The Official SKULL or NO SKULL Thread

Started by FiorinaFury161, Feb 18, 2017, 11:38:01 PM

Do you like the skull in the Alien head?

Love the SKULL
It's ok
It makes no difference on how I feel about the Alien
Dislike the SKULL
Hate The SKULL
Hate The SKULL and the people who love it
Author
The Official SKULL or NO SKULL Thread (Read 133,764 times)

City Hunter Yautja

#Team No Skulls when it comes to Xenos.

As a Pred always skulls. ;)

[cancerblack]

Feed me more skull

NecronomIV

Definitely love the skull with the empty eye-sockets. The skull is a powerful and evocative symbol, and features heavily in Giger's artwork.

But I think where it's really important is highlighted by that old quote from O'Bannon:

QuoteCobb's monsters all looked like they could come out of a zoo --- Giger's looked like something out of a bad dream.

It's the detail, sometimes barely visible, that hammers home the nightmarish quality of the design and appearance.

I don't mind them losing it for the other films -- because ALIEN was a nightmare and a horror film and it works so well for thematically -- and the other films treated it more like a dangerous, predatory animal and so it becomes an element that would actually be at odds.

I like the artwork above. Very scratchy, like Clive Barker's art.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 16, 2022, 11:17:25 AMDefinitely love the skull with the empty eye-sockets. The skull is a powerful and evocative symbol, and features heavily in Giger's artwork.

But I think where it's really important is highlighted by that old quote from O'Bannon:

QuoteCobb's monsters all looked like they could come out of a zoo --- Giger's looked like something out of a bad dream.

It's the detail, sometimes barely visible, that hammers home the nightmarish quality of the design and appearance.

I don't mind them losing it for the other films -- because ALIEN was a nightmare and a horror film and it works so well for thematically -- and the other films treated it more like a dangerous, predatory animal and so it becomes an element that would actually be at odds.

I like the artwork above. Very scratchy, like Clive Barker's art.

Good post. The artist is Spaghetti/Abelardo.

Although I try for a similar vibe myself:

Spoiler
[close]

NecronomIV

Love that.

Prometheus Redux #20 -- does that mean there are 19 more? Where?!!

[cancerblack]

Maybe I should make an archive thread in the fan art section.

Cocolyte

Best part of the skull is you can only see it sometimes

BlueMarsalis79

I like it best when you can barely see it, but it is present.

Local Trouble

I like it best when it's not there at all.

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 15, 2022, 06:37:02 PMI like it best when it's not there at all.

You love the skull :P

Stitch

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 15, 2022, 02:59:22 PMI like it best when you can barely see it, but it is present.
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 15, 2022, 06:37:02 PMI like it best when it's not there at all.
Could we combine the two? It can be there, but not visible at all. Ever.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Stitch on Aug 15, 2022, 08:30:22 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 15, 2022, 02:59:22 PMI like it best when you can barely see it, but it is present.

I'll still know it's there and I can't live with that. >:(

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 15, 2022, 08:43:27 PM

My Aliens will have domes covering their skills.

But the domes will have skulls at the front.

Double skull.

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 15, 2022, 08:43:27 PM

My Aliens will have domes covering their skills.

But the domes will have skulls at the front.

Double skull.
Oh no. Oh no no no no no.

No double skull. No skull at all is best. But definitely not double skull.

SiL

SiL

I can put another at the back, there's room.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed