Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,790 times)

kliq316

kliq316

That's terrible - if should either be Hicks or not at all. Part of the appeal of the concept art was that it's a direct continuation from Aliens. Replacing Michael Biehn with someone else is just as insulting as killing him off-screen in Alien 3.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 12, 2015, 08:20:23 AMThey're starting to put their presence out there for this:

It's a 'they're' 'their' 'there' trifecta! Exceedingly rare online. You, sir, have won the internet for today! :D

Also, cool photo, though I personally don't need any Hicks in my Alien 5.

Corporal Hicks

Haha I saw you'd highlighted them then and I was like "oh...no...I didn't did I?" Thought I'd got them all wrong then. xD

HuDaFuK

Quote from: kliq316 on Feb 12, 2015, 01:18:28 PMReplacing Michael Biehn with someone else is just as insulting as killing him off-screen in Alien 3.

And on the other hand, we have an old man fighting Aliens.

I don't want either scenario. Just leave him be.

BonesawT101

I personally don't mind If they Ignore Alien 3 and Alien resurrection. Most people tend to ignore these two anyway. Im a big fan of Alien 3, but If the latest film chooses to ignore it, it doesn't mean that 3 and 4 are going to disappear. I can still go back and watch fury 161 get torn apart if and when I choose, and Resurrection will still give me nightmares (albeit for different reasons entirely) I Honestly think that at the moment ignoring everything but Alien and Aliens is the best way to go.

However It seems like that may be an unlikely option. Blomkamp is a talented guy, and he is such a massive fan of the series I just can't see him deciding to ignore the third and fourth entries. It also seems that lately Fox have been putting alot of emphasis into creating an all encompassing canon with the series. Releasing a movie that completely deviates from that canon wouldn't make financial sense.

Samus007

Quote from: BonesawT101 on Feb 12, 2015, 02:36:43 PM
I personally don't mind If they Ignore Alien 3 and Alien resurrection. Most people tend to ignore these two anyway. Im a big fan of Alien 3, but If the latest film chooses to ignore it, it doesn't mean that 3 and 4 are going to disappear. I can still go back and watch fury 161 get torn apart if and when I choose, and Resurrection will still give me nightmares (albeit for different reasons entirely) I Honestly think that at the moment ignoring everything but Alien and Aliens is the best way to go.

However It seems like that may be an unlikely option. Blomkamp is a talented guy, and he is such a massive fan of the series I just can't see him deciding to ignore the third and fourth entries. It also seems that lately Fox have been putting alot of emphasis into creating an all encompassing canon with the series. Releasing a movie that completely deviates from that canon wouldn't make financial sense.

Agreed.

Russ

Just a point on future finance and box-sets/marketing etc. The steel-box of the Superman movies has 1,2,3,4 and Returns (amongst loads of other stuff) - so I don't think that will enter into anyone's thinking as a reason not to retcon A3 and A:R.

Of the stuff I'm reading here, I still haven't seen a better retcon reason than the Nightmare. Ripley 8 now older and a robot or cloned Hicks? Not sure that works for me to be honest, it seems more tenuous than the nightmare idea. BUt that's only my view, i have to say.

GadgetHunter

I have always wondered why the sequel to Aliens didn't simply have someone go back to the original alien ship that crashed on LV426. (It would have been a long way away from the settlers so would not have been destroyed by the nuclear reactor explosion.)

Going to explore the ship and space jockey in such a story would have been a much more interesting approach than that used in Prometheus.
Surely an alien spaceship would have provided much more useful research opportunities than the cloned Ripley in Aliens Resurrection or real Ripley and queen of Aliens 3. 

Russ

Nebraska is 77,358 square miles according to Wiki...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 12, 2015, 07:35:29 AM
Just make a stand alone alien movie. Stand alone people, leave the 4 movies out of it.

Strongly agree with this, and I would like to see it have no connection with the previous movies whatsoever except for the obvious one which is of course the Alien itself. It needs to be a stand alone which should also be treated as a spin-off, assuming there are sequels which connect with this stand-alone.

Russ

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 12, 2015, 03:36:32 PM

Strongly agree with this, and I would like to see it have no connection with the previous movies whatsoever except for the obvious one which is of course the Alien itself. It needs to be a stand alone which should also be treated as a spin-off, assuming there are sequels which connect with this stand-alone.

But it's unlikely you will see that - NB's already talking to Weaver, so it's pretty much nailed on she'd be in it (as she's strongly hinted and as has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, having a connecting-Ripley moment is the mandate), she's in the concept art (as is Hicks)... It could be a jumping off point for new movies featuring "Jordan" (surely no longer Newt) and possibly Amy (if Burke was lying)?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Russ on Feb 12, 2015, 03:46:11 PM
But it's unlikely you will see that - NB's already talking to Weaver, so it's pretty much nailed on she'd be in it (as she's strongly hinted and as has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, having a connecting-Ripley moment is the mandate), she's in the concept art (as is Hicks)... It could be a jumping off point for new movies featuring "Jordan" (surely no longer Newt) and possibly Amy (if Burke was lying)?

You'll have to excuse me using a Ninja Turtle as an emoticon but there is no emote on the board which has the reaction I have towards your post, which is a crushing feeling of acknowledged defeat. Why? Because it's true.

marrerom

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 12, 2015, 08:20:23 AM

They're starting to put their presence out there for this:

Tom Woodruff in Hicks' make-up. At the end of the day, their designs were the result of the directors wants/needs. They've made good Aliens - the Runner. In AR, it was within the context of the film that the designs be mutated. It's just descended into the AvPs using the old suits for cost saving.

Isn't Blomkamp pretty involved with WETA now-a-days? Considering how good his movies look, I wouldn't put it past them to have a gorgeous CGI Alien. I'd love to see the kind of slinking out of vents from Alien Isolation.

I realize that ADI's recent work on the series (AvPR) wasn't all their fault.  The directors had terrible ideas after all but still, those Aliens looked and acted like shit.  Specifically, the Predalien was a huge misstep and looked like they glued predator pieces onto an alien suit.  It could have been so much better. And the Aliens...well enough has been said about those.

Its all rather moot though because Neil Blomkamp works solely with Weta, or he has so far at least.   

T Dog

So Weaver says "It's not that so much is that we just left it at such a creepy place, sort of stranded above Earth. I was quite happy to move onto other things and I didn't want to go to Earth."

What I find interesting about that is she is implying it would continue on with Ripley 8.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 12, 2015, 04:06:38 PMSpecifically, the Predalien was a huge misstep and looked like they glued predator pieces onto an alien suit.

You realise that's basically exactly what they did?

They had a design, but supposedly some kid saw it and said "cool Alien!" and they freaked that it wasn't Predator enough. So they bodged it at the last minute.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed