Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019

Started by BonesawT101, Oct 14, 2017, 07:53:54 PM

Author
Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019 (Read 69,959 times)

DemonicD13

A little over a year ago the Air and Space Smithsonian showed a double feature of Alien and Aliens on their Imax screen in 4K (not sure how they pulled it off) it looked phenomenal.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: tech man on Jan 15, 2019, 09:25:14 AM
The cameras couldnt even record 4k so how is it 4k

The original negative is re-scanned at 4K resolution.

And you call yourself 'tech man'?  :D

MaxDuNord

Hopefully this will be the original theatrical cut.

Whiskeybrewer

Ill only get this depending on the extras

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 14, 2019, 09:52:45 PM
Gimme them slaps Ridley! And get rid of that dodgy Ash head!

Oh man, I'd buy a re-release purely on the basic of improving some of the editing around that stupid head.

SiL

Quote from: tech man on Jan 15, 2019, 09:25:14 AM
The cameras couldnt even record 4k so how is it 4k
35mm film has approximately 6k resolution. There were also 70mm prints done up for the initial release.

Necronomicon II

The hdr/extra resolution will make this really pop, it's going to look stunning, the KY jelly will glisten like its never glistened before.

tech man

tech man

Hi, techman here again.

I read wrong. I thought it is all 4 movies as uhd. That would be impossible because all of the CGI was very likely done as the resolution that the movietheaters showed at that time. Usually it is cropped to full hd and bars added.

Therefore you cant have alien3 or 4 as 4k because all digital effects would have to be made from scratch with 4k models and so forth even if the original negatives of the movie would exist and could be scanned to digital version as 4k.

I didnt reat enough to see that it is only alien 1 that is now 4k so that actually is possible as 4k if they take the whole data that the negatives recorded back at the day.

tech man

tech man

Actually alien 3 and 4 could be made 4k too because cgi is so limited in alien 3. Alien 2 has no cgi. Alien 4 cgi would need to be done by professionals who would have to use the cgi models from original resurrection and then make them higher resolution and have them walk all the same way etc, Would really need top professionals. There wasnt much cgi in resurrection, the swimming scene and some other but they basically could be done too.

SiL

Again, no -- Resurrection was shot and released on film. They'd just take 4K scans of the 35 mm film prints. Jurassic Park is 4 years older and they didn't have to redo the CGI for the 4K release. The CGI might look worse, but there's no reason to redo it.

Something like Predators will be a bit screwed because they filmed in Full HD digital.

The Old One

The Old One

Let me re-edit AlienĀ³
& Hire someone to fix
the composites, though.
;D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 14, 2019, 08:51:26 PM
lol AVP will never get a 4K Release.

If the format eventually becomes the standard versus a niche market, or if we ever get another AVP film or television series, I think there's definitely a 4K AVP release in our future.

The Old One

The Old One

It will become the standard, so it probably will-
but I reckon they won't invest the money to scan
the original negative, if it even still exists to scan.
Upscaled Blu-Ray, if anything.

locusta

Sorry for just stopping by to flame around, BUT that cover art is a pure insult! What idiot approved that? 40 freaking years anniversary and they use an half ass photoshopped picture of the SideShow legendary bust (was never movie accurate in the first place) and than add a wrong tail that is even poorly posed and totally out of proportion to the head? 

That shows how much they appreciate that franchise.

426Buddy

Hopefully they change it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed