Fan Reviews

Started by RazorSlash, Feb 28, 2013, 07:52:40 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 27,141 times)

EmptyVector

EmptyVector

I got the game to run on low detail on my samsung galaxy tab 10.1, I synced my PS3 controller to my device and have been playing i on a controller. Not perfect but still an enjoyable game. I just wished I could run it on higher graphic settings.

Predboy

Predboy

Wow this has really surprised me. I knew from what I read that the game would have problems but holy hell this damn thing is so broken I cant even get past the f*cking load screen without it crashing on me. I can't even say how the game is at all because it wont even let me play it, jesus christ. :P

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Interesting, but frustrating.

Playing it on an iPad (the 'new' version, which was released between versions 2 and 3) and, thankfully, haven't encountered any moments which break it.

There is a definite lack of spatial awareness, though. Even if you set the camera to automatically turn with you, it doesn't do so immediately. You have to move a certain distance before it starts to move, which forces you to use the hand which should be comfortably rested in position to operate the strike/jump commands, to manually swivel and elevate the camera. Hectic when you're up against more than one target!

Finding out how to deal with enemies carrying shields, where you're told to do a 'heavy attack', is also quite confusing. You're not informed what a 'heavy attack' is classed at and a jump doesn't seem to have any more of an effect than a normal strike does. I tried just sort of randomly pressing hurried combinations of strike and jump and... Something appeared to successfully dislodge the shield, but I'm not sure what it was.

Entire thing looks/plays a lot like Monolith's entry to the AVP games, except completely in third-person. Which, honestly, would be perfectly fine, were it not for the frustration of the camera! You just can't get the degree of control available on mouse/keyboard. The movement is achieved by a virtual stick on the left-hand side and you find your thumb kind of just slipping off the screen when you need to make the character move for an extended period of time, forcing you to 'restart' the movement. In itself, not necessarily bad, but it's causing me to keep getting killed on a level which effectively forces it to change to an almost 2D side-scroller, where you're trying to move the Alien across an expanse of ground, navigating crates, while a dropship's firing at you. In a PC game? Easy enough. Maybe even would've been fun, but it's difficult to do this on the movement system they've set up with any real intuition.

Having said that, it feels kind of fun. Certainly not a waste of money for something this cheap!

A word of warning, though: During moments where you get the option to affect a kill animation of your choice? You have the option to choose an arrow-labelled direction and there's no indication which one you 'should' do, meaning that, sometimes, you'll try one and the enemy who's in your grasp will somehow find the strength to block or force you away. No explanation of what the deciding factor is when this happens.

Have definitely got the impression that if they had released it cheaply for PC, it'd be a lot more casual and entertaining. It's primarily the medium of how they've set it up to play through a mobile device, which makes it more frustrating than intended.

predxeno

predxeno

I think a heavy attack is to hold A; you have to do it 3x to break the shield.  Also, you can turn the camera just by swiping the screen.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RidgeTop on Feb 28, 2013, 09:12:11 PM
Put together this review for the site, check it out here.

Good review. Really enjoyed that.

Plan on picking up the game for my Galaxy Note later tonight.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Angry Mob replied to my e-mail and gave me a solution, that happened to work. It still tends to crash during loading screens, but I can atleast play the levels now.

Will re-do my review later.

EDIT: Review still stands. While I was able to successfully load the first two missions, the third mission now does the same thing the first used to do. Turned my iPod on and off twice and tried loading it around 20-25 times. It gets about halfway, and then just crashes. So, again. Unless you have an iPad or the newest iPhone, don't buy this. It isn't meant to run on any other device, and it shows. I'll have to pick up the rumored Vita version if the Vita ever supports the engine.

Facehugger and Chestburster were...neat, I guess. Never got to play as the adult Xenomorph, unless you count the intro stage. Which I don't, really.

Predboy

Predboy

Yeah it's the same thing here. The first two missions were able to play but once I got to the third one it just keeps on crashing at the load screen. I honestly can't believe that a game that's this broken would get released on the iPod touches.

What's the point of releasing it if it's not even letting you get through the loading screens, let alone letting you play the actual game at all. Doesn't matter anyway because unless they decide to fix all this with an update I'm not bothering with this anymore, I'm not even going to even try the Predator campaign.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: RazorSlash on Mar 01, 2013, 08:00:14 PM
I'll have to pick up the rumored Vita version if the Vita ever supports the engine.

Wait, so there actually might be a Vita version?  I thought that was just fan speculation.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I downloaded this on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Works absolutely fine for me. I've played the first 4 or so missions and no crashing issues so far. It looks frigging lovely. Sometimes I forget how advanced these tablets/phones have come. I can see it being more difficult on the phone with the smaller area but works lovely on a tablet.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 02, 2013, 07:09:49 AM
Quote from: RazorSlash on Mar 01, 2013, 08:00:14 PM
I'll have to pick up the rumored Vita version if the Vita ever supports the engine.

Wait, so there actually might be a Vita version?  I thought that was just fan speculation.
During their Reddit Q&A, they were asked if they planned to release it on any other handhelds, like the Vita. They responed they the game would be perfect for the Vita, but that the engine it uses does not support it. They went on to say they'd definitely look into it.

Jango1201

Jango1201

I'm almost to the end of the game and I haven't experience any of the described problems.

newbeing

newbeing

I'm having a problem where the thermal vision is completely busted. Switching from normal to "tech" view works but as soon as I try to switch to thermal the screen blurs and essentially becomes a static image until I switch back to normal vision. Seems like a post proc effect is busted. I'm using IPhone 4.

zasz

zasz

Speaking of thermal vision, I've encountered another bug with that too. In the level where the lights go out, if I turn on thermal vision before it gets dark, the thermal vision will also go dark when the power is cut, as in you can see enemies, but not the environment, it's all a block of blue.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The side missions are hard as nails! Really loving playing the Alien though.

predxeno

predxeno

No shit, they don't even tell you the requirements to get 3 stars meaning we have to play and guess. >:(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed