Every Enemy and Non-Human Creatures in Aliens Fireteam Elite

Started by PAS Spinelli, Mar 03, 2021, 09:49:26 PM

Author
Every Enemy and Non-Human Creatures in Aliens Fireteam Elite (Read 65,399 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 13, 2021, 12:30:12 AM
In my opinion any other extraterrestrial intelligence severely diminishes the down to earth nature of Alien, risks turning it into just another space opera, and it's just generally not appropriate.
The whole Alien universe already got shrunk down to "humans are at the centre of everything". That ship has sailed :-\

BlueMarsalis79

Aways the case in one way or another.
No new species will be appropriate.
Within the fiction of the universe or out.
Something on the level of H.R Giger's creation?
I sincerely doubt it.

Firstly from a non-fiction perspective:
Any "intelligent extraterrestrial" life in reality, will likely be nigh incomprehensible to our perspective, it's arrogance in the extreme to think our concept of advancement's the only one.

And from a fictional perspective:
We see things through human eyes we have no other choice in the matter, so although it is understandable to desire to theorise on interactions with similarly intelligent (in our way of seeing advancement) extraterrestrial life by way of fiction, we must admit it's ultimately only from our biased viewpoint and not Alien at all but actually just a reflection of us.

Alien's the antithesis to discovering new forms of life open to exchange. Even if we can, appreciate them or not the Prequels as part of the mythology firmly say nothing's out here just the absent ancients, just more land and sea and animals and us. And the artificial intelligence that want us dead.

The original film everything's based upon, attempts to be as relatable as possible and, in this way it rightly asks what we do daily? We do not interact with other "intelligent extraterrestrial" life. We just attempt to get by, with someone else punching down intentionally or not, we get thrown to the wolves often enough.

The Alien's (even that's just correctly actually a mirror on us now not in the hypothetical future as with most cyberpunk) the one aspect of pure fantasy in a realm attempting to stay as true to life as possible, to turn it into something with things willing or capable to communicate with humanity undermines not only the title entirely, but everything that makes it unique and worth exploring as an intellectual property in my opinion.

Vrastal

Vrastal

Other intelligent species wouldnt be the weirdest thing and does fit in universe. there's other non-intelligent species and weve seen that there are other engineer like colonies. so realistically they may be very close to the engineer or human species but its not outside the realm of possibility of the alien universe

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Mar 13, 2021, 01:31:57 AM
I also find it strange that humanity didn't come across another sapient extraterrestrial race after all these years. The excuse in Dead Space for example was that the Brethren Moon, who are the creators of the Markers, ate almost all life in the milky way galaxy using the Markers as beacons for them to hone in on once the necromorph infestation takes hold on the race they are infesting. Humanity was one of the last ones to be eaten so by logic, the title "Dead Space" fits due to the Brethren Moons eating all life out there.

In the Alien/AVP/Predator Universes, there is no such excuse so I don't see introducing a new race being negative, rather it can open new avenues of storytelling.

Google the great filter.  There is evidence to support that we might be the only ones in the REAL universe.

I don't think so, but there is more evidence to support it now, than not. 

PAS Spinelli

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

You can see obvious neomorph inspirations to be sure.

Immortan Jonesy

I'd be delighted if unused creature concept from the prequels make its way in future media.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 13, 2021, 02:41:41 AM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Mar 13, 2021, 01:31:57 AM
I also find it strange that humanity didn't come across another sapient extraterrestrial race after all these years. The excuse in Dead Space for example was that the Brethren Moon, who are the creators of the Markers, ate almost all life in the milky way galaxy using the Markers as beacons for them to hone in on once the necromorph infestation takes hold on the race they are infesting. Humanity was one of the last ones to be eaten so by logic, the title "Dead Space" fits due to the Brethren Moons eating all life out there.

In the Alien/AVP/Predator Universes, there is no such excuse so I don't see introducing a new race being negative, rather it can open new avenues of storytelling.

Google the great filter.  There is evidence to support that we might be the only ones in the REAL universe.

I don't think so, but there is more evidence to support it now, than not.

Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 13, 2021, 02:32:12 AM
Firstly from a non-fiction perspective:
Any "intelligent extraterrestrial" life in reality, will likely be nigh incomprehensible to our perspective, it's arrogance in the extreme to think our concept of advancement's the only one.

And from a fictional perspective:
We see things through human eyes we have no other choice in the matter, so although it is understandable to desire to theorise on interactions with similarly intelligent (in our way of seeing advancement) extraterrestrial life by way of fiction, we must admit it's ultimately only from our biased viewpoint and not Alien at all but actually just a reflection of us.

Something to think about...

Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 13, 2021, 02:32:12 AM
Alien's the antithesis to discovering new forms of life open to exchange. Even if we can, appreciate them or not the Prequels as part of the mythology firmly say nothing's out here just the absent ancients, just more land and sea and animals and us. And the artificial intelligence that want us dead.

The original film everything's based upon, attempts to be as relatable as possible and, in this way it rightly asks what we do daily? We do not interact with other "intelligent extraterrestrial" life. We just attempt to get by, with someone else punching down intentionally or not, we get thrown to the wolves often enough.

The Alien's (even that's just correctly actually a mirror on us now not in the hypothetical future as with most cyberpunk) the one aspect of pure fantasy in a realm attempting to stay as true to life as possible, to turn it into something with things willing or capable to communicate with humanity undermines not only the title entirely, but everything that makes it unique and worth exploring as an intellectual property in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't want the Alien universe to be turned into a wonderful space exploration adventure like Star wars and Star Trek.

#AlĂ­en to life itself

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'd only want new sentient species to be just as bad as the Alien. 

BlueMarsalis79

I'm fine with sentient things populating the universe just not sapient things.

Immortan Jonesy

It may be fun if the sentient beings are spooky on a Giger level.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah but that's the thing you will never outdo the first in that regard.

Huggs

Huggs

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 13, 2021, 12:30:12 AM
it into just another space opera

Scott already did that, down to "daddy doesn't love me, in my forlorn forsaken I shall commit dramatical genocide".
Alien has not only jumped the shark but humped it as well.
QuoteSpace Marines versus Tyranids thing

Yep. This is way more Kill Team than it is Left for Dead. The only thing missing is cel shading.

BlueMarsalis79

I prefer to call it disappointment with the lineage of biological creation.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 13, 2021, 12:14:51 AM
The 'Burster' is there to serve exactly the same purpose as Gearbox decided to include 'Boilers' for: To copy the Boomer class from 2008's 'Left 4 Dead'. It's clearly no deeper than that. This is a shallow interpretation of the continuity, heavy on the pyrotechnics and not much else - which is fine for a fun time-waster. Anyone looking to this for more than that is going to be really disappointed.

Nevertheless, the more I see of this product, the more it feels like the team really just wanted to do a Space Marines versus Tyranids thing, but couldn't get the rights for 'Warhammer 40,000' and decided to just reskin it for 'Alien', instead. A lot of the creature variations make zero sense for our continuity, but would easily make a lot of sense for Tyranids. It's basically a cartoonish Space Marine campaign doing a search-and-destroy for Tyranids, except flavoured for LV-426.

'Praetorians'. = Hive Tyrants. 'Runners'. = Genestealers. Etcetera... At least that would make more logical sense than a space station keeping thousands of dogs on it, for no apparent reason. And the less said about depicting the creatures from 'Aliens' as only capable of slowly walking around, the better. :laugh:

Not that this will take anything away from the fun it will hopefully generate. If it's an affordable enough price and proves a laugh with friends, it'll basically succeed as a video game. As any kind of serious attempt at playing in the 'Alien' sandbox, though... LOL, no.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 11, 2021, 12:12:44 AM
If Aliens: Phalanx was set in a space medieval world, someone can make a book about an utopian / distopian world whose inhabitants live in a cyber/bio-punk colony, were people use the tech at hand to have fun with their sex & gender.

Rico Ross revealed in a recent interview that the intent of that line was very much to reference an ET species. Which has always made more sense to me, since the clinical term, 'male', was used, instead of something more informal, like 'guy'.

Besides, a galaxy where humans are the only sentient species in it feels too arrogant and unbelievable.

As someone mentioned here before, the slow Warrior is whenever it got electrocuted, you can see the symbols beneath it's health. It's as if they always want to slow him down because they can't fight a full speed one.

And yeah, I also get a real Warhammer space marines vs Tyranids vibe, though I don't mind that. I just hope I have enough option to raise the difficulty.

P.S. the Spitter surely looks like it came from a neomorph, even walks like one on all fours.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed