[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 95,092 times)

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 23, 2021, 02:23:06 PM
In regards to its rating, while I'd love it to have an R rating, the quality of script, cast and direction takes precedent in my line of concerns. In the wise words of Yoda: Make a great film, gore does not. And I would assume the majority that prefer AvP over AvPR would probably tend to agree.

The Skulls general premise sounds like a good start to me though and a back to basics approach, but of course, we'll see how it all shakes out. 🤞

Well....could Deadpool succeed without the R rating that the character and his stories are known for? Taming them down would have taken alot of what the character is, a ranchy, violent, and very dorky/dizy mercenary with a heart of gold. It seems Ryan Reynolds, the writers, and even the fanbase believed so.

I mean, if the Predator wasn't allowed to have scenes where spines and skulls are ripped out or chests blown apart from plasma bolts, would it still be a Predator film that is true to its violent nature? Would Predator and Predator 2 still be memorable if it weren't for the shocking action and brutal nature of the Predator as it hunted our human characters and antagonists? Plus I don't think using AVP is a good example as while AVP is preferred over AVPR, its not saying much as the film itself is being compared to a sequel that is just objectively not executed well in many areas. Even with AVP itself, its not exactly one of objectively top quality either compared to Alien or Predator.

The script, cast, and direction of course needs to be there, but to tame the nature of the Predator isn't exactly something that many people will favor.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Mar 01, 2021, 04:14:14 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 23, 2021, 02:23:06 PM
In regards to its rating, while I'd love it to have an R rating, the quality of script, cast and direction takes precedent in my line of concerns. In the wise words of Yoda: Make a great film, gore does not. And I would assume the majority that prefer AvP over AvPR would probably tend to agree.

The Skulls general premise sounds like a good start to me though and a back to basics approach, but of course, we'll see how it all shakes out. 🤞

Well....could Deadpool succeed without the R rating that the character and his stories are known for? Taming them down would have taken alot of what the character is, a ranchy, violent, and very dorky/dizy mercenary with a heart of gold. It seems Ryan Reynolds, the writers, and even the fanbase believed so.

Well, I haven't read all of them, but I've read my fair share of Deadpool comics and they weren't as raunchy as that movie. You'd be more likely to spot a censored sign over his dialogue and watch him hit a villian with it.  :)

QuoteI mean, if the Predator wasn't allowed to have scenes where spines and skulls are ripped out or chests blown apart from plasma bolts, would it still be a Predator film that is true to its violent nature? Would Predator and Predator 2 still be memorable if it weren't for the shocking action and brutal nature of the Predator as it hunted our human characters and antagonists? Plus I don't think using AVP is a good example as while AVP is preferred over AVPR, its not saying much as the film itself is being compared to a sequel that is just objectively not executed well in many areas. Even with AVP itself, its not exactly one of objectively top quality either compared to Alien or Predator.

The script, cast, and direction of course needs to be there, but to tame the nature of the Predator isn't exactly something that many people will favor.

PG-13 AvP we still got violent kills. Even a chestburster. Just not much gore. Don't get me wrong, I want Skulls to be filled with gore too, very much so, but it is lower to me in priority under cast, script and direction.

I remember people being concerned over Terminator 3 possibly being rated PG-13, but that film ultimately rated as an R didn't fix things. Nor was Terminator Salvation PG-13 rating their problem in my opinion. So rating, while important to me, ranks lower on the totem pole.  :)

MudButt

I've been out of the loop on this but the premise is fresh and I'm glad they're gearing up to film this in summer. We might get a Fall/Winter release next year  8)

I'm confident they will make this rated R. I think Disney knows they would piss the fans off if they get accused of ''watering it down''. That's why they made Alien an FX on HULU series versus green lighting a 150 million PG-13 Alien movie.

While I definitely just want to see a bunch of bad ass commandos get picked off again, the franchise needs to evolve and do something different and this looks like a step in that direction. I'm excited to see casting announcements and some set photos  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: MudButt on Mar 04, 2021, 01:25:41 AM
I'm confident they will make this rated R. I think Disney knows they would piss the fans off if they get accused of ''watering it down''. That's why they made Alien an FX on HULU series versus green lighting a 150 million PG-13 Alien movie.

Hmm. Well, come to think of it, FX is a non premium traditional cable channel here in the U.S. with commercial interruptions. So there has to be some limitations on what they show on there, right? We actually may be getting a PG-13 Alien series here, or one with content of a soft R.

Nightmare Asylum

I belive the Alien series is part of "FX on Hulu" rather than regular FX. So it is a streaming series debuting on Hulu, but retaining the FX branding.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2021, 02:41:34 PM
I belive the Alien series is part of "FX on Hulu" rather than regular FX. So it is a streaming series debuting on Hulu, but retaining the FX branding.

But that isn't what FX on Hulu has been though...

QuoteFX on HULU

The new streaming home of FX Networks

Watch FX on Hulu Exclusives like Devs, Mrs. America, A Teacher and The Old Man. Stream the Latest Seasons of current and new FX Original Series, after they air on FX and FXX.

Now you can enjoy Past Seasons of acclaimed and award-winning shows including American Horror Story, Archer, Atlanta, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, What We Do in the Shadows, Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Fosse/Verdon and The Shield.
https://www.fxnetworks.com/fx-on-hulu

Nightmare Asylum

Hmmm. Intetesting, I was under the impression that FX on Hulu was straight up streaming.

I did watch Devs (excellent sci-fi series from Alex Garland) last year on Hulu, which is apparently part of that FX on Hulu program, and that one felt very R-rated to me. Nothing about it seemed censored or reigned in.

Voodoo Magic

Well that's hopeful. I'm not familiar with that show, but did you think it went far beyond modern broadcast limits in any of the categories that might apply, i.e. language, violence, sex, gore?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Language, absolutely, and what violence was there was pretty shocking from what I remember, though it wasn't a constant focus (a lot of the show was much more introspective, but also dripping in what some would consider a very technological horror) - but even cable can do grisly violence these days. No explicit sex scenes/nudity (though there was a fair amount of sex, we didn't see every inch of the participants' bodies), but then, the Alien movies never had any real nudity until Covenant.

Thematically, though, it was very "adult" science-fiction and the tone certainly reflected that.

Voodoo Magic

Fingers crossed then!

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2021, 03:06:19 PM
No explicit sex scenes/nudity, but then, the Alien movies never had any real nudity until Covenant.

That nipple surgical tape comes in handy!  :laugh:

MudButt

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 04, 2021, 02:06:45 PM

Hmm. Well, come to think of it, FX is a non premium traditional cable channel here in the U.S. with commercial interruptions. So there has to be some limitations on what they show on there, right? We actually may be getting a PG-13 Alien series here, or one with content of a soft R.

They make shows for FX and shows for FX on Hulu. Also, FX really pushes the limit on what can be done on TV. Some of their shows are as violent as an R Rated film.

Nightmare Asylum

I need to get caught up in Hawley's Fargo. I loved season one, but haven't seen beyond that.

MudButt

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2021, 11:20:38 PM
I need to get caught up in Hawley's Fargo. I loved season one, but haven't seen beyond that.

Season 2 is perfect. Season 3 is awesome. Unfortunately I didn't get into season 4, may try again though.

FX has a solid track record. I'm pumped for their line up this year. I imagine we'll be seeing Alien late next year, they're trying to get content out for FX on Hulu ASAP.

So we might be seeing Skulls and an Alien show within a few months of each other. See.. I brought us back on topic  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: MudButt on Mar 04, 2021, 10:59:45 PM

They make shows for FX and shows for FX on Hulu. Also, FX really pushes the limit on what can be done on TV. Some of their shows are as violent as an R Rated film.

I'm not certain what you're saying here though. Hulu is a streaming platform for FX shows. Even the FX shows like The Shield that aired before the streaming deal, now streams on Hulu. But since the FX on Hulu deal agreement, shows will still stream on Hulu after they air on FX broadcast television first.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 05, 2021, 01:20:23 AM
Quote from: MudButt on Mar 04, 2021, 10:59:45 PM

I'm not certain what you're saying here though. Hulu is a streaming platform for FX shows. Even the FX shows like The Shield that aired before the streaming deal, now streams on Hulu. But since the FX on Hulu deal agreement, shows will still stream on Hulu after they air on FX broadcast television first.

FX exclusively produced 4 shows for Hulu under the FX on Hulu brand. A Teacher, Mrs. America, Devs, & The Old Man (coming later this year). They were developed for the linear FX channel but became Hulu exclusives.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/fx-hulu-disney-mrs-america-american-horror-story-1203397601/

Im not 100% sure if Alien will be FX proper or exclusively produced for Hulu by FX but there is a difference from what I understand.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed