DEFINING CANON IN AN ALIEN WORLD(From RPG Writer & Franchise Consultant D Gaska)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 13, 2020, 08:58:12 AM

Author
DEFINING CANON IN AN ALIEN WORLD(From RPG Writer & Franchise Consultant D Gaska) (Read 18,556 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 13, 2020, 07:09:10 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 13, 2020, 12:35:50 PM
I'm surprised the comics are held in such high regard. Titles like Defiance, Resistance and Rescue with W-Y having facilities to experiment on Aliens kind of nullifies Aliens and Alien 3 does it not?
Alien Resurrection nullifies those two movies, too.

But Resurrection explicitly makes it known that the USM were unable to come by Aliens from any other source and that obtaining a sample from Ripley was the only option that they knew of.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 13, 2020, 07:14:59 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 13, 2020, 07:09:10 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 13, 2020, 12:35:50 PM
I'm surprised the comics are held in such high regard. Titles like Defiance, Resistance and Rescue with W-Y having facilities to experiment on Aliens kind of nullifies Aliens and Alien 3 does it not?
Alien Resurrection nullifies those two movies, too.

But Resurrection explicitly makes it known that the USM were unable to come by Aliens from any other source and that obtaining a sample from Ripley was the only option that they knew of.
It still nullifies Ripley's sacrifice by not only bringing back Aliens, but literally making Ripley the mechanism for doing so.

SiL

That's not the same thing at all.

Xenomrph

Local Trouble

Samhain13

windebieste

I saw this article yesterday and thought. Yeah, this is about right.

Gonna sit back and watch the fireworks display on this one.

Gaska is 100% on the ball though. This is more or less how the property works.

-Windebieste.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 13, 2020, 10:13:19 PM
Canon war just finds a way.
The war has already ended :)

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 13, 2020, 09:27:46 PM
How so
AR builds from Ripley's sacrifice, it doesn't retroactively change information.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2020, 10:29:07 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 13, 2020, 09:27:46 PM
How so
AR builds from Ripley's sacrifice, it doesn't retroactively change information.
How are the other things retroactively changing information?

SiL

This was outlined already.

Xenomrph

I'll have to take your word for it

SiL

You had replied to the post itself my dude.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

So I saw this and I am elated to know that there are three separate continuities for the Alien, Predator AVP franchises.

However, I did have one question as he had said that each series doesn't really connect one another-- at least canonically. Naturally, I didn't really agree with this as some media even refers to the events from one franchise or another, treating them as having historically happened. For example, we know in AVP 2010 that the events of Hadley's Hope were mentioned by Tequila and that Ripley was also referenced in Karl Bishop Weyland's audio tapes. So, I asked Gaska about it. In other words, did the events of ALIENS happen in the AVP universe if a character mentioned it in dialogue?

This is the answer...

So alternate versions of Predator, Predator 2, Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 have happened in the AVP Universe but certain things are different... Wonder what those small differences are. Aftermath events perhaps?  :-\

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2020, 11:01:09 PM
You had replied to the post itself my dude.
I feel like there's some misunderstanding on my part, I'm having trouble connecting the dots here. I apologize, it's been a long day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed