Do Predators stink?

Started by overthere, Nov 06, 2021, 04:24:09 PM

Author
Do Predators stink? (Read 7,805 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

That was always my assumption, hence obsessing over the snake tongue stuff instead.

Out Of Universe, it's also clearly just an aesthetic choice to make it skull-ier.

However your point about the masks does stand and I have no good off the cuff answer to it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: overthere on Nov 06, 2021, 04:24:09 PM
I bet Predators have a distinctive smell about them.

They probably smell like a seafood restaurant.

Kradan

Kradan

First of all, what a great idea for a thread !

Never given this a thought before but I'd imagine Predators smell like rotten meat or something similarly disgusting. After all, they're not vegetarians

Master Chief

Master Chief

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Predator's odor is described in Predator South Sea China and from what I remember reading, it's bad.

Wysps

Wysps

The Tim Lebbon novels portray them as not smelling bad, just musky.

I imagine that they would smell frighteningly foul.  We've never been given any indication in the movies that they bathe or clean themselves.  Plus they spend substantial amounts of time covered in grime, so... idk, my money is on them stinking pretty bad.

Billiken

Billiken

All this talk about smells is going to make me puke  🤮 lol 😂

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Master Chief on Nov 10, 2021, 03:53:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Predator's odor is described in Predator South Sea China and from what I remember reading, it's bad.

I think I remember something about that.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

it should smell like "You-me- tonight- no underwear".

Car1os

Car1os

Two aspects spring to mind with regards to a species' odour: camoflage and chemical-social signaling.

Going with the look of their reptilian skin; has anybody stuck their nose on a reptile?  They don't really smell (unless they're furious and flinging something foul, or they've been sat in their own waste). For the purposes of both hunting and evading predators, it serves them to smell of their environment. 

The case for any kind of odour strong enough for humans to detect, with our rubbish olfactory senses, would be social signalling.  If they can't control this consciously, it wouldn't serve them well whilst hunting.

However, playing with rotting meat will absolutely ensure you're detected from a mile away.  They do spend time dressing and polishing the kills they want to keep, which would take care of the rotting smell aspect.

Given that they're supposed to be an intelligent species, I would be disappointed if they hadn't thought of these issues.   

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I bet their balls get sweaty though.

Kradan

Kradan

Thanks, now I'm gonna go vomit for an hour

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Alive Predators must have an distinctive odour of muddy swamp, crab's penise and a slight fishlike whiff of sophisticated rotten meat which they eat further supplemented with touch of their bodily excrements. I bet the meat is very crunchy. :-X

overthere

overthere

Well, Prey answers this question seeing how
Spoiler
the bear smells him. The Predator itself sniffed a cigar so it has a sense of smell too.
[close]

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: overthere on Nov 06, 2021, 04:24:09 PMI always thought in that scene where Dutch is hugging a tree and the Predator is right behind him that he should be able to smell him.
All that dripping and slime on them, mouth full of spit etc, that's bound to smell foul, right?
I bet Predators have a distinctive smell about them. Do the comics ever mention that?

Likewise, do Predators have a sense of smell? Jungle Hunter should have been able to smell Dutch. Days without a shower in the jungle? You don't need infrared to spot him.

Having an air-tight mask on would have prevented that.

It was clearly having some sort of gas piped in there.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 06, 2022, 12:32:00 AMHaving an air-tight mask on would have prevented that.

It was clearly having some sort of gas piped in there.

I meant Dutch being able to smell the Predator.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed