Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,820 times)

BlazinBlueReview

Quote from: viendammage on Jan 03, 2015, 02:18:52 AM
Quote from: Son Of Kane on Jan 02, 2015, 07:44:12 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 02, 2015, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMExactly, anyone who enjoyed X-Men Days of Future Past can attest to that as it essentially rebooted the series while taking it in a new direction.

Except time travel fits in with a silly comic book film. A serious Alien universe, it does not.

Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMNobody complained much when Prof X came back w no explanation of his death/return.

Speak for yourself, crap like that annoys the hell out of me. It's like they're saying, "Screw it, the audience are idiots, we don't need to explain it, they'll just accept it."

Only there totally is an explanation for Prof.X's return. It's at the end of X-Men: 3 TSL

You'll have to remind me, his consciousness is in another body then what?

Spoiler
Yep, he transferred his consciousness into a different body (more specifically it's the one that was seen with Dr. Moira via the monitor for the class that he was teaching his students about the brain, if i recall correctly. the novelization went into a little more detail with it explaining that the body of the man was actually Xavier's brother that he had caused to be brain dead during their childhood together.)
[close]

viendammage

viendammage

Quote from: steelio2006 on Jan 03, 2015, 02:31:37 AM
Quote from: viendammage on Jan 03, 2015, 02:18:52 AM
Quote from: Son Of Kane on Jan 02, 2015, 07:44:12 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 02, 2015, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMExactly, anyone who enjoyed X-Men Days of Future Past can attest to that as it essentially rebooted the series while taking it in a new direction.

Except time travel fits in with a silly comic book film. A serious Alien universe, it does not.

Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMNobody complained much when Prof X came back w no explanation of his death/return.

Speak for yourself, crap like that annoys the hell out of me. It's like they're saying, "Screw it, the audience are idiots, we don't need to explain it, they'll just accept it."

Only there totally is an explanation for Prof.X's return. It's at the end of X-Men: 3 TSL

You'll have to remind me, his consciousness is in another body then what?

Spoiler
Yep, he transferred his consciousness into a different body (more specifically it's the one that was seen with Dr. Moira via the monitor for the class that he was teaching his students about the brain, if i recall correctly. the novelization went into a little more detail with it explaining that the body of the man was actually Xavier's brother that he had caused to be brain dead during their childhood together.)
[close]

So a twin brother that was never mentioned over several movies and over 10 years, why would he be in a wheelchair as well?  I mean if audiences can overlook that bit of convenience I'm sure they won't mind a sequel following Aliens. Having Weaver would be half the equation and Hicks didn't die in Aliens so they didn't write themselves totally in a corner a la Highlander where he wins the prize, becomes mortal and then becomes an Alien in the sequel to explain 2nd Gathering...They could literally do a montage to start like they did in Incredible Hulk when Norton took over to fill in the audience.

T Dog

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 02, 2015, 07:56:37 PM
If that March 2014 date is correct, this lines up well with what James Moore said on the subject; namely, that Fox was interested in Alien 5 and that they were toying with the idea of getting rid of Alien 3, hence living, scarred Hicks.

I wonder if the project is still alive in any capacity with someone else attached?

Just listened to the two interviews he did with this site. Very interesting stuff. Seems like Fox is building up to something big behind the scenes for Alien. I'm hoping a shared story between Prometheus (Shaw/David), Alien (Ripley 8) and maybe another cast of characters?

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

After reading through a little more than half this thread I feel as if the characters of Ripley and Hicks need to be let go. A:CM can easily be slapped out of canon by a film. Tons more people will see a film than know the story of a terrible game and it's DLC.

Hicks and Ripley were great characters and thats why they should rest in peace.

Ripley 8 will be easy to explain dying. She is a f**kin clone. Her SEVEN predecessors were all f**ked up in unimaginable ways. It would be extremely easy to simply say she had a lifespan of a few weeks. Easy done.

New characters are what we need. LV-426 should not be returned to either if you ask me.

If I made ALIEN V, I'd simply have another ship similar to the Auriga trying to track down Xenomorphs or the Engineer Jockeys and ending up finding a Engineer's ship and it pretty much realizing they are in WAY over their head now that they're confronted with a more pure, undamaged strain of the Xenomorph species which would give the film team more room for redesigning a monster that would make Giger proud and also stay true to what we all know as the Xenomorph.

LastSurvivor92

Please Neil, Get on board with Sigourney and present this to FOX. Please! Why did you ever greenlight Prometheus for God's sake. Ridley lost his magic touch after bladerunner.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Chronicle on Jan 03, 2015, 06:01:25 AM
Why did you ever greenlight Prometheus for God's sake. Ridley lost his magic touch after bladerunner.

I'd like to hear from your opinion just what was exactly wrong with Prometheus?

I liked the film at first but my opinion on it is starting to change..

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 03, 2015, 07:43:57 AM
Quote from: Chronicle on Jan 03, 2015, 06:01:25 AM
Why did you ever greenlight Prometheus for God's sake. Ridley lost his magic touch after bladerunner.

I'd like to hear from your opinion just what was exactly wrong with Prometheus?

I liked the film at first but my opinion on it is starting to change..

I liked the film dude. This just looks way better than anything Prometheus offered. Its not that I don't like it. I've come to respect it overtime. But come'on dude. Look at the concept art. I'd screw the future of Prometheus for an Alien 5 anyday by Neill Blomkamp

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Chronicle on Jan 03, 2015, 07:46:36 AM
I liked the film dude. This just looks way better than anything Prometheus offered. Its not that I don't like it. I've come to respect it overtime. But come'on dude. Look at the concept art. I'd screw the future of Prometheus for an Alien 5 anyday by Neill Blomkamp

You'll have to forgive me but from the way your post came off, I had assumed you didn't like the movie.

Thanks for clearing that up, I suppose.

Russ

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 02, 2015, 07:35:18 PM

Russ, I have to say that I am genuinely flattered that you like my whole AU approach to things. I really think that there are some AU's going on within the franchises similarly to how the Godzilla, Halloween and Highlander franchises have that going on, even if such aren't mentioned in-universe. Really, it does my heart good to see another fan accepting of that.

Why? It's a great theory and the only one that really makes any sense at the end of the day. You made a believer out of me, man.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 02, 2015, 07:35:18 PM
As I said before, the franchise is SUFFERING because of the retcons. A retcon in film format would perhaps not be the best idea because erasing Alien 3 and Resurrection out of canon would... really be hard. Those two films can't just be hand waved away, they can't be just ignored (sure they could but.. ignoring something DOESN'T make it go away). The whole "Ripley's Nightmare",  while a desperate fan solution to erasing those movie is seemingly wanted even after TWENTY THREE YEARS, is definitely a cop-out and perhaps a bad move and direction for a franchise to go.

No more retcons. I'm getting done with them.

I'm not sure I agree. It would be silly, but not hard. Hyperspace bad dreams can explain away AL III EN and A:R could then be hand-waved.

I keep pointing out the Superman Returns example - whatever you think of the film, it's a bona-fide hand-wave and we bought it. Because III and IV were (even their devoted followers will admit) are irredeemably bad, the first in terms of tone, the second in terms of quality.

I think the issue here is that of longevity and stickablity - things are transient, will this still be a story outside of this forum next week. If the idea starts gaining traction, maybe it'll get some consideration, but as you pointed out before, man - it's highly unlikely.

Unless Weaver comes out and puts her support into it, I guess? Then there'd be a talking point for a while. I wonder if Blomkamp even has a treatment for this or if these are just doodlings (albeit doodlings of epic quality and scale).

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Russ on Jan 03, 2015, 08:22:20 AM
Why? It's a great theory and the only one that really makes any sense at the end of the day. You made a believer out of me, man.

I am flattered because you are maybe one of few people who have accepted the theory. I remember the multiverse thread I made in the Alien-Predator general discussion forum and there was a good discussion held. So far you're the only one who had accepted it, at least on this forum community anyway. I wish more people would be as accepting. I mean so far no one's answered why there shouldn't a multiverse, and if it has to be just one universe, why just one canon and not more than one?

But I digress, and that is a discussion for a whole other thread. I had attempted to write a project regarding that but I lost incentive and steam but wrote up on what the idea entailed in a look back post. I'd have to link that look back to you sometime. But I'd love for Fox to come out and officially say there are Alien-Predator AU's, or at the least.. alternative continuities. Of course the latter doesn't need an official statement, as there are multiple franchises that have them. I could name a few.

I keep pointing out the Superman Returns example - whatever you think of the film, it's a bona-fide hand-wave and we bought it. Because III and IV were (even their devoted followers will admit) are irredeemably bad, the first in terms of tone, the second in terms of quality.

The events of Superman III and Superman IV could still exist within the Donnerverse. According to the DC Database Wiki, it's a part of the DC Multiverse and knowing how a multiverse exist.. Superman Returns more or less could exist in another universe where the events of the first two Superman movies occurred, but two and three never really happened. I mean considering how the DC Multiverse goes through Crisis after Crisis, where universes are shattered, patched worked together, or divergent.. Those two movies could still exist. But there is simply one argument which makes it hard, but not impossible for them to do so..

Namely the fact that Bryan Singer had said that Superman Returns REPLACES Superman III and Superman IV. However considering the fact that the source material, namely the comics themselves often do have events which affect the multiverse where the main canon does intersect with material that is considered apocrypha or.. "Elseworlds". So theoretically, Superman III and Superman IV could perhaps exist as another "Elseworlds." Just some food for thought..

But I am getting off topic.

I'm not sure I agree. It would be silly, but not hard. Hyperspace bad dreams can explain away AL III EN and A:R could then be hand-waved.

Which brings us back to "Ripley's Nightmare" and I believe someone had mentioned why this isn't the route to go. I believe it was SM but I could be wrong as memory is not the best thing to go off of. But "Ripley's Nightmare", while an easy explanation to retcon and hand wave the events of Alien 3 and Resurrection as nothing more than a bad dream-- is still a cop out. Also it seems like it would Fox giving into fan pressure as well. And as someone had said, Ripley's story has been told, Hicks needs to be left alone (Aliens: Colonial Marines sloppily retconned his death) and they need to do something else if there is going to be a new Alien story. Leave the Ripley family alone.

I think the issue here is that of longevity and stickablity - things are transient, will this still be a story outside of this forum next week. If the idea starts gaining traction, maybe it'll get some consideration, but as you pointed out before, man - it's highly unlikely.

There is some buzz going on about it.. Yahoo News has covered this topic already. So far it remains highly unlikely for this to happen.. But stranger things have happened. Shit... PREDATORS happened after being kept twenty years in a vault, presumed to never see the light of day. Although that movie just makes me feel bitter.. But while it's highly unlikely, I wouldn't say it's impossible. I suppose things depend on how Prometheus 2 does.. whether it makes or breaks, then Fox can decide what to do.

The Shuriken

That xenomorph biosuit Ripley art is kinda weird. I wonder what the idea is behind it.

OWLF

OWLF

RakaiThwei

Alright, I'll bite. When were these taken?

OWLF

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 03, 2015, 11:10:57 AM
Alright, I'll bite. When were these taken?

The top pic is from the Aliens Exposed event in Calgary,Ontario. April 24th,2014. 

The second pic is from Neill BlomkampĀ“s Instagram account.  ;D

Xenoscream

This is trending on Facebook now.. lets see if the power of social media can get it going.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed