday, here in the UK.

frenchfries

frenchfries

the annoying thing about reviews for this movie is if you hate it then you are called sexist and if you like it then ppl claim that sony paid you. Cant people just have different opinions?

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 12, 2016, 12:47:45 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Jul 11, 2016, 06:50:52 PM

There have been advanced screenings in the US and it was released on Sunday, here in the UK.

But that's not who're currently down-voting the film en masse on IMDB. You only have to glimpse at the message board to see the down-voting campaign in progress. There are pleas to rate the film as low as 1 from many who openly admit they have no intention to see it. The IMDB score is far from accurate and probably wont be for some time.

Quote from: frenchfries on Jul 12, 2016, 12:51:11 AM
the annoying thing about reviews for this movie is if you hate it then you are called sexist and if you like it then ppl claim that sony paid you. Cant people just have different opinions?

In a perfect world.

Hubbs

Hubbs

NY Times review sums up the man bashing attitude and biased views that many reviews have been showing. This is why its got a good score on RT, guilt tripping people into liking the film. The headline says it all...undercurrent of politics.

Our 'Ghostbusters' Review: Girls Rule. Women Are Funny. Get Over It.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/movies/ghostbusters-review-melissa-mccarthy-kristen-wiig.html?_r=0

This is the thing, most reviews seem to be, its OK, not as bad as expected, average fluff.

But is that good enough for a reboot of the Ghostbusters franchise? no. That is basically accepting mediocrity which will thusly lead to yet more mediocrity. For things to change in Hollywood people need to vote with their wallets, alas people just don't learn and this is why we keep getting garbage, and there's been plenty of that this year.

(Had no clue it was out here in the UK now).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 11, 2016, 11:59:45 PM
The trailers in IMAX 3D looked fantastic. I have no problem with the chickbusters, nor am I all that big of a ghostbusters fan. I just don't think the comedy seen is all that great.

I'm in the same boat. The lass really wants to go see it though so I imagine I'll watch it some point this week.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Pretty much the vibe I'm getting from this film, average.

Sabby

Sabby

Oooh, Sargon. Thanks for the link, wouldn't have thought to check for it.

Magegg

Magegg

'Ghostbusters' Haters Are Spamming IMDb With Low Ratings

http://screencrush.com/ghostbusters-imdb-what-the/

As expected.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed