Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,704 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Sep 24, 2015, 10:55:00 PM
I think it's more to do with misogyny, as well as fans of the originals not wanting it made in the first place.

I'm not bothered, I'll wait for reviews, if it's good I'll watch it.
Yea I get that too, being that they appear as "working" women. It's kind of reminiscent of the current political atmosphere.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 25, 2015, 12:21:47 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Sep 24, 2015, 10:55:00 PM
I think it's more to do with misogyny, as well as fans of the originals not wanting it made in the first place.

I'm not bothered, I'll wait for reviews, if it's good I'll watch it.
Yea I get that too, being that they appear as "working" women. It's kind of reminiscent of the current political atmosphere.

Exactly. The film seem's like bad timing. We're going through a cultural change in regards to gender and this has rocked the boat hard. I hvae alot of trust in Feig but disappointed in him for this reaction.

Hubbs

Hubbs

The problem is the whole idea just feels like a political move to almost force this cultural change that's happening, as mentioned by hfeldhaus.

It doesn't feel like a movie being made for the love of it, the love of the original franchise, using great new ideas and concepts to further the whole thing.

It just feels like a political move, propaganda, pushing an agenda, it doesn't feel like a true movie. The cameos are clearly just to grab the attention of the older original fanboy base.

The fact they are using such an iconic, much loved and perfect movie franchise makes it even worse! If they were using a bad movie that could use a reboot, then fine.

irn

irn

Why remake a classic in this way at all?

Surely they could have done it as a sequel or something similiar yet unrelated with a different name.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Hubbs on Sep 25, 2015, 04:48:56 PM
The problem is the whole idea just feels like a political move to almost force this cultural change that's happening, as mentioned by hfeldhaus.

It doesn't feel like a movie being made for the love of it, the love of the original franchise, using great new ideas and concepts to further the whole thing.

It just feels like a political move, propaganda, pushing an agenda, it doesn't feel like a true movie. The cameos are clearly just to grab the attention of the older original fanboy base.

The fact they are using such an iconic, much loved and perfect movie franchise makes it even worse! If they were using a bad movie that could use a reboot, then fine.
Yeah- Because girls = political move.

There aren't working girls or scientist girls in the world, they're all political decoys.

Come on, dude, this is XXI century...

ace3g

ace3g

Paul Feig

@paulfeig

Gang, trying to keep surprises but this is about to leak, so I'll tell you myself: the awesome Sigourney Weaver is going to be in our movie!
10:17 AM - 25 Sep 2015

Hubbs

Hubbs

What is the point of these cameos? What?!
They're not going to make up for this lazy reboot, the key word for all of this being...lazy.

They clearly should of made a sequel with the old team passing the torch to a new team. Win win situation, nostalgia with the old team and a new team for a new generation.

I think every body would have been fine with that, even if the new team was all women.

The reason so many are angry is because this is a reboot, just look what happened to other recent iconic reboots like 'Robocop'.

The joke of it is, they now have all the original cast in with cameos, so why didn't they just make a straight sequel with them??!! Why do these actors not want to make a sequel but are happy to do pointless cameos in a reboot??

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

You'll get people signing on for short cameos. It's meaningless and gives their profile a short boost. If the property fails, their personal reputation won't take a hit.

When you're asking them to invest some serious time and effort in a main character, it's different... They start thinking about the actual quality of the script. If they think it's crap, then they know their inclusion will be more associated with it.

Respectful credit to Adam Baldwin for being above that apathy, when it came to 'Requiem'.

As for political correctness, I agree with Hubbs that the casting demographic looks dubious, at best. It's like they're reversing the roles for the sake of it, not because it adds anything to the story, except failing to understand why those roles succeeded in the first place - what we know and have seen of Hemsworth is strongly pointing to this. We could be wrong in those assumptions, of course, but it's as was said above: He seems to be coming across as a 'hunky nerd' stereotype.

That's what people seem to be objecting to here. The fact this all seems so horridly predictable and formulaic, when the original film is so iconic because it broke the proverbial mould for comedy.

I certainly wouldn't object to an all-female team, but the way they're going about it just seems destined to fail - and when you feel that way about something, you wish to high heaven that they weren't doing it with a franchise which is so beloved. Everything I've heard about this, so far, makes me think they could have easily just made it something completely original.

And, sadly, those leaked Sony E-mails which referred to the plans for this series, only confirm this. They aren't doing this because the scripts are necessarily any good. They're doing it because they want not just one sequel, but a spin-off, just to make money. That's arse-about-face. They should get a script which is good enough to conceivably make a profit and then finance it.

And let's look at the female characters... There are a number of actresses I could think of who have excellent comedy timing, but none of these ones strike me that way. So, again, yet another factor which feels uninspiring about this particular production.

And, yes, I feel this way about the spin-off, too, which is already in production and has male leads.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 26, 2015, 11:46:54 AM
You'll get people signing on for short cameos. It's meaningless and gives their profile a short boost. If the property fails, their personal reputation won't take a hit.

When you're asking them to invest some serious time and effort in a main character, it's different... They start thinking about the actual quality of the script. If they think it's crap, then they know their inclusion will be more associated with it.

Respectful credit to Adam Baldwin for being above that apathy, when it came to 'Requiem'.

As for political correctness, I agree with Hubbs that the casting demographic looks dubious, at best. It's like they're reversing the roles for the sake of it, not because it adds anything to the story, except failing to understand why those roles succeeded in the first place - what we know and have seen of Hemsworth is strongly pointing to this. We could be wrong in those assumptions, of course, but it's as was said above: He seems to be coming across as a 'hunky nerd' stereotype.

That's what people seem to be objecting to here. The fact this all seems so horridly predictable and formulaic, when the original film is so iconic because it broke the proverbial mould for comedy.

I certainly wouldn't object to an all-female team, but the way they're going about it just seems destined to fail - and when you feel that way about something, you wish to high heaven that they weren't doing it with a franchise which is so beloved. Everything I've heard about this, so far, makes me think they could have easily just made it something completely original.

And, sadly, those leaked Sony E-mails which referred to the plans for this series, only confirm this. They aren't doing this because the scripts are necessarily any good. They're doing it because they want not just one sequel, but a spin-off, just to make money. That's arse-about-face. They should get a script which is good enough to conceivably make a profit and then finance it.

And let's look at the female characters... There are a number of actresses I could think of who have excellent comedy timing, but none of these ones strike me that way. So, again, yet another factor which feels uninspiring about this particular production.

And, yes, I feel this way about the spin-off, too, which is already in production and has male leads.

Yes! +1 :)

How many times do hear about a studio gearing up to make a bunch of sequels before the first movie has even come out. No one is interested in actual quality these days, they just want a fast food franchise they can spin out and make a quick gazillion Dollars. Its like they want an instant Star Wars universe without any of the hard work and universe building. They just want it all out quick quick to ride the bandwagon.

And yes, if your rebooting, at least try and be your own thing, do your own thing, there's no point just redoing the original film. The gender swapping is clearly their rather lazy attempt to try and fool people into thinking its a fresh outlook, something new, maybe even trying to fool themselves. But in all honesty it really does just look like a lame PC move to look progressive, as Xenomorphine said they don't understand what made the characters work in the first place.

Its like gender swapping Ripley into a bloke, easy to do, would feel 'new', but ultimately you lose the whole essence of that character.

The Hemsworth casting seems to make a joke out of their own little progressive PC move, which they haven't picked up on apparently.

Of course I could be wrong but everything so far really points to predictable stereotypical fail again. The cameos just feel like damage control already, as if the original stars will somehow fool us into thinking its a real Ghostbusters movie, or a good one.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: ace3g on Sep 25, 2015, 11:22:14 PM
Paul Feig

@paulfeig

Gang, trying to keep surprises but this is about to leak, so I'll tell you myself: the awesome Sigourney Weaver is going to be in our movie!
10:17 AM - 25 Sep 2015

I'm guessing this'll be no different than her non-roles in Chappie, Cabin in the Woods, Paul, etc.

ace3g

ace3g

Hollywood Reporter Verified account
‏@THR

Rick Moranis won't be making a cameo in #Ghostbusters:"It makes no sense to me." http://thr.cm/zvGCrj 

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: ace3g on Oct 07, 2015, 11:04:23 PM

Hollywood Reporter Verified account
‏@THR

Rick Moranis won't be making a cameo in #Ghostbusters:"It makes no sense to me." http://thr.cm/zvGCrj 

So when will he be getting labelled and branded a misogynist?

Corporal Hicks

ace3g

Infected

Infected

They need to put in Vince Vaughn, Shia as Louis, Teddy Crews, The Rock, put in some funny guys like these dudes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed