The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 16, 2018, 12:30:59 PM

Author
The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread (Read 134,794 times)

Kradan

Cheaper ? Why, they work for free ! As any good slave, I mean, communist should

bendinglight

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 15, 2021, 07:40:28 PM
Does someone knows if ADI are somewhat cheaper to hire than other renowned fx companies ? That could explain why they were hired on 3 of the four last movies.

Well my understanding is that they were too expensive to do the armor in The Predator for Fugitive, so definitely not cheaper.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 15, 2021, 08:39:15 PM
Cheaper ? Why, they work for free ! As any good slave, I mean, communist should

:laugh:

Quote from: bendinglight on Feb 15, 2021, 09:01:38 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 15, 2021, 07:40:28 PM
Does someone knows if ADI are somewhat cheaper to hire than other renowned fx companies ? That could explain why they were hired on 3 of the four last movies.

Well my understanding is that they were too expensive to do the armor in The Predator for Fugitive, so definitely not cheaper.

Ok, so it's even weirder somehow. Good thing though, I quite like Fugitive's armor. I like it way more than the face ;D. Exactly the way like you see a girl with a hot body but when you go up to the face you're like  ???

Kradan

But when the lights out, face is not that important

426Buddy

426Buddy

I actually think the overall paintwork and bodysuit on fugitive is excellent and superior to KNB's predator. If it wasn't for the huge head and shabby ADI mouth design he would be the better effort.

I'm actually fairly impressed with how detailed and well painted he is in comparison to their previous efforts.

ADI is a great effects studio but I dont care for some of their design motifs and their overall predator work. I would prefer this series went with another company from now on.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

From what I understood on The Predator was that the armor was outsourced to a Canadian studio for some sort of tax break. I could definitely be misremembering that but I think a Canadian studio was involved.

I don't know if ADI is cheap but a Predator suit most certainly isn't. I really wouldn't doubt if the bulk of the budget is getting that thing working and it only gets worse when you have multiple Predators and each film since the original has multiple. ADI does tend to reuse props and costume parts making productions cheaper. Winston did reuse a few things but by AVP once ADI got onboard they already had the working relationship. It also doesn't help that KPH was long gone by that point meaning they absolutely needed to rebuild the suit and while a few parts remained a lot of it just wasn't around anymore and the tech was outdated. They'd have to start from scratch regardless and they'd already been working with ADI on Alien.

Another thing is that ADI's Predator work does have its fans. People to this day for example want to see more of Wolf. While we might be critical of them they're reliably marketable and have a lot of hype behind them when even teased for a game or toy. That's something that the KNB Predators never really got. The Super Predators have some presence but they hype gets real whenever the AVP work gets a new toy or appears in a game. ADI might not be Winston quality but the work had shown merit by pimping movies more than a decade old this reliably.

BigDaddyJohn

I'm rooting for Legacy or Weta still. For the win. For my sanity. Please.

426Buddy

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Feb 15, 2021, 10:54:49 PM
From what I understood on The Predator was that the armor was outsourced to a Canadian studio for some sort of tax break. I could definitely be misremembering that but I think a Canadian studio was involved.

Correct, ADI did everything but the armor.

Just for clarification my praise of the suit and paint job was for the work that ADI did, not for the armor (which I liked but not as much as previous designs)

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 15, 2021, 09:49:14 PM

It's the most important thing, if you're not a pleb.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 15, 2021, 09:49:14 PM

Bruuhh that's pure Strausen mantra

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 15, 2021, 09:56:24 PM
I actually think the overall paintwork and bodysuit on fugitive is excellent and superior to KNB's predator. If it wasn't for the huge head and shabby ADI mouth design he would be the better effort.

The head never bothers me, but the mouth does. I always used to think Scar didn't look particularly moist but I think that was more my memory of the set photography than the actual film. Whenever I see the movie, the skin does actually look good IMHO. I've no issue if ADI returns for Skulls, I would just like to see them close their mouths and no flappy skin.

Kradan

Kradan

I believe in Arvey D. Ient

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 15, 2021, 09:56:24 PM

I'm actually fairly impressed with how detailed and well painted he is in comparison to their previous efforts.

I agree. When you even compare the Fugitive's paint application to Wolf and Scar, the skin paint detail work has improved by leaps and bounds. But with that came a price, where the head has grown in size by leaps and bounds. It's so utterly frustratingly awful to me.

QuoteADI is a great effects studio but I dont care for some of their design motifs and their overall predator work. I would prefer this series went with another company from now on.

From your lips to the Predator Gods' ears my friend! I think the majority of us Predator fans would welcome a change.

And to those who do not dislike ADI's work, what would harm would an FX house change bring (unless somehow one doesn't believe another fx house couldn't match ADI's level of quality.) ADI has already done 3 films. For better or worse, they've made their stamp on the franchise, in its history, which has been received with indubitably mixed reactions. So let's give some new blood a shot. Honestly, for a different FX house to be substantially worse than what we got from ADI in AvP, AvPR, and The Predator is really very slim to me.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 16, 2021, 05:16:26 PM
And to those who do not dislike ADI's work, what would harm would an FX house change bring (unless somehow one doesn't believe another fx house couldn't match ADI's level of quality.)

Well, for me it's not so much that I think that bringing in a new company would be a bad thing - not at all. It's the fact that you end the same paragraph with

Honestly, for a different FX house to be substantially worse than what we got from ADI in AvP, AvPR, and The Predator is really very slim to me.

You try to come out as diplomatic while still saying that ADI's work is low-quality. I happen to not share that opinion

And just the fact that you and many other members use every opportunity to say "Crabators are bad, boo ADI" gets on my nerves. I know that I'm in minority with that. You just asked - I answered

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 16, 2021, 05:24:22 PM
And to those who do not dislike ADI's work, what would harm would an FX house change bring (unless somehow one doesn't believe another fx house couldn't match ADI's level of quality.)

Well, for me it's not so much that I think that bringing in a new company would be a bad thing - not at all. It's the fact that you end the same paragraph with

Honestly, for a different FX house to be substantially worse than what we got from ADI in AvP, AvPR, and The Predator is really very slim to me.

You try to come out as diplomatic while still saying that ADI's work is low-quality. I happen to not share that opinion

Meaning, are you worried for the future of Predator if another fx house is brought on, that they possibly wouldn't be able to match ADI's level of quality?

I was saying the odds of us getting something substantially worse than what we got from ADI in AvP, AvPR, and The Predator (even if one likes it) is really very slim to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed