Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 149,101 times)

Russ

Sure, but that's not the point of the thread - its discussing Blomkamp's ideas, right? Clearly, he wanted to retcon it. For me the question is "how?" What was his idea? For me - especially now, given the Prometheus thing, the "Nightmare" scenario is plausible in that universe.

When you Alien3 did well in Europe, are you talking box-office or critical/fan acclaim. If the former, that's not relevant, if the latter, I'd be hugely surprised if the theatrical cut was widely hailed as a brilliant movie, but I stand to be corrected on that.

To be clear - no, they don't need to bring Hicks back, but these drawings clearly indicate that was Blomkamp's plan. For me, as I've said, hand waving the character in the way that they did is as bad the "nightmare" scenario. Worse, in fact - I think my example of Superman above works for this. If the "nightmare" is cheap, "...and then they all died" is even cheaper.

Essentially, Alien3 (Assembly) is a good movie. It was just the wrong movie - even if I've never really understood how the facehugger got on the Sullaco in the first place. It's been discussed to death on here, of course, but we're postulating reasons. Indeed, the facehugger was a deus ex, come to think of it - in terms of the script, I mean. In the film, Ripley destroys the egg chamber, the queen rips her egg sac off... how come there's a facehugger crawling around?

but that's wildly off topic.

As I say - good movie but the wrong one for the franchise at the time. I would guess that is the feelings of the majority of fans, if not all of them.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Jan 08, 2015, 12:30:50 PMWhen you Alien3 did well in Europe, are you talking box-office or critical/fan acclaim. If the former, that's not relevant, if the latter, I'd be hugely surprised if the theatrical cut was widely hailed as a brilliant movie, but I stand to be corrected on that.

I never claimed people in Europe hailed it as a brilliant movie, just that it was far more accepted than it was in the States.

Quote from: Russ on Jan 08, 2015, 12:30:50 PMTo be clear - no, they don't need to bring Hicks back, but these drawings clearly indicate that was Blomkamp's plan. For me, as I've said, hand waving the character in the way that they did is as bad the "nightmare" scenario. Worse, in fact - I think my example of Superman above works for this. If the "nightmare" is cheap, "...and then they all died" is even cheaper.

"...And then they all died" might be cheap, but it's at least believable and in keeping with the generally dark tone of the franchise. The dream idea neither of those things.

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 08, 2015, 12:37:34 PM

"...And then they all died" might be cheap, but it's at least believable and in keeping with the generally dark tone of the franchise. The dream idea neither of those things.

I can't agree with that. Especially now, after Prometheus. And for it to be believable, we have also believe that a facehugger miraculously got onto the ship in the first place. As I've said again and again - yes it works in terms of tone, but that's about all it does. The story was flawed from the get go - to address it (as was Blomkamp's intent) you have to retcon it.

Addressing it is the issue: I wonder if they would (and if they did, I can't think of a better way to explain it) or if they would adopt the Superman Returns approach and go public with "3 and 4 were shit. They didn't didn't happen" in the media before hand.

But its a moot point - the 'verse is as it is thanks to a square-peg threequel and a "hilarious black comedy" fourquel: these ideas of his will not see the light of day, unfortunately.

But something will turn up, I'm sure. It's still franchise gold if they can get it right.

SiL

All you have to address to "fix" it is how the egg got where it got. That there's a hugger on the ship isn't even a problem. The egg is.

"What we see in the opening of Alien3 is partially a fever dream of Ripley's". No need to re-write the movie for literally one seconds-long shot that makes problems.

Russ

I'm sorry, SiL - I genuinely don't understand what you're getting at here.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Eggs don't have legs.

Corporal Hicks

Just cut that clip of the egg, insert some footage of a face-hugger crawling over the Queen instead and boom done. Let's send Charles a message to fix that for the next holographic edition of the films.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

We wouldn't even need additional footage of the facehugger.  The audience is smart enough to assume that it hitched a ride on the sly.

An egg, on the other hand, requires far more rationalization than that.

Quote from: Russ on Jan 08, 2015, 12:54:44 PMAddressing it is the issue: I wonder if they would (and if they did, I can't think of a better way to explain it) or if they would adopt the Superman Returns approach and go public with "3 and 4 were shit. They didn't didn't happen" in the media before hand.

The ultimate "f**k you" to 3 and 4 would be a what you just described, but directed by David Fincher (who now has enough industry cred to do it his way).

Vrastal

A few possible explinations i can see for the egg showing up is.

A warrior came on board some how (least likely)

Bishop brought it on board

Someone else was on the ship the entire time (most likely android). and brought an egg.

or Weyland yutani found an egg brought ti to the ship put it up and left it (also extremely unlikely if not impossible)

Quarax

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2015, 03:10:55 PM
Just cut that clip of the egg, insert some footage of a face-hugger crawling over the Queen instead and boom done. Let's send Charles a message to fix that for the next holographic edition of the films.

The Queen that was ejected into space? :)

Mr. Clemens

Hmm. Maybe we need a clarification: standard alien eggs need to gestate inside that egg-sac for a while, but the queen can drop super-facehugger eggs at the drop of a hat in times of distress or desperation.

Naw, that sucks.  :D

Local Trouble

I always thought Mary Louise-Parker would make an excellent Ripley.

Kel G 426

What if they cut the Sulaco scenes altogether?  Just open with Clemens walking on the beach and finding Ripley.

Russ

Right. Got it. *Duh*

But this fixes the "miraculous" facehugger of A3, but it doesn't help Blomkamp's retcon. I brought up the facehugger because HuDa postulates that "Ripley's Nightmare" is daft. It probably is, but A3 relies on the facehugger and handwaves Hicks away ("oh, and everyone's dead, by the way") which is equally not satisfying.

"Ripley's Nightmare" is the only way I can think they would have explained things - unless, as I say above, they came out did a "Superman Returns" - which, in this universe, I can't see happening. But again, it'll probably never see the light of day.

That said, there's still stuff popping up on my facebook feed about it.

Russ

She looks the part, but was born in 1964 - so there's not much longevity there. Which, whilst utterly reprehensible and disgusting is the reality.

I was at a meeting once and suggested an actress for a role and nearly fell off my chair when the producer said that she was "too old." She was a fairly big name too and only 38. I say only, but the film business is definitely ageist. I should add at this stage that I'm not a casting agent or anything like that, I say it only to illustrate the point!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed