Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,689 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Master on Nov 22, 2021, 05:43:17 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 22, 2021, 02:43:50 PM
Quote from: Master on Nov 22, 2021, 02:13:20 PM
Spoiler
You've got a point Sir, yet I'd much rather face brand new villain.  Also whole summoning of the Goser was rushed and abit sill (mother and teacher, gah...)and , you know, Goser was the Destroyer not ruler. Vigo on the other had was supposed to be dark messiah,  ruler type.
[close]

Spoiler
Well, the only way you can open the gateway for Gozer is through Vinz & Zuul / Keymaster & Gatekeeper, so it made sense to see that occur again to bring Gozer the Traveller back to Earth.
[close]

Personally I find some of the criticisms with Afterlife very odd, and mirroring my actual complaint with "Ghostbusters 2". To me Ghostbusters 2, while changing names and faces of the antagonists, repeats the same narrative structure too closely of the first movie and results is a poorer imitation... much like "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" does to A New Hope.

"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" actually feels like a bona-fide sequel to Ghostbusters (1984)... where I'm not surprised nor disappointed to see threads continued.

Sequels regularly does that. See Aliens, Predator 2 and Terminator 2. I agree Afterlife feels allot like Force Awakens.

Nah, Ghostbusters 2 and A Force Awakens are like siblings... not Afterlife.

With Force Awakens, instead of R2-D2 hiding the plans, it's BB-8 with the map. Instead of Luke on the desert planet, it's Rey. Instead of the Mos Eisley Cantina it's the Mas Cantina. Instead of old man Obi-wan dying, we get old man Han. Instead of the Rebels Assault the Death Star we get the Rebels fighting the Star Killer, etc. etc. etc.

You get the same thing, even worse, in "Ghostbusters 2". No one believes in ghosts again, then there's a ghost event surrounding Dana Barrett again, and Venkman and Dana start a budding romance again, ghosts start to appear again, queue montage of Ghostbusters again, with an end-of-world event occurring, only for the Ghostbusters to be locked up again by a prick who is working with the mayor again, only for mayor to bust the Ghostbusters out of lock-up again, and let them do their thing again, to save the day again, and New Yorkers to cheer and love them again, etc. etc. etc.  Nah, to me Afterlife does a lot more different, even with a familiar vilian.

Master

Master

You got a point, though the whole "it's been 30 years and many things happened,  but the situation is somehow identical again" fits the FA bill like hand in the glove.

GB2 is more like Return of the Jedi. It has the original cast in their prime attacking yet another Death Star but the whole spinn is different enough. Besides it's hard not to love the court scene and Titanic coming back  ;D end the Statue of Liberty climax was outstanding.  If I were a Newyorker, I love that for sure!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Master on Nov 22, 2021, 07:28:07 PM
You got a point, though the whole "it's been 30 years and many things happened,  but the situation is somehow identical again" fits the FA bill like hand in the glove.

I don't quite see it as identical films, other than an unvanquished antagonist's return and the rules that follow that unvanquished antagonist. But your way of thinking on this is not alone, and it does seem one's perspective on this becomes that line where many positive and negative reviewers stake their flags.

QuoteGB2 is more like Return of the Jedi. It has the original cast in their prime attacking yet another Death Star but the whole spinn is different enough.

Yeah, to me, you have it backwards. Afterlife is like Return of the Jedi, where the majority of the movie is different from A New Hope (even though there is that goal again at the end of the film to stop a Death Star) where GB2 just retreads GB1's major beats like The Force Awakens does to A New Hope, slapping it with new names and new paint and calling it different.

Master

Master

But the names and faces are thesame in GB2!  :D

You know what? I'll stop right here. I'm happy you liked new one and yet I prefere the former sequel. I'm not saying new one is bad, just that older is better. I know you think different and I'm okay with that.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Master on Nov 22, 2021, 09:25:36 PM
But the names and faces are thesame in GB2!  :D

You know what I mean ya goofball! :D Walter Peck to Jack Hardemeyer... Gozer to Viggo.. big tall mean Stay Puft to big tall controlled Lady Liberty

Master

Master

Sequel! Thats exactly a sequel made in 80's! Predator hunting in jungle vs Predator hunting in city! MacLane fighting in the skyscraper offing badguys helped by black cop vs MacLane offing badguys at the airport helped by black aircontroler! Sarah Connor protected by future warrior against robot from future destroyed in factory vs John Connor protected by future warrior against robot from future destroyed in goddamn factory! Ripley dropping aliens into space through airlock! Twice! All beats in her story are exactly thesame! Thats how you did sequels back in the day and they are incomparable with today standards. I don't think it's good though. 80's and 90's gave us the best movies.

ace3g

ace3g

These photos remind me of the "stunt double" scene from Spaceballs.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Master on Nov 22, 2021, 10:57:15 PM
Predator hunting in jungle vs Predator hunting in city!

Ooh, now you're fighting dirty  :D

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 22, 2021, 03:00:21 PM
https://youtu.be/nMtrjNPcjR0

I haven't watched the movie and I'm only halfway through the review but I already despise this movie with every fibre of my soul for its cynical exploitation of nostalgia

Tell me "But you should've watched movie first" all you want. I don't care, f**k it. I hate Afterlife

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 22, 2021, 11:05:46 PM
Tell me "But you should've watched movie first" all you want. I don't care, f**k it. I hate Afterlife

Same.  It sounds awful.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Sequel! Thats exactly a sequel made in 80's! Predator hunting in jungle vs Predator hunting in city! MacLane fighting in the skyscraper offing badguys helped by black cop vs MacLane offing badguys at the airport helped by black aircontroler! Sarah Connor protected by future warrior against robot from future destroyed in factory vs John Connor protected by future warrior against robot from future destroyed in goddamn factory! Ripley dropping aliens into space through airlock! Twice! All beats in her story are exactly thesame! Thats how you did sequels back in the day and they are incomparable with today standards. I don't think it's good though. 80's and 90's gave us the best movies.

Let's be fair. Aliens isn't widely criticized for that. Neither is Predator 2. But Ghostbusters 2 is widely criticized for aping the original and repeating the same narrative structure too much and too closely of Ghostbusters.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 23, 2021, 12:17:25 AM

Same.  It sounds awful.
Counterpoint: Ghostbusters Afterlife is simultaneously cool while also being good.

Master

Master

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 23, 2021, 12:29:48 AM

Let's be fair. Aliens isn't widely criticized for that. Neither is Predator 2. But Ghostbusters 2 is widely criticized for aping the original and repeating the same narrative structure too much and too closely of Ghostbusters.

Predator 2 was also criticized   for great many things and didn't allow for P3 to happen in the best possible time. Same with GB2. I love it, you clearly don't.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Master on Nov 23, 2021, 11:07:06 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 23, 2021, 12:29:48 AM

Predator 2 was also criticized   for great many things and didn't allow for P3 to happen in the best possible time. Same with GB2. I love it, you clearly don't.

Absolutely "Predator 2" was widely maligned and widely criticized for a great many things, especially upon release. But aping the original film wasn't one of them. ("Predators", now that's a different story.)

Not knocking that you love GB2 brother. Love it to your hearts content! This was just a discussion of Afterlife and how much it apes the original, and our debate which film does it worse. And it's probably run its course.  :)

Cheers!

Master

Master

My biggest concern about Afterlife is awfully annoying mother character and the fact it dosent bring anything new to the franchise.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 23, 2021, 07:40:53 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 23, 2021, 12:17:25 AM

Same.  It sounds awful.

Counterpoint: Ghostbusters Afterlife is simultaneously cool while also being good.

Are you suggesting that I should forego the ice cream?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed