Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 148,560 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 11, 2015, 05:58:23 PM
But as for their age,... I mean, if they can do it with Han and Leia, they can do it with Ripley and Hicks.

Siggy is still in very good shape. From her latest film, Chappie:

judge death

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 11, 2015, 07:08:46 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 11, 2015, 05:58:23 PM
But as for their age,... I mean, if they can do it with Han and Leia, they can do it with Ripley and Hicks.

Siggy is still in very good shape. From her latest film, Chappie:

Damn, she looked old in alien resurrection but here she looks younger somehow O_o

marrerom

But is it just me or is anyone else feeling a little bit of franchise/fandom burn out with all the revisionist things they're doing with the franchises? I mean sure they've started over with the EU and all but the films? Well.. I don't know. I mean I liked Blomkamp's District 9 but that was the only movie of his which I've seen. And like Darkness, I think this pitch works fine as fanfiction.

And considering that Fox wanted to retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection.. well, if Blomkamp agrees to do the movie then there is a good chance this will give them the perfect excuse. I'm not sure if I agree with a retcon like this assuming this project sees the light of day and becomes a film and that's also under the assumption it retcons Alien 3 and Resurrection like the last season of Dallas or Roseanne.

I seriously doubt that all this retcon talk is warranted.  Alien 3 and resurrection are not going anywhere, they are as integral to the mythos as the first two films. And as far as starting over with the Eu...that stuff never mattered in the first place.

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 11, 2015, 08:06:43 PM

But is it just me or is anyone else feeling a little bit of franchise/fandom burn out with all the revisionist things they're doing with the franchises? I mean sure they've started over with the EU and all but the films? Well.. I don't know. I mean I liked Blomkamp's District 9 but that was the only movie of his which I've seen. And like Darkness, I think this pitch works fine as fanfiction.

And considering that Fox wanted to retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection.. well, if Blomkamp agrees to do the movie then there is a good chance this will give them the perfect excuse. I'm not sure if I agree with a retcon like this assuming this project sees the light of day and becomes a film and that's also under the assumption it retcons Alien 3 and Resurrection like the last season of Dallas or Roseanne.

I seriously doubt that all this retcon talk is warranted.  Alien 3 and resurrection are not going anywhere, they are as integral to the mythos as the first two films. And as far as starting over with the Eu...that stuff never mattered in the first place.

Ultimately none of it matters unless the powers that be want it to. It has happened before and will continue to happen with other franchises, and there is nothing stopping Fox from doing something similar with the Alien franchise in the hopes of elevating it to current franchise standards.

Intrepid-Traveler

Why is everyone whining about the alien 3 retcon? Aside from Alien fans, the movie is generally disliked (considered boring/slow) by most of the general public.

They don't NEED to retcon it, but if it happens, its not the worst thing that could happen. Even James Cameron said he wanted to do something similar if he had made the sequel.

Mr. Clemens

If this film does get made, you can bet that Fox will want to sell us a new ALIEN collection on blu-ray. And that's gonna contain five films (maybe six if they include Prometheus), not three.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 11, 2015, 09:08:45 PMIf this film does get made, you can bet that Fox will want to sell us a new ALIEN collection on blu-ray. And that's gonna contain five films (maybe six if they include Prometheus), not three.

We've already have the five film Alien + Prometheus set.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 11, 2015, 09:15:10 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 11, 2015, 09:08:45 PMIf this film does get made, you can bet that Fox will want to sell us a new ALIEN collection on blu-ray. And that's gonna contain five films (maybe six if they include Prometheus), not three.

We've already have the five film Alien + Prometheus set.

I'm talking about a box of Alien I-V, with the possible inclusion of Prometheus. But it certainly won't be a boxed set of Alien, Aliens, and Blomkamp's Alien V.

PRJ_since1990

I, for one, did like Alien 3. However, I know that there were stronger stories, particularly the Earth Hive series IMO. If they retcon'ed A3 out of existence, I wouldn't be bothered. However, I would prefer the story to take place between Aliens and Alien 3. Preferably they wake up mid-sleep and whatever events take place take place. The only trouble is Newt... what to do with her... 

Vrastal

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Feb 11, 2015, 10:26:38 PM
I, for one, did like Alien 3. However, I know that there were stronger stories, particularly the Earth Hive series IMO. If they retcon'ed A3 out of existence, I wouldn't be bothered. However, I would prefer the story to take place between Aliens and Alien 3. Preferably they wake up mid-sleep and whatever events take place take place. The only trouble is Newt... what to do with her...

Anything that takes place between alien and alien3 cant be done with the original actors without some something stupid like it being a dream. the actors are too old, and you dont age in hypersleep.  WIth regards to newt she would have to be recasted in any way shape or form. and after the fiasco that was Aliens CM i doubt beihn would sign on for any alien related projects again.

The only way i would want to see alien 3 and 4 retconned would be if they followed earth hive. which they wont do, but it works better as fan fic anyways. that being said i dont want to see any retconning being done

So what we need is just new people and new settings. no one stepping on anyones previous work. Ripley and hicks are gone. If they HAD to have ripley return i wouldnt want her being the star, if anything i would just want her referenced or something  like isolation had recordings.

Nightmare Asylum

ACM isn't going to stop Biehn from doing this if he wants to do it. I'm sure that game was nothing more than a paycheck for him.

Jurkass

Jurkass

I'm interested to see what Neill could do with an Alien movie, so here's hoping it will happen. I would rather they stay with the current canon though, the concept was cool and all but not sure how it would work in a movie.

marrerom

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 11, 2015, 09:08:45 PM
If this film does get made, you can bet that Fox will want to sell us a new ALIEN collection on blu-ray. And that's gonna contain five films (maybe six if they include Prometheus), not three.

This right here is spot on.  The biggest assurance that Alien 3 and Resurrection wont be retconned is that fox would lose revenue. 

RakaiThwei

Saw a TV spot for Chappie! Well then.. I suppose after opening weekend, we should hear something!

razeak

Meh, if Fox did retcon out A3 and A:R, I don't for one second think they wouldn't just put an quick bit of text stating those two movies were in a separate universe or something along those lines and still make a huge box set, which I will still buy again.

I'm not a fan of the retcon, because as much as I think the deaths of Hicks and Newt were handled very poorly, it's still a good movie. I think they should just move on.

Now as far as being concerned about them disrespecting A3 and the people that worked on it? Nada. That production disrespected itself repeatedly and it's a miracle we got the film we did.

If a retcon happens, I won't be happy about that particular, but I don't doubt for a second I won't have a big smile on my face if Hicks and Ripley are on screen. In this day and age and with personal trainers, CGI and makeup, Biehn and Weaver are clearly capable of pulling it off. It wouldn't hurt to go to pass the torch, or just leave them dead either.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed