StudioADI Appreciation Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Oct 21, 2021, 11:06:46 PM

Author
StudioADI Appreciation Thread (Read 11,999 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

For Wolf I feel like the design ideas came from Scarface Predator.

Speaking of it implements that ADI 2004 style design well:

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 23, 2021, 09:12:45 PM
For Wolf I feel like the design ideas came from Scarface Predator.

Speaking of it implements that ADI 2004 style design well:

I believe one of the Strause brothers said Wolf was inspired by Broken Tusk from the old AvP comics, but I see what you mean about the ADI style design.

BigDaddyJohn

I actually love Wolf's overall design. I adore his mask, my favourite with City Hunter's.

I quite like Celtic's mask.

The AVP Queen was really great also.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 23, 2021, 09:00:15 PM
I like how they double-downed on "ugly motherf**ker" aspect with Wolf. Like, JH looks nasty already but Wolf's face looks absolutely disgusting. As old, more seasoned Predator should. In my headcanon the older Predator gets, the uglier he looks

Oh, and I like Wolf's gigantic mandibles. I mean, they're HUGE ! That was litterally the only thing I could think about when I saw him for the first time

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1637579663201049004/A97E1BB9238B0617FBB111C4CE90FB346DC63F7E/

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 23, 2021, 08:59:16 PM
I actually very unpopularly love their take on the Queen, and the BTS video of that one in particular's amazing.

I don't think it's such an unpopular take actually. Their Preds get more heat in generall. And yeah, Queen looks glorious in AvP 2004. Watching her rise from her ice tomb is almost like religious experience to me

https://youtu.be/zgq5hfJCziA

I'll second that with Predators getting ugly as they age. I can't imagine the lifestyle leads to a lot of pretty faces. Even in the first AVP the Ancient looks like he's seen a fair bit compared to how Scar looks.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 21, 2021, 11:34:01 PM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 21, 2021, 11:19:03 PM
I quite like their suited Predators. I think if nothing else their armour designs are pretty consistently great.

The bulky look in AvP definitely fit the comic book vibe Anderson was aiming for and I thought Wolf's more streamlined look was a solid return to form.

While I'm not particularly fond of the design, Scar is a very well realised creature effect with a frankly impressive performance range. The exact performance could've been better - the "oh shit" face was a bit much - but that's a reflection of Anderson's direction, not the mask itself.

The fact the thing could go from neutral to full scowl to "oh shit" all in the one effect is a much bigger achievement than people give it credit for.

Pretty much this, especially what I've put in bold text.

Thrice agreed. The designs themselves was never my issue at all.  Everything except the mandibles had always look superb. The broken mandibles is pretty much my only grievance with ADI's work.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

I like their actual designs for the predators concerning armor, weapons, etc. Given my forum name, I'm sure you can see which weapon of ADI's was my favorite. Honestly, I don't know why so many dislike it.

Corporal Hicks

Let's respect the thread title and intent here, and leave it at the elements you appreciate.

Sol

Sol

Conceptually, they are all fine. In fact, they still work with some of the original designers who worked on the original films, including Steve Wang. Wang helped design one of my favorite Predators, Wolf.

Quotehttps://www.instagram.com/p/BUdkJwJgjDA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I long for some kind of material that shows how Wolf looked before the acid damage.

SuperiorIronman

I find it kind of odd that wasn't a tie-in. Especially with how popular Wolf is that we just didn't get any tie-in beyond the PSP game. Yeah the mask is in AVP 2010 but I mean focusing specifically on 2004 Wolf. Like if Rebellion couldn't know what AVP-R was about it seems like an obvious idea to have done some sort of prequel showing how he got the scar, or even a Darkhorse comic.

I remember at the time it was a detail the community really took to (especially that it was and still is the most noticeable scaring in the series). Like that's clear prequel material to me and then nothing ever happened. Which is kind of funny since it wasn't even a script thing. It just looked cool in concept art and they ran with it. Which I guess is credit where credit is due to ADI as that's such a simple detail that people loved.

Sol

Sol

It was probably due to R's overall reception. Maybe ideas and concepts were done up. Maybe we can ask ADI one day about that.

The Cruentus

ADI are great folk and get way too much flak, most of the work they do is at the behest of the head honchos. That being said, what is created is usually good, especially if you go by the context of the movie i.e the mutated drones in Resurrection suit that film just fine because in that movie they are mutated, but the suits don't work well in the avp movie though, painting them black and altering the neck did little to cover the lack of biomech details.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 27, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
ADI are great folk and get way too much flak, most of the work they do is at the behest of the head honchos. That being said, what is created is usually good, especially if you go by the context of the movie i.e the mutated drones in Resurrection suit that film just fine because in that movie they are mutated, but the suits don't work well in the avp movie though, painting them black and altering the neck did little to cover the lack of biomech details.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2021, 01:06:06 PM
Let's respect the thread title and intent here, and leave it at the elements you appreciate.

The Cruentus

? I did appreciate them.....

Sol

Sol

You would think there was at least one image/model/render/drawing of Wolf without facial damage. Never could find one. Perhaps if there was an image that was dead center looking at his face, I could simply hop in PS and mirror the non-damaged side.

On another note, I always found the Elder Predators' interpretations being very different on film, very interesting. Like how AVP Elder had much longer locks (similar to the younger warriors depicted in the film). Both Elders had the blued/grayed lock patterns, but that's where they start to vary more. The faces look very different with how each studio depicted their age. I wonder which one is older. The AVP Elder perhaps?

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 28, 2021, 01:31:38 PM
? I did appreciate them.....

Yeah really not seeing the issue with your original post.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed