Started by CELTICPRED, Dec 13, 2006, 05:23:55 AM

Author
All Star Wars (Read 2,790,939 times)

First Blood

First Blood

Star Wars is dead.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Somebody think of the poor children...getting brainwashed the poor things  ::)

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 13, 2019, 02:16:12 PM
Are you guys serious?

50/50 tbh
50% yes because it's their M/O right now
50% no because it's a cartoon and while I haven't watched anything since Rebels ended the new stuff has all looked like crap imo. My 8 year old brother won't even watch the stuff  :laugh:

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: First Blood on Feb 13, 2019, 02:18:57 PM
Star Wars is dead.

Yep.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Dec 27, 2018, 03:26:54 PM
Star Wars as a movie franchise was finished in 1983, now we are only watching it's puppeted corpse being paraded about for pennies out of nostalgia.

First Blood

First Blood

I'd agree with that assessment.

The Old One

The Old One

At least we got John William's scores for 1, 2, 3 & Star Wars Clone Wars out of it cinematically.

Otherwise, there's the obvious wealth of EU content that's held in high regard.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 13, 2019, 03:47:00 PM
At least we got John William's scores for 1, 2, 3 & Star Wars Clone Wars out of it cinematically.

Otherwise, there's the obvious wealth of EU content that's held in high regard.

Anything pre-2016 is Gucci with me. The rest? Pure garbage. An utter dumpster fire.

The Old One

The Old One

Even that's a little, shortsighted- there was plenty of garbage Pre-2016 and a few good books since.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Besides the Darth Bane novels, what did you like from the old EU?

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 13, 2019, 10:00:05 PM
Even that's a little, shortsighted- there was plenty of garbage Pre-2016 and a few good books since.

'Rogue Planet' (2000) put me off Star Wars fiction altogether (though even that was sort of a 'last straw' situation). Only recently gave it another shot with 'Thrawn' (2017), which was a good, solid read.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 13, 2019, 10:03:04 PM
Besides the Darth Bane novels, what did you like from the old EU?
Aforementioned Darth Bane Trilogy.
James Luceno's Darth Plagueis, Timothy Zahn's Outbound Flight and Kenobi.

Canon: Thrawn, Thrawn Alliances, Thrawn Treason. (I hope.)
Tarkin, Lost Stars.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

That's all?

SM

SM

I read about half of Tarkin fully expecting it to be a schnoozefest.  What I read was pretty good - unfortunately I was on holiday and had to return it to the library before I could finish.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 13, 2019, 10:24:00 PM
That's all?

I haven't read them all, I haven't read anything beyond ROTJ at all,
despite rave reviews regarding the Legends Thrawn Trilogy and other entries.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: SM on Feb 13, 2019, 10:44:00 PM
I read about half of Tarkin fully expecting it to be a schnoozefest.  What I read was pretty good - unfortunately I was on holiday and had to return it to the library before I could finish.

I'm reading that one now, and enjoying it. Luceno's a more 'artful' writer than Zahn, who is very meat-and-potatoes (not that there's anything wrong with that!). But one thing Zahn intuitively understands is that in Star Wars, something must always be happening. Doesn't have to be action, could just be an interesting conversation, but things must be moving along. Meanwhile I'm noticing that Luceno has no qualms about stopping the narrative entirely to go into four or five pages of expository stuff about something that happened decades ago across the galaxy, and it starts to feel more like a textbook than a novel. Granted it's all interesting stuff, but when he finally gets back to the here-and-now, I've forgotten what's going on!  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed