H R Giger's Alien Diaries

Started by wmmvrrvrrmm, Jun 26, 2013, 11:40:38 AM

Author
H R Giger's Alien Diaries (Read 16,460 times)

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

I wonder if the quality of the book is the same from the different publishers? I bought this last year. Maybe Barnes & Noble will have a copy on display so I can compare them.

windebieste

windebieste

The original pressing of this book is waaaay cool and is a must have for anyone interested in Giger's involvement in the film.  Judging by the images above, looks like the re-issued edition contains the same features as the original pressing.  The double page photo spreads have identical page numbers, which incidentally in the book are divided in half.  This is because the book is largely a facsimile of Gigers own diaries.  Not only is everything from both of his diaries present, but the slender dimensions of what you expect from a are adequately represented in this volume.

While being narrow as you would expect a diary to be, it is thick and weighty with all of Giger's notes present in his native language in handwritten notation.  This is a true facsimile of the man's actual written record of his involvment int he film and also contains an abundance of rare and previously unseen sketches and concept art.  Unless you can read Swiss, you won't be able to glean much from the written facsimile documents that are the bulk of the book's content but along with a Swiss translation, an English version is also present.  All this content means that 'ALIEN Diaries' possesses the dimensions of house brick, and almost weighs in as much as one.

It's a pricy book, sure, and the original wasn't any cheaper for me to purchase and have it shipped to Australia.  Damned expensive, actually.  Was it worth it?  Oh, Hell yeah!  At over 650+ pages, this sturdy an rigid hardcover tome features a cloth spine and a pair of ribbon bookmarks.  It's not the kind of thing I would have anticipated to be reprinted but I am glad that other people will get a chance to appreciate this item. 

It's a great book, and an absolutely essential item to anyone seriously interested in the first 'ALIEN' movie.  It more than adequately supplements other existing books like 'Giger's ALIEN' and complements that one in particular, filling in many, many details that were simply outside the scope of that book to accommodate.

This is one of those items you will look back on in years to come and say, "Yeah, it was expensive but I am so glad I have a copy now!" because it  will sell out and vendors will seek even higher prices in years to come on Ebay. 

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Is the English translation printed text? I'd hate to buy a book and not be able to read it.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 07, 2014, 08:13:11 AM
Is the English translation printed text? I'd hate to buy a book and not be able to read it.

It reproduces the diary and then provides a translation. You can read it no problem.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I forgot you'd got a copy. Is it worth picking up?

locusta

locusta

Bought is already one year ago and it is jewel! 

Especially it is funny to me as a German speaker, to dechifrer his hand written text.

It´s a must have for all fans, even though that it is a bit pricey. Well, it is an Art book.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 07, 2014, 02:23:09 PM
I forgot you'd got a copy. Is it worth picking up?

Absolutely. How much is it selling for?

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Here's some copies offered of the original printing on Amazon U.K.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/3905929457/ref=nosim/1557

and here is the "new" edition from the link on Darkness topic

http://www.s9shop.com/collections/books/products/h-r-giger-s-alien-diaries

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: locusta on Aug 07, 2014, 04:38:39 PM

Especially it is funny to me as a German speaker, to dechifrer his hand written text.

It´s a must have for all fans, even though that it is a bit pricey. Well, it is an Art book.

Did it inspire you to get back to work making awesome 3D models?

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Good stuff!Might be worth something now the author has passed on-not that I'd sell my copy.

David08

David08

one word: MASTERPIECE!!!! :)

locusta

locusta

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 07, 2014, 08:06:40 PM
Quote from: locusta on Aug 07, 2014, 04:38:39 PM

Did it inspire you to get back to work making awesome 3D models?

Gigers work and words always inspire. But for making something else or further, this one was not necessary. But.... :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed