Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,814 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Darkness on Feb 11, 2015, 11:39:55 AM
Is his story supposed to retcon Alien 3 altogether?

Indeed. The only way I can see it working would be if, like Russ says, it's all a dream or like HuDa says, it follows on from Colonial Marines. Neither of which are satisfying methods IMHO.

Thomas

........ ok for some reason my post didnt show up so let me try again while logged in....... ???

How about a movie from the point of view of Weyland Yutani where we could find out how they originaly came into the knowledge of this bio-weapon. Let us see them succed and then watch it all fall to pieces and then they have to fight to survive an alien outbreak.......

Russ

Quote from: Thomas on Feb 11, 2015, 12:38:51 PM
........ ok for some reason my post didnt show up so let me try again while logged in....... ???

How about a movie from the point of view of Weyland Yutani where we could find out how they originaly came into the knowledge of this bio-weapon. Let us see them succed and then watch it all fall to pieces and then they have to fight to survive an alien outbreak.......

I'm not sure that works for NB film (if we're to believe Hicks and Ripley are prominent), but its a great idea for a novel or comic.

Darkness

It never really occurred to me why Hicks was there. I can't see fans or even Fox willing to retcon two movies if this is supposed to be Alien 5. Though I like the guy's ideas as purely fan fiction.

Corporal Hicks

If they think it'll make money. And other series' have done this before to appease fans. Wouldn't put it past them.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Russ on Feb 11, 2015, 10:46:28 AM
Just found this on Den of Geek

""Fox, they would make it," Blomkamp said. "Like, tomorrow. They would make it."

So if Blomkamp has the concept, and Fox like it, what's the hold up? The sticking point, it seems, is that Blomkamp isn't sure whether he wants to direct another movie or not.

"I just wasn't sure if I was going to do another film, like, at all," Blomkamp revealed. "Sometimes Hollywood just sort of gets to me. I love movies, but Hollywood itself is a difficult animal to negotiate. So, then I was like, if I don't do any, I should put some of this artwork out and that's exactly what happened."

While we don't know exactly what happened on the set of Chappie, it sounds as though the experience of making it - and dealing with the Hollywood machine for his previous movie, Elysium - has taken its toll on Blomkamp. But if he does change his mind, then it could be that his Alien concept could become is next film."

Yeah, there's a lot of politics involved here.

Blomkamp had a serious fallout with Fox during the Halo film fiasco. To be precise, he had a serious fallout with Tom Rothman, Fox's previous CEO and co-chairman.

Tom Rothman has since left Fox and is now Chairman of TriStar which is owned by Sony Pictures. Bad news for Blomkamp because all three of his previous films were financed by Sony Pictures & MRC and distributed by TriStar.

So it seems likely that his relationship with Sony might now be coming to an end and that he is now courting the new regime at Fox.

Russ

Thanks for that context, Eighth P: I didn't know any of that, and it explains a lot!

Darkness

Video Interview with Sigourney Weaver on ComingSoon about the artwork: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/408665-exclusive-might-we-see-the-return-of-ripley-in-a-neill-blomkamp-aliens-movie

QuoteThat brings us to Weaver, who we spoke shortly afterwards, and we asked if she knew about how she inspired Blomkamp to start developing an Aliens project on his own. "He kept sending me these brilliant designs and ideas and everything. We'll see what happens," she told us.

We asked if there was more to Ripley she was interested in exploring. "It's not that so much is that we just left it at such a creepy place, sort of stranded above Earth. I was quite happy to move onto other things and I didn't want to go to Earth. I didn't want to manufacture a sequel and I felt like we were starting to do that. If something happens from this, it would be very organic and very original, and because of that, it would make me want to do it. If it was someone as talented as Neill, I'd certainly listen."

Russ

I have a strong feeling that momentum is gathering -- it feels too real to be a publicity stunt to get people interested in "Chappie". That said, if "Chappie" flops and/or sucks balls, then NB's stock will fall accordingly, which may also put AL III EN on ice.

kliq316

kliq316

I don't think Weaver and Biehn are too old to star. It's how they structure the story really - I don't think that they should be the main roles, they should be supported by a group of younger stars (one of which should obviously be Newt). Obviously it's approaching it from the same perspective as the new Star Wars films (when factoring in the original cast).

JPredator

not sure how i feel about this.

i really like neill blomkamp's style and district 9 was great. Was not a fan of Elysium tho and in my opinion he still has much to prove as a director.

Still his concept art is interesting and i like the idea of bringing some new blood to the Alien franchise and exploring new ideas.

in regards to wether or not this will be a new ALien 3. i cant think of anything worse then saying ALien 3 and 4 were hypersleep dreams. this idea is silly. i think the best thing they can do is just say this is an alternate alien 3 and leave it at that. a 'what if' ripley and co took a different path story. no other explanation is needed. personally i would prefer this then continuing alien 4's story.

to disregard Alien 3 completly would be a slap in the face to people who genuinly enjoy that film. although nothing would make me happier then to completly remove alien 4 from existance...that film has its fans too.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: kliq316 on Feb 11, 2015, 01:56:01 PMI don't think Weaver and Biehn are too old to star. It's how they structure the story really - I don't think that they should be the main roles, they should be supported by a group of younger stars.
But if you're gonna do that, you might as well drop Ripley and Hicks altogether and have a new film with new characters, thereby avoiding any conflict with the older films.

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 11, 2015, 02:57:33 PM

But if you're gonna do that, you might as well drop Ripley and Hicks altogether and have a new film with new characters, thereby avoiding any conflict with the older films.

Which they won't do as NB's concept is clearly designed around them and Fox's mandate seems to be "if it's Xeno, it has to have Ripley."

Alien³

Replace Ripley and Hicks with new characters and I'll be game.

hfeldhaus

If it removes Alien 3 then there's no chance I'm going to be behind it. It would be disrespectful to the film, the people who made and the people who like it. It was a satisfying end to Ripley. Question is, is this film really needed? I don't see the point unless it's a continuation of Ripley 8's story. No retconning please.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed