Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,773 times)

Olde

Olde

I see this as a blatant "reboot" cash-grab masquerading as female empowerment that, because of dilution and mass processing to make comedy of the most inoffensive and politically correct type, and marketing it to the Tumblr demographic, becomes reduced to nothing but derivative, gross-out, schlocky, already-seen-before humor of the lowest common denominator. This is looking not only really derivative and tacky, but hilariously, will probably eventually be called out for being offensive. There are at least four things in the trailer I could call racist or at least stereotypical about the black woman already. Not that I care. I just think that trying to do inoffensive humor isn't possible because you can never win with the demographic to which this is obviously marketed, since they're always just looking for things by which to get offended for other people.

And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call myself a super fan of the original. It was a good comedy and I leave it at that. And hell, I'm probably the only one I know who thinks Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis were the best actors in that movie. But as with The Thing Prequel, there is absolutely no reason to remake or reboot the franchise. This is just what happens when you try to make humor of the least offensive, most mass-market type: utter garbage.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

It's funny but at least the black character got some lines of dialog in the trailer. Hell Ernie Hudson wasn't even credited in the first trailer even though he was in it and wearing the GB uniform.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 05, 2016, 11:21:07 PM
It's funny but at least the black character got some lines of dialog in the trailer. Hell Ernie Hudson wasn't even credited in the first trailer even though he was in it and wearing the GB uniform.

See? We beat racism!

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

oh, ho ho ho, now that's just mean; but it's not wrong.

Sabby

Sabby

I liked Robocop as movie. It was competent. If it wasn't a remake of a vastly superior and iconic film, it probably would have got decent reception.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

Well three of those movies were awesome, never saw Minority Report though.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Sabby on Mar 06, 2016, 01:59:08 AM
I liked Robocop as movie. It was competent. If it wasn't a remake of a vastly superior and iconic film, it probably would have got decent reception.
Maybe. For me it was straight to DVD material.

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Mar 06, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
Awesome is way too strong of a word... especially since Minority Report is that best on that list.

I'm not really looking forward to the movie, wasn't even much of a ghostbuster fan. Only recently while watching some shitty youtube channel did I realize ghostbusters is an awesome movie. Then there was the moaning over the female cast, to which I figured give them a chance, then this trailer came out... and you know what. It's terrible. Everyone is trying to lie to themselves in the hopes that the next one is better and I really hope it is. Cause they're isn't all that many movies that I want to see this year. Get your shit together ghostbusters.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Even the ladies don't like it from what I'm seeing on Facebook. Many complaints about the racial stereotyping of Leslie Jones character. I actually find this extremely amusing and puzzling, not because I'm being deliberately evil, but because this is a Paul Feig movie, a pro-feminist and supposed mighty progressive, yet he has simply thrown out a very dated, backwards, stereotypically cliched character, most odd.

Magegg

Magegg

I'd say: Whatever. It's a f**king movie. Entertainment, you know.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 06, 2016, 05:02:03 AM
I'd say: Whatever. It's a f**king movie. Entertainment, you know.

It's not a movie, it's social engineering. Boys are just empty minds on top of insecure muscle. They soak up whatever is portrayed to them in media and then go on to force their understanding of it onto the next generation. The only way to fix society is to replace the black Ghostbuster with a Demisexual, Imnigender, Transchild, Incubus/Cloudkin woman of colour and her Headmates.

Take that Bill Murray, ya Cis.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

lol It's funny when fans can do better things than the "professionals"

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Gilfryd on Mar 06, 2016, 12:08:51 AM

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Mar 06, 2016, 02:27:25 AM

Minority Report?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think he means Total Recall.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh shit that's right, ha, I thought it was minority report too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed