Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,662 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Liberator on Jan 02, 2015, 12:05:08 PM
People have stopped treating the alien like he is really scary and astonishing
Counterpoint: "Alien Isolation"

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Blacklabel and I called it!  :laugh:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=1943854;topic=50800.30

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 23, 2014, 12:16:11 PM
...Neill Blomkamp would basically do Aliens 2.0
He worked with Weaver recently... i wonder if her talks about "the story not being finished" and "there are good young directors out there" are related to them working together. Neill is a geek and would probably try to pitch something to Weaver at least.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 23, 2014, 12:46:52 PM

Maybe... it looks like they got along quite well. Neill also posted some images of his Aliens figure collection on his instagram page recently - maybe he's hinting at something - maybe it's just random.

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y347/TheEighthPassenger/tumblr_mzqpjzwlcK1s8ln08o1_500_zps2318e973.jpg

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 02, 2015, 06:44:47 AM
Looks more like something Blomkamp was going to pitch to Fox rather than something that Fox was actively seeking to make, according to the tweet I posted in that thread.

Yeah, pretty much. For his Elysium pitch he basically created an entire graphic novel which he pitched to Sony. It was impressive enough to convince the studio execs to green-light the film.

Probably the same was happening here except that he got bored with the idea or saw that it was going nowhere. Needless to say, now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak it probably means it's not going to happen. Petitions aren't going to make one iota of difference.

Also interesting that he would still consider dealing with Fox since there is a lot of bad blood left from the Halo film fiasco. Although his main beef was with Tom Rothman who is no-longer the Fox CEO and co-chair.

First Blood

Not a fan of the Xenomorph "suit"

viendammage

Quote from: Russ on Jan 02, 2015, 10:47:35 AM

On the other hand, is it fair to judge Blomkamp on this one misstep? I recall that Neil Marshall got similar stick when he was given a big budget and made "Doomsday" that film got loads of hate (and if you are a "Doomsday" hater I WILL fight you *lol*) but that doesn't make Marshall a bad storyteller or director.

I like Marshall but found Doomsday to be a big rip off of movies we all love.  Centurian was awesome.  Didn't love AvP when it first came out but it's grown on me.  Anderson has a few enjoyable flicks on his resume.

Russ

Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 02:54:52 PM
I like Marshall but found Doomsday to be a big rip off of movies we all love.

Homage! There's even a Baseball Fury in the crowd during the Barbecue scene. He was talking on one of those internet interview things (I wish I could remember, its quite a famous one on the level of Superpower Beatdown... you'll have heard of it if I could remember. Damn!) where he mentions at the end that it is a remake of Escape from New York. Look, I know it's obvious that it is, but the director has confirmed it.

Also, the commentary (which gets a bit annoying because it's all his mates getting drunk with him in a studio) he touches on all this stuff and says that its completely deliberate, he loves EFNY, Mad Max and all those films and if he was making that sort of 80s dystopian sci-fi, why not put them in there.

</threadDeraliment>

Nightmare Asylum

Finally got to give the pics a look on a regular sized screen. I still don't think I care for the Alien head thing, and for whatever reason the Queen looks a bit out of place, but I absolutely love the architecture, the technology, and the image with the Derelict.

With Ripley and Hicks in the pics it's seemingly trying to be an alternate Alien 3, but I'm getting stronger Resurrection vibes with the contained aliens, experiments, etc.

I'm not all that bothered that this film isn't happening, but I continue to be extremely intrigued by what I'm seeing. I want to read more details, see more images. I'm just curious about what it would have been.

viendammage

Quote from: Russ on Jan 02, 2015, 11:03:04 AM
HuDa. You just gotta let A:CM go, man.  :laugh:

Moviegoers and fans alike aren't above "a great deletion." Remember Superman Returns: they came out said directly that it was following on from Superman II and that the Reeves III and IV were missteps and were not part of the continuity and everyone bought it (though I love the film, its almost as though Singer was a little afraid to deliver on that and just making it an out and out sequel).

Also, its often said that the "get around" is some sort of weird Hyperspace induced hallucination (I just learned that I can't spell hallucination while typing this message).

Exactly, anyone who enjoyed X-Men Days of Future Past can attest to that as it essentially rebooted the series while taking it in a new direction.   Nobody complained much when Prof X came back w no explanation of his death/return.  It's been long enough that you could make it a sequel to Aliens and jettison 3 and Resurrection.  The general audience won't notice.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMExactly, anyone who enjoyed X-Men Days of Future Past can attest to that as it essentially rebooted the series while taking it in a new direction.

Except time travel fits in with a silly comic book film. A serious Alien universe, it does not.

Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMNobody complained much when Prof X came back w no explanation of his death/return.

Speak for yourself, crap like that annoys the hell out of me. It's like they're saying, "Screw it, the audience are idiots, we don't need to explain it, they'll just accept it."

viendammage

viendammage

Quote from: Russ on Jan 02, 2015, 03:01:11 PM
Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 02:54:52 PM
I like Marshall but found Doomsday to be a big rip off of movies we all love.

Homage! There's even a Baseball Fury in the crowd during the Barbecue scene. He was talking on one of those internet interview things (I wish I could remember, its quite a famous one on the level of Superpower Beatdown... you'll have heard of it if I could remember. Damn!) where he mentions at the end that it is a remake of Escape from New York. Look, I know it's obvious that it is, but the director has confirmed it.

Also, the commentary (which gets a bit annoying because it's all his mates getting drunk with him in a studio) he touches on all this stuff and says that its completely deliberate, he loves EFNY, Mad Max and all those films and if he was making that sort of 80s dystopian sci-fi, why not put them in there.

</threadDeraliment>

I guess I like my homages a little less direct ha ha, I mean a reference, a visual cue, cool.  But Doomsday just seemed like a hodgepodge of it all while not putting a new spin on it?  It was more frustrating in AvP 2 where the entire story was just lifted from other Alien and Predator movies but executed poorly and with annoying characters.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 02, 2015, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMExactly, anyone who enjoyed X-Men Days of Future Past can attest to that as it essentially rebooted the series while taking it in a new direction.

Except time travel fits in with a silly comic book film. A serious Alien universe, it does not.

Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMNobody complained much when Prof X came back w no explanation of his death/return.

Speak for yourself, crap like that annoys the hell out of me. It's like they're saying, "Screw it, the audience are idiots, we don't need to explain it, they'll just accept it."

That's what I' saying, the casual filmgoer didn't cause a ruckus and it was a huge critical and commercial success.  As a comic and film fan the X series had been a mess since the first film but they sustained and grew so I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. I mean I could shoot holes in Guardians of the Galaxy all day but people had fun and overlooked all whereas they nitpicked Interstellar because it had a more serious approach and was insanely judged as a documentary.

With 7 movies, countless comics, video games etc in the Alien franchise over 40 years, the filmmakers will not be constrained by any kind of continuity, they'll just try to make the best and most commercial product they can.  That's just the business.  So I say Hicks Lives!

T Dog

I would love for him to make an Alien 5. He knows how to build science fiction worlds that feel real and contain interesting characters.

If this is true and really is concept art he commissioned then I wonder is this being put out there as a sort of social media experiment/pitch to see what sort of reaction comes from the fan base or/and as a means to pitch the idea officially to the studio.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: tmjhur on Jan 02, 2015, 05:02:21 PM
If this is true and really is concept art he commissioned then I wonder is this being put out there as a sort of social media experiment/pitch to see what sort of reaction comes from the fan base or/and as a means to pitch the idea officially to the studio.

I doubt it. He only posted this stuff because he isn't planning on making the film. And he doesn't really strike me as a guy to play games with the audience like that to get a "reaction."

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I would love for him to make an Alien 5. He knows how to build science fiction worlds that feel real and contain interesting characters.

It's for real no doubt about it. For Elysium he commissioned tons of concept (or rather pitch) art which he then presented to the studio execs in order to get funding for his film. The artwork wasn't made public until after the film's release though.

The same might be the case here especially considering a recent tweet from him that said, "They [FOX] didn't really even know I was working on it ha".
That statement however could also imply that FOX was in fact aware that Neill was cooking up something, they just didn't know the details.

The fact that he has now made these images public would likely suggest that this project has been canned either by Neill himself (for whatever reason/s) or that he did in fact make the pitch to FOX but that they weren't biting.

T Dog

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 02, 2015, 05:22:47 PM

It's for real no doubt about it. For Elysium he commissioned tons of concept (or rather pitch) art which he then presented to the studio execs in order to get funding for his film. The artwork wasn't made public until after the film's release though.

The same might be the case here especially considering a recent tweet from him that said, "They [FOX] didn't really even know I was working on it ha".
That statement however could also imply that FOX was in fact aware that Neill was cooking up something, they just didn't know the details.

The fact that he has now made these images public would likely suggest that this project has been canned either by Neill himself (for whatever reason/s) or that he did in fact make the pitch to FOX but that they weren't biting.

Blomkamp even told one Instagram commenter, "Fox never said no."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed