Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019

Started by BonesawT101, Oct 14, 2017, 07:53:54 PM

Author
Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019 (Read 70,017 times)

Huggs

Release a new Blu-ray anthology that actually has clips for the discs and not those slipspaces that scratch them up. Cover it all in hallet's art and include a Blu-ray of the tongal shorts.

Whiskeybrewer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Old One

The Old One

According to FilmArena (Premium 4K Steelbook creator) the whole saga is coming...
in the next one or two years.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 04, 2019, 02:19:14 PM
According to FilmArena (Premium 4K Steelbook creator)]the whole saga is coming...
in the next one or two years.

So it's a definitely coming out, kind of, maybe, I don't know when, and if two years pass and it doesn't, no one will remember I said that, confirmation? 

;D

The Old One

The Old One

No, they're fairly reliable. Buddy-buddy with Fox.

Voodoo Magic

One or two years seems so noncommittal though. And I wonder if they heard that pre or post Disnox.

Corporal Hicks

Nukiemorph

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16291796&postcount=3164
I'm doubting the inclusion of the short films more and more.

The Old One

The Old One

Blu-Ray and 4K Space Jockey Comparison.

Voodoo Magic

The Old One

The Old One

Natural colour returns!

By all accounts the 4K is fantastic.
Apparently branching destroyed the "DC" though.

Voodoo Magic

I wonder if this will have the ol' maximum grain.

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 12, 2019, 07:41:41 PM
Grain was gone in the Anthology restoration iirc.

https://alien-archives.com/2019/04/12/alien-40th-anniversary-4k-uhd-review/

"Grain was gone" is not what super 4K enthusiasts would want to hear. They're all about the natural film grain, especially with older movies, arguing it will present the movie the way the director intended to be seen. DNR digital noise reduction is usually considered the most evil of evils. The 4K enthusiast demand for grain is so crazy, that sometimes studios add grain for texture in post to 4K new movies that didn't even use film in the first place, but rather were filmed digitally. Yep they create artificial grain exclusively for the 4K disc.

I've watched "Predator" and "Predator 2" in 4K and the grain was just too much for me in Predator, too distracting. But so many reviewers found the transfer to be exemplary. It's fascinating.

I digress.

Per the link you shared:

"With that said—there are flaws in this presentation. As with the 2010 Blu-ray, there has been some sort of unnecessary, digital grain management applied to the new 4K transfer, which occasionally results in some odd, potentially distracting abnormalities in the film's natural grain field. For the most part this is not very noticeable, and only the most sensitive or hawk-eyed viewers will notice it."

The Old One

The Old One

Predator 1987's grain is 100% the original negative and the reviewer majority is correct, it's fantastic.
It's DNR Blu-ray is garbage.

The 'grain-management' of Alien 4K is a lighter version of DNR.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed