Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps - A Cooperative Board Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2018, 08:13:35 AM

Author
Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps - A Cooperative Board Game (Read 35,911 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Dingbat on Nov 22, 2020, 08:42:30 PM
Well that should be perfect then, just 4mm more won't make much of a difference.

Posted an example of how my 28mm MDF terrain looks with Prodos figures, in the THB thread.

Corporal Hicks

[cancerblack]

Eager to hear from the FB modelling lads just how plastic the "plastic" Aliens are.

razeak

I got mine 2 days ago. It looks good. The models appear very plasticy, but I'm not up to speed on the positives and negatives of that for miniatures.  My Assets package was shipped wrapped in paper instead of the actual box.

[cancerblack]

What I meant by that was whether they're hard plastic (like say, a warhammer figure) or softer plastic (like the majority of boardgames use).

Dingbat

You can buy the miniatures seperately! I gotta get a box of boxes!

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Dingbat on Dec 30, 2020, 05:11:14 PM
You can buy the miniatures seperately! I gotta get a box of boxes!

Yup:

https://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?categoryid=13823&Country=NZ

While the core mechanics of the game do seem interesting, I think I can probably find a PDF online and just lift a few odds and ends for homebrew games. But sign me up for a few boxes of the plastic warriors and accessories.

Still torn on the humans, since recreating the movies isn't something I really care to do.

But I'll never touch that queen. It's gross, and not in the good way.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Just got an order of minis from the postie: 12 alien warriors, a queen and the accessories set. I didn't bother with any humans because they're out of scale with my largely 28mm collection and I kinda like the aliens towering over all the 'human' minis rather than being almost the same height.

They're honestly way better than expected. The images on the GF9 website don't do them justice. There's some seriously crisp, fine detail on par with Prodos' old resin minis on the warriors and assets & hazards set while the queen is slightly softer, more on par with early 00s Warhammer plastics but still acceptable. The plastic is hard plastic, possibly a little harder than Warhammer stuff which is nice because I heard the marines were really soft. Also, the prices on these kits is shockingly good compared to most minis in this scale. Even more shocking when you remember these are licensed products. You even get a bunch of spare heads which can make good conversion fodder/pred trophies.

My only complaints are: The warriors' feet are integrated into their bases and the queen has a derpy face. The warrior bases have nice detail and stuff but I was hoping to use bases that match the rest of my collection and that might be challenging.

As for the queen, it was kinda hard to tell from the pics online but something looked off about her facesculpt. I've got her in hand now and the issue is clear: She has a MASSIVE underbite for some reason. Her lower jaw sticks out very noticeably further than the upper. Also her inner jaw looks kinda... Wonky, idk. Not too much of an issue for me tho, I'll just trim away the bits I don't like and re-sculpt it more in-line with the rest. Otherwise, the queen kit is actually really nice. Good detail, proportions, etc.

Shame they only seem to have the license for Aliens and not AvP as a wider franchise because the quality of the Alien kits at least is insane for the price. Would love to see some more EU characters/castes, not to mention Predators done to this standard.

EDIT: Just noticed the sprues say where the kits were manufactured. The warriors and assets & hazards are manufactured in Poland while the Queen was done in the UK. Hmmm...

Prodos is based in Poland iirc. And the warriors are almost identical in size and design to their AvP warriors, while the assets & hazards look almost identical to some stuff Prodos put out. Is GF9 subcontracting some of their production to Prodos?

[cancerblack]

Yes, the Warriors are pretty much the plastic Warriors Prodos intended to release, before the license fell through (if anything changed, it's just the bases). Prodos/Archon are still the ones producing them for GF9.

They're actually the same sculpt as the Prodos AvP/ADI-inspired resin figures, just with the files reassembled into a plastic frame.

Eighty-Five

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 17, 2021, 12:32:09 AM
Yes, the Warriors are pretty much the plastic Warriors Prodos intended to release, before the license fell through (if anything changed, it's just the bases). Prodos/Archon are still the ones producing them for GF9.

They're actually the same sculpt as the Prodos AvP/ADI-inspired resin figures, just with the files reassembled into a plastic frame.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I will say tho, they're a weird hybrid of movie designs. The heads are pretty much movie-accurate to Aliens rather than the derpy Requiem ones, with the finned forearms too. Their legs are also more humanoid than the AvP/Resurrection 'raptor' legs. Really the main AvP influences are the extra-long tails with the 'sails' near the tip and the fleshy, muscular-looking shoulders of later designs. I'll probably trim down the shoulders and sculpt some more biomech detailing on, since the shoulders are one of the things that detracted most from the biomechanical look for me haha.

That's just a personal preference for me tho, nice to see Prodos' hard work hasn't entirely vanished. It's a shame they didnt get Prodos to do the Queen too because she's definitely a much more basic sculpt by comparison, but I won't complain too much. She's in scale, very cheap and I can just sculpt/convert the bits I wanna change.

[cancerblack]

The ribs, bellies and pelvis are very ADI, although not completely faithful. The heads are odd, since they're textured more like the ones in Aliens, but taper off rather than ending in a phallic tip (compare and contrast with the Prodos Alternate Warriors).

Also worth noting, they only have digitigrade legs in A:R, they go back to plantigrade in the versus movies.

Eighty-Five

Yeah, you're right. I haven't actually watched the crossover movies in years. Don't even own them anymore.

Agreed there are more subtle differences in the torsos and hips compared to the more OG designs, but at this scale and with a consistent paint scheme, it won't notice. Thanks for pointing out the heads tho, I would eventually have noticed it myself and if that happened after painting I'd have to bang my head against something hard  :laugh:

Guess my GF9 boys need some head & shoulders work Also, tailsail trimming.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 17, 2021, 12:32:09 AM
Prodos/Archon are still the ones producing them for GF9.

Are they really? I hadn't realised that!

Eighty-Five

Yeah they definitely seem to be. The quality of the plastics is insanely good. Even Games Workshop struggles to get detail so fine and sharp on their kits and they're the biggest miniatures manufacturer on Earth.

Somebody at Prodos must have made some kind of Faustian bargain somewhere down the line.

Dachande

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 17, 2021, 11:49:21 AM
Yeah they definitely seem to be. The quality of the plastics is insanely good. Even Games Workshop struggles to get detail so fine and sharp on their kits and they're the biggest miniatures manufacturer on Earth.

Somebody at Prodos must have made some kind of Faustian bargain somewhere down the line.

I think the smaller companies do better as they aren't having to produce as huge an amount as GW does. If you want to see some great miniatures, look up Awaken Realms, and the board games they do. Some of the absolute best mini's about. Nemesis in particular for the Alien vibes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed