The Alien being worshiped by a cult - Live Action

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Apr 29, 2020, 10:10:48 PM

Do you think the Alien being worshiped by a cult / religion would be great for a movie?

Yes
9 (23.1%)
No
0 (0%)
Depends on who is directing
0 (0%)
Depends on who is writing
3 (7.7%)
Both: options 3 & 4
25 (64.1%)
I don't care
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author
The Alien being worshiped by a cult - Live Action (Read 7,709 times)

Drukathi

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 06, 2020, 06:03:23 AM
The image below is a Prometheus concept art. I'm not a big fan of the design itself, but I dig the idea. I'd have preferred that there were no men and women in their kind, but androgynous beings instead.

Arcturians? Can they be associated with the Engineers? If they are not exterminated (at the moment of Aliens), then perhaps they are a more successful experiment than humans.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

TBH, haven't Xenos been worshipped like that before? Maybe not as an actual cult in films, but plenty of people have been in awe or worship of these things, like Dr. Jonathan Gediman from Alien: Resurrection and how The Dragon, while not exactly worshipped, was considered an 'eater of minds' by Golic, and in the Special Edition was released from its prison in the water tank by Golic due to the latter letting it out based on a delusion.

Hell, the Engineers/Jockeys had been making murals of Xenomorph/Black Goo derived aliens for years as well-Not to mention all the comics and games that have also tackled this subject. So I don't think it's impossible to do, just needs to be done WELL-which is in of itself a hurdle.

[cancerblack]

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

SpaceKase

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 06, 2020, 01:48:46 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 03, 2020, 08:50:54 PM

Yes.

Long live to your majesty!

Awwww damn, where did this one come from? That is Gorgeous.

Immortan Jonesy

Kradan

You're really good at it .

SpaceKase

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 06, 2020, 05:46:51 PM
Quote from: SpaceKase on Jun 06, 2020, 10:35:49 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 06, 2020, 01:48:46 AM

Awwww damn, where did this one come from? That is Gorgeous.

Photoshop pal.

D'aaawww, I shoulda known! Awesome blending and composition.

The Cruentus

I think it could work, but like any story or plot, it needs a good writing team and director.

The good thing about such a plot is that it takes the focus away from the whole evil corporation angle. I find fanatics can be a more dangerous adversary and one which doesn't require too much eye rolling at the whole bond villian stuff. Fantatics are irrational and delusional so dark behavior like sacrificing others and monologueing would not be so out there  for such mentally unstable people.

Also there is a few comics that shows just how much damage a cult can cause. In one case, an entire colony is wiped out and in another, they caused the infestation of earth

D. Compton Ambrose

An antagonistic corporation or nation-state would be more fitting with the core of the Alien saga, unless the cult were made up of androids and AI of course...

The Cruentus

Like I said, the whole evil corp thing has been done to death and it wasn't really good to begin with it just too over the top.
Alien and Aliens never had to deal with an evil corpation, the first film had Ash malfunctioning trying to reconcile conflicting orders, Aliens had Burke acting only.
It is only in the third film that company shows more presence and even then it is ambigious on whether they could save Ripley's life. Resurrection and ACM really took the cliche as the companies there were outright killing innocent people to breed the Alien.
Varies comics and novels show the same. The evil corp angle is old.

D. Compton Ambrose

I'm of the exact polar opposite opinion, especially considering I like Alien3 more than most Alien fans.

The Cruentus

Bar a few obvious problems, I enjoy Alien 3 as well. I think its a decent ending to Ripley's arc.

We have never really seen a Xenomorph cult in a live action movie, not including that brief flashback in AVP. So its a chance to explore a different path.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 17, 2020, 06:21:35 PM
Bar a few obvious problems, I enjoy Alien 3 as well. I think its a decent ending to Ripley's arc.

We have never really seen a Xenomorph cult in a live action movie, not including that brief flashback in AVP. So its a chance to explore a different path.

I think if you put a bunch of people in an isolated environment for too long crazy things can happen. As in Vincent Ward's Alien III.

I love the idea of ​​post apocalyptic religions, like the mutant humans from Planet of the Apes, who had survived the war with the apes and who worship a not-detonated nuclear missile as a Deity.

Here are more examples.

The Church of the Children of Atom:

Quote from: FALLOUT WIKIChildren of Atom (sometimes referred to as the Church of the Children of Atom or rad eaters by certain residents of Far Harbor) is a religious cult built around the worship of radiation and nuclear annihilation as vehicles of creation and life.

The Cult of the V8:

Quote from: THE MAD MAX WIKIThe Cult of the V8 is an automobile and engine based Wasteland religion of Immortan Joe's War Boys. It is featured in Mad Max: Fury Road.

The Cruentus

Yeah, there is so many interesting things that you can take with that concept, whether they are ignorant benign cult being manipulated by others into being hosts, or malevolent cultists who go around infecting others like in one of the alien comics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed